Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clio problems

Help please,

My Mrs clio is giving me grief went out to start it this morning and it fired up but died shortly after. Thought it might have been petrol so went and got some put it in and it fired up no problem. Took it to the shops for a paper and it was ok.

This afternoon i went out and same problem - it just died. I know there is petrol in it, I ve checked all the fuses and tested all the relays, all good. Fuel pump seems to be working as it primes when ignition is turned.

I suspect the spark, I dont have the the long socket to take out the spark plug and test it but i ve held the lead and never got a shock and put a wire against it. Nothing?

Will the coil still energise the plugs if say the knock sensor or tdc is broken? If there is no power in the ignition what else should i be looking at? I put a multi meter into the connection that powers the ignition unit and nothing there either>

Any ideas please?

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio problems

What model and year is it??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

2001 1.2 16v

Post Thanks / Like

TDC sensor and loom.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, do you mean just the two wires coming from the TDC sensor? Or the whole ignition loom?

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, not the whole engine loom, you can get a short piece of loom from Renault parts, off the top of my head the loom is around £26 and so is the sensor, they should be blue in colour.... Otherwise the 1.2 used to suffer from engine loom problems, in the injection compuer plugs, Renault injected silicon grease in them to keep out the weather..... Unfortunatly it goes hard with age.... Creates a large resistance and sends the wrong signals to the computer '**** in-**** out' is the old saying. The whole engine loom is around £120 and fitting is a bit of a pain as you have to access the throttle body etc. which is in the inltet manifold.....
    If it were me, I'd do the tdc sensor and loom first.
    Make sure you get the track no.s right otherwise it won't start....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, out of interest, should power be going into the ignition module when the car is switched on but not cranking?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump!!

Update, bought new TDC sensor. still not sparking. Begining to suspect the ignition unit.

The ignition unit works on the wasted spark principle so there is only 2 coils in a sealed unit. The resistance between two of the leads (1-4) is zero (first coil) which clearly is wrong because the resistance between 2-3 leads is 10 kOHMS (coil 2)

BUT, heres the question If one of the coils was goosed would the other still spark the two plugs connected to it? because none are sparking.

Also does any one know the location of any relevent relays to ignition on a clio i ve checked them all but not convinced?