Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

F7P misfire :(

Car passed its MOT today

However on route it started a massive misfire and spluttering. Car was struggling to move forward, got towed last few hundred metres. Changed over plugs and dizzy cap and rotor arm and misfire eased for a little while and then came back. The plugs are thick black colour. This car has been running all weekend for about 60 miles with no worries plus before hand as well on this map, im guessing its not fuel map related. What else could I be looking at. Going to plug in the wideband in next few nights to see what its running like.
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 18-05-2010 at 16:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: F7P misfire :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Car passed its MOT today

However on route it started a massive and spluttering. Car was struggling to move forward, got towed last few hundred metres. Changed over plugs and dizzy cap and rotor arm and misfire eased for a little while and then came back. The plugs are thick black colour. This car has been running all weekend for about 60 miles with no worries plus before hand as well on this map, im guessing its not fuel map related. What else could I be looking at. Going to plug in the wideband in next few nights to see what its running like.
    check engine earths, mine kept missing very very occasionally and it was due to one of the earth straps off the loom to the gearbox being loose

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

passed with a misfire like that he must have felt sorry for ya lol pushing it the lasted 100 yards how much did he charge you in then end then m8

Post Thanks / Like

Ill check the earth straps, not sure how many are on there, seem to think theres on one off the back of the block by the lifting eye. That was fine. Might put another one on there just in case.

Does it sound more ignition problem or fuel related problem. Could the FPR be playing up to cause this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorted this yet ?
    Be nice to have updates just in case I run into probs myself

Post Thanks / Like

Nope yet, parked at side of road at the moment, really need to sort out an AFR which works, last I dont was check all the wires make sure nothing has melted, changed all the plugs, leads, rotor arms, cap, check fuel pressure is constant, injectors are firing normally no spikes in map, all sensors are reading sensible readings from the ECU. Im getting stuck for ideas

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar thing happen to me actually when I was running DTA on a map I got from someone else (or may have been one I put on with advice over the phone ), limped it to track n road & was 100 yds from them by the time it was really bad, never did ask them what it was but they certainly sorted the problem out.... not alot of help was that really
    Does the lambda do anything , maybe it's faulty since you have tried other things, but yeah you need to hook it up to a wideband by the sounds of it, does adaptronic not let you see whats going on? I know I could run DTA on a laptop & see what was happening....

Post Thanks / Like

could it not be that its running rich and the plugs are sooting up after a while?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    could it not be that its running rich and the plugs are sooting up after a while?
    But what is causing it to run rich though? It was driving around for miles fine without any problems then just started. Spark plugs were sooted up but replaced those but misfire was still there with brand new plugs in.

Post Thanks / Like

no idea maybe fpr is yours standard or one of the ones with a gauge? fuel return line ok/ not blocked?

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coolant sensor.....?

Post Thanks / Like

mine did that, the inlet mani had cracked

Post Thanks / Like

Coolant temp on the log is behaving fine when it was misfiring. Might take a look at the manifold and see if there is anything noticeable there

Post Thanks / Like

my FPR is one of these adjustable ones and not the standard F7P one. Can screw in the gauge to messure it. Which getting a constant pressure, only problem is obviously cant drive whilst taking a look at it which dont help