Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rattle can Spraying

Ok I need a little bit of advice, I have had some bumper scrape damage to my Zafira bumpers to which I have repaired / preped / sanded and made perfect again but all they need now is spraying up, as I am going to use rattle cans from Vauxhall to get the correct matching colour any tips and advice on how to get a very nice shiny finish welcome.
    The colour is Star Silver 3 or known as 2AU 157 (According to my plates on the car), Obviously primer will be required but how many coats?, paint again how many coats? and the same with laquer how many coats? also is there any wet sanding required between coats or upon completion?

Many thanks James

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rattle can Spraying

Make sure the original surface is clean. If you've sanded it back, gradually step down the paper grades until you're happy with the finish.

Primer can be built up like the paint layers, so spray a few layers, let it dry and the add more if you feel it needs it. You can sand back the primer if you're not happy with it, then repeat the painting process again.

Just make sure you're regularly shaking the can.

You want build up the paint layers and spray from left to right starting from the top.

No need to rub it down, Ive rattled my bumpers before and I've never rubbed between coats.

The lacquer can be tricky, tends to be quite thin meaning a greater chance of running...

I'm no painter but a little practicing goes along away J
    Last edited by Spooky; 06-05-2010 at 10:26.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers

many thanks love bean

Post Thanks / Like

If you use rattle cans it will more than likely look ****e & not match, take it to a body shop dude & get it done right in the 1st place...

Post Thanks / Like

james, chips away would probably do it for around £60, my lasses old polo had been driven into in asda, it had the front corner of the bumper done and im sure it was about £60.

phil

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Steve, especially if you're looking to sell it on at some point

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I agree with Steve, especially if you're looking to sell it on at some point

OK pro jobs it is cheers guys