Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

alloy intercooler

ive scraped the cash together to get me an alloy intercooler, am i best getting the double for the extra money or will the single be ok for relativly mild modifications?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: alloy intercooler

I carried out a 'test' of various intercoolers a good few years back. To cut a long story short, GT Tuning's double capacity intercooler came out as the most efficient at reducing charge temp's.

Post Thanks / Like

Saying that, the o.e intercooler fairs well upto mediocre levels of boost.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

olly what money you talking? go the whole hog and geta fmic saves you doing it later. or go double.

Post Thanks / Like

ive been told mines 14psi , im just frightened i pop it,when i put my foot down, so for peace of mind im going to invest in analloy one, gt tuning u say, great ill invest,are they simmillar price to the forge? not too cheap!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ross99 View Post
    olly what money you talking? go the whole hog and geta fmic saves you doing it later. or go double.

which would u recommend ,i only want to buy this thing once

Post Thanks / Like

If your not upping the boost more, just buy a single core alloy job. No point in going fmic unless you want to up the power a lot.

Personally id just strap & flap the original intercooler, take about 30 mins tops.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    If your not upping the boost more, just buy a single core alloy job. No point in going fmic unless you want to up the power a lot.

Personally id just strap & flap the original intercooler, take about 30 mins tops.

im hoping to gain experience an gradually modify the car so in the future so i dont want to out grow any purchase i make now. i just want to try and make it bullet proof so i dont blow the car when im hoofing it occasionally

Post Thanks / Like

It will be fine as it is, you worry too much mate!

Bring it down mine at some point, ill strap/flap the intercooler if you like, cheap & reliable mod.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring it down mine at some point, ill strap/flap the intercooler if you like, cheap & reliable mod.

i am a worrier,because im so limited in knowledge at the moment , if it goes t1ts up at the side of the road ,ill be f***ked.

Post Thanks / Like

Get decent breakdown cover if you haven't already, a must for these cars sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ollyhock View Post
    ive been told mines 14psi , im just frightened i pop it,when i put my foot down
    For that level of boost/power, I'd personally mod' the standard intercooler by removing the thermostat & gubbins, divert the air full-time through the core, seal it back up, and run it thus so.

If you're gonna up the boost later down the line (>20psi), then maybe consider an alloy job.

If you're planning on ultimately running high power, then a front mount intercooler is best...or a charge-cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

if i throw some money at it mate will you fit it and charge it up as a job, id be happy to pay you to do it and know its done right. it is the money i had sidelined for some turbs but im having no luck getting themat the min

Post Thanks / Like

i am a worrier,because im so limited in knowledge at the moment , if it goes t1ts up at the side of the road ,ill be f***ked.

dont worry, if you blow the intercooler apart the car is still driveable. it just wont get past 80mph, and it gets there very very slowly!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    dont worry, if you blow the intercooler apart the car is still driveable. it just wont get past 80mph, and it gets there very very slowly!

cheers,thats reasurring.at the minute ive been driving my car like a tw*t, and then thrashing my wifes colt turbo

Post Thanks / Like

cheers,thats reasurring.at the minute ive been driving my car like a tw*t, and then thrashing my wifes colt turbo

on a off road race way i hope , watch what you say, you dont know whos watching

if you want it done right everything has to be up to sratch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave j gtt View Post
    on a off road race way i hope , watch what you say, you dont know whos watching

if you want it done right everything has to be up to sratch
    oh yeah always on an off road race track, what you think id do it on public roads?

Post Thanks / Like

just checked this morning, the intercooler has already been strapped, so it may be ok then, im itching to spend some cash on the car and improve it, any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

just checked this morning, the intercooler has already been strapped, so it may be ok then, im itching to spend some cash on the car and improve it, any suggestions?
    Since its working fine invest on peripherals such as suspension,tyres,brakes,silicone hoses,etc so when it's time for serious power you will have a car that'll be able to manage the extra power and be more reliable.Moreover most of these things are D.I.Y and you'll get to know your car better.

Post Thanks / Like

Suspension and brakes maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFish5Gt View Post
    Since its working fine invest on peripherals such as suspension,tyres,brakes,silicone hoses,etc so when it's time for serious power you will have a car that'll be able to manage the extra power and be more reliable.Moreover most of these things are D.I.Y and you'll get to know your car better.
    great minds . . . . . . . . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFish5Gt View Post

good thought , ill do that,the kits of about 14 samco hoses go for about 250-300 on ebay is this about rightas i can use buy it now and get them changed all in one go

Post Thanks / Like

good thought , ill do that,the kits of about 14 samco hoses go for about 250-300 on ebay is this about rightas i can use buy it now and get them changed all in one go
    Personally, id spend that money on the suspension first fella. At least you 'feel' some improvements for your money. Depends what you want though?

Post Thanks / Like

little bit of chat about it here.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ght=suspension

alot of people lower the rear torsion bar
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=458

and change the front springs for -30/-50mm. much cheaper option to improve the handling. Theres plenty of people on here who will be able to let you know what they believe is best.

Post Thanks / Like

looking at cars with samco hoses, seen this one on ebay, is the dump valve in the right place?

http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/10/c3/f283_1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonesGTT View Post
    little bit of chat about it here.

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ght=suspension

alot of people lower the rear torsion bar
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=458

and change the front springs for -30/-50mm. much cheaper option to improve the handling. Theres plenty of people on here who will be able to let you know what they believe is best.
    a lot of people on here seem to rate koni

Post Thanks / Like

I put KONI adjustables on mine!! They are Greeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttt!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

if u still wanted alloy intercooler my mate has got a pace single core sittin there.. plus not only being able to hold more boost without poppin it will also reduce charge temps a bit aswell..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb5 View Post
    if u still wanted alloy intercooler my mate has got a pace single core sittin there.. plus not only being able to hold more boost without poppin it will also reduce charge temps a bit aswell..
    Ill doubt a pace single core interwarmer will reduce charge temps at all...

Olly do the suspension/brakes first, wouldn't bother with the silicone hoses you wont see any performance benefits, all yours looked to be in good nick anyway.

Get some koni yellows on it, torsion bar reset. Set of mintex 1144 or ferodo ds2500 pads up front & your away.

Post Thanks / Like

fitted a double capacity alloy cooler to my 11 on saturday mornin and with out alterin the boost it seems to run a whole lot better

might be that the old cooler was leaking but if it was it wasn't lettin much go just seems to come on boost a lot better and harder as well

but i gonna be doin me torrsion bar next weekend as well as already dropped the front by 25mm the handling is much better........................

now just need to get to and do the back

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i personally rate the pace single core cooler an tests have proved it to be more efficient than standard.. also the strenth so ul never have to worry about it blowin apart.. also i agree get suspension done as itll let u enjoy ur power more lol

Post Thanks / Like

Iirc when mart tested all the std intercoolers back to back on trusty with a decent act gauge the single alloy pace intercooler was no more efficient than the std cooler. The only one that was worth a look was the gt tuning double capacity cooler

Post Thanks / Like

an tests have proved it to be more efficient than standard
    Fail.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i still beleive it to be a better unit even if its only to stop it blowing apart..

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer believing my own findings, as opposed to sales shpiel bollox found in 'lax power' esque magazines

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

many people use these with good results.. these are big companies that obviosly test then manufacture there product an invest in there products research.. so if there findings an a club member with some home testing/findings tend to differ then who knos, u must both be on different pages lol

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All you need is a test site, and Charge temp reader, and a nice selection of intercoolers, believe mart had all this and a track to rag his car around. I remember reading that the standard one was good. but as everyone else has said depends on what PSI you are wanting to run.

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably the best one that you can fit in the standard position................

If you decide to get a front mount cooler, you can have both together, just pipe them both in. That way you havent lost money buying the above.

Keep in mind that a strapped and flowed standard cooler will take a good 24 psi!!

Best to spend the money on suspension and brakes though, i would love some Koni yellows !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ganjaman View Post
    this Is Probably The Best One That You Can Fit In The Standard Position................

If You Decide To Get A Front Mount Cooler, You Can Have Both Together, Just Pipe Them Both In. That Way You Havent Lost Money Buying The Above.

Keep In Mind That A Strapped And Flowed Standard Cooler Will Take A Good 24 Psi!!

Best To Spend The Money On Suspension And Brakes Though, I Would Love Some Koni Yellows !
    Koni'sare Ordered

Post Thanks / Like

loving your immediate work ollyhock! What shall we tell him to buy next lol!?! Your car looks like a tidy standard example? Dont go abusing it too much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonesgtt View Post
    Loving Your Immediate Work Ollyhock! What Shall We Tell Him To Buy Next Lol!?! Your Car Looks Like A Tidy Standard Example? Dont Go Abusing It Too Much

Im Concsious That Its 17 Years Old And Totally Original, So All I Want To Do Is Alter The Suspension, Put On Some Colour Coded Turbines,when I Sourse Them And Make Engine Improvements,
    Thenthe Carshould Look The Dogs And Ill Have Not *******ised It, Dont Worry It Aint Going To Be An Ali G Gtt

Sorry For Upper Caseimnot Shouiting, Must Have Hit Caps Lock

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

[quote=GanJaMan;12805]This is probably the best one that you can fit in the standard position................

If you decide to get a front mount cooler, you can have both together, just pipe them both in. That way you havent lost money buying the above.

Keep in mind that a strapped and flowed standard cooler will take a good 24 psi!!

I think the advise on here is getting worse!! It wont take 24psi and if it did it would not cool efficiently.

Why would you pipe a front mount and a std cooler together?? For a start you looking at filling 2 volumes.

Post Thanks / Like

i personally rate the pace single core cooler an tests have proved it to be more efficient than standard.. also the strenth so ul never have to worry about it blowin apart..

We already know the 'tests' comment is baseless and at the pressures a pace intercooler could withstand over and above a strapped OE cooler, you'd have blown something else in the engine long before.

It's a complete waste of money save for the bling aspect.

Post Thanks / Like

many people use these with good results.. these are big companies that obviosly test then manufacture there product an invest in there products research.. so if there findings an a club member with some home testing/findings tend to differ then who knos, u must both be on different pages lol
    The difference being, is that I say it as it is and have nothing to gain from bullsh1tting people; never have, never will, nor am I trying to sell them something in the process.

If you believe that everything you buy is exactly what it says on the tin, then that's your opinion & prerogative. However, as you'll hopefully find out yourself over time, all is not what it's sometimes cracked up to be in the gtt engine tuning game.

Maybe try taking some measurements of your intercooler yourself. You might be surprised with your findings.

If you can't be bothered to do that, perhaps take note from those that have many many years experience of gtt's & the after-market products available for them, instead of trying to belittle said people with facts you can't substantiate.

Post Thanks / Like

As above...

And Sam, you make it out as if the companies making these tuning parts are making the highest quality parts, with F1 engineering precision, and have poured millions into research, which quite frankly, just isn't the case.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

it is indeed a bit naive to believe that tuning companies know best. I assure you they frequently don't.

Post Thanks / Like

anyone for a gt-tuning dump valve?

Post Thanks / Like

mi erd it dubalz da boozt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    The difference being, is that I say it as it is and have nothing to gain from bullsh1tting people; never have, never will, nor am I trying to sell them something in the process.

If you believe that everything you buy is exactly what it says on the tin, then that's your opinion & prerogative. However, as you'll hopefully find out yourself over time, all is not what it's sometimes cracked up to be in the gtt engine tuning game.

Maybe try taking some measurements of your intercooler yourself. You might be surprised with your findings.

If you can't be bothered to do that, perhaps take note from those that have many many years experience of gtt's & the after-market products available for them, instead of trying to belittle said people with facts you can't substantiate.
    ill vouch for that, i bought the motor induction thing and apparently its pants, i was taken in by the bullsh1t

Post Thanks / Like

ill vouch for that, i bought the motor induction thing and apparently its pants, i was taken in by the bullsh1t
    never mind though if i take the motor off ive got an air filter for a ££££100 pounds