Post Thanks / Like

Boysies Raider Project

Right, after months of daily lurking on here, for ideas, tips and more importantly, inspiration!!
    So i thought i would start a new thread here to share my progress, and also start being a more active member after months of lurking in the shadows!!

well after sitting in the garage gathering what looks like volcanic dust, i rolled it out this morning to start work, and it looked like this..
    (sorry for crap quality photos, had phone set to lowest quality setting)

i have removed petrol tank first job cos it had the leraky yellow plug, and took exhaust off while i was under there, had a good poke around floor and it seems pretty good as its all been sealed , then i moved on the bodywork and removed bodykit, wings and bonnet....

then i started getting worried, found a fair bit of rust, strange thing tho is its all on drivers side, passenger side is fairly mint

big hole in front wheel arch, at end of sill......

middle of drivers side sill..........

Another sexy sill shot

Inside rear arch, at end of sill

Inside rear passenger arch, rust painted over with sealer, prodded it with screwdriver and it went through into boot dont know how much more is covered

beam underneath floor of boot (is it called rear beam?)
    hoping it looks worse than it is, bit worried about this

does all this look bad? im hoping this isnt all a big problem, and i dont find anymore, so another raider can grace the streets again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boysies Raider Project

Its better than mine was, but still gonna need quite a bit of time on it, unfortunately. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on ya for making a start

I'm sure it's not the best but with effort and some grafting, she'll be sweet

Good luck mate

Post Thanks / Like

Right, got back to it again this weekend after a few weeks of DIY around house

Started looking into getting the engine out, but thought i would do a quick compression test first, but wish i didnt........

all 4 pots measured around 75psi ............BUT........ after coming on here i realised i should have had the throttle open.......

two other things to take into account, engine was not running and cold, already taken fuel tank off to repair leaky yellow bung, it was running off jump leads cos battery is flat, turning over at a half decent speed,
    and also i dont know if this matters, but there is no exhaust fitted,or any boost pipe fitted after carb top, does any of this effect results?

this is first time i have ever done a compression test, but i noticed it took about 5 or 6 cranks to get pressure up to 75 on all pots, sort of went 25, 50, 60, 65, 70, 75 and then when you stopped it lost pressure in a few seconds, is this normal?

Funny thing is it started, run and pulled ok when running, no clouds of smoke, plugs were fine when i removed them, a little soot but nothing bad, although i dont really know the history of this engine,

so, would the trottle make such a big differance? or is it fecked anyway

Post Thanks / Like

That's Bommers old car, right? Don't know if you'd know of him though

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

if all are low id think its user error, crack on with other jobs and worry about the engine at a later date, im sure its fine... i bet a curly wurly on it

Post Thanks / Like

If the engine ran ok i wouldnt worry about the comp readings, the gauge may be duff if pressure is dropping!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it is bommers old car! dont really know him, just met him once when i bought the car off him, hes a nice guy and seems to know a thing or 3 about fives,i guess you know him bric?
    i did get another 2 spare engines off him anyway! one is newly rebuilt but bottom end bearings are knakked, and the others head has gone and has been stood outside in his garden for god knows how long!! (with no sparkplugs in too)

not too bothered about the low readings at the moment,i was just checking them before taking engine out to get bodywork all prepped up,i will worry about it later

the engine will be getting rebuilt but i figured if the compression is ok i could get away with just doing the head work on the rebuild and not the piston rings, cos to be honest been a bit of a noob i think i would probably be a bit out my depth there and make a ballax of it

If i get chance i will retry it again today with throttle open and see if its any better, but it could be a duff gauge as you say brigsy, if not dangerous dave owes me a curly whirly
    Last edited by boysie; 31-05-2010 at 07:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh mate, I knew him.. he is a sound guy

Post Thanks / Like

got back to it again, had a good day cos this happened

Just begging to be removed

Oil, water dropped, all pipes and wires removed, drive3 shafts out after a few hours of shouting, swearing, and a bit more swearing, then my shiney new hoist ready for action..... then realise i left a bolt in rear mount, and havent removed gear linkage

Another hours worth of swearing and it, coming coming.....................

Bingo!!

ohhh look a 3 wheeler

all wheels back on, and that will do me, probably pass mot at my local place now!

well i know its nothing major, but im dead chuffed with myself today, never taken a engione out before and to do it on my own i8 feel like im getting somwere with it now and learning a fair bit, cant wait to crack on again tomorrow, but i think i have earned a pizza and a magners or 3 tonight

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

well done on the engine removal, I will give you £50 if you want rid of that strut brace

Post Thanks / Like

good man, its a good feeling pulling the engine out on your own for the first time......even better when you`ve put it back in and turn the key

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Blimey....your brave lifting it out by the clutch cable hole....snap! New casing please!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt5 View Post
    Blimey....your brave lifting it out by the clutch cable hole....snap! New casing please!!!

yea! wondered if anybody would notice that! another box is going in cos that one is pretty whiney so i thought sod it! , and anyway im a noobie, so im allowed to do stupid things like that anyway

sorry penfold, its getting cleaned up and going back on

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boysie View Post

sorry penfold, its getting cleaned up and going back on
    Thats cool, I am after one, not going to pay stupid bucks for one tho, look after that one as they are rare as rocking horse ****.....except every 5 i have had has had one

Post Thanks / Like

got a question tho, i had i flick trough haynes before i started on how to remove driveshafts, it say somthing about removing rollpins, but i dont have a clue were they are! i ended up unbolting shocks and pulling hubs forward to pop shafts out, but i would like to take them out totally for when i clean bay up and it goes for spraying , so were are these roll pins located?

Post Thanks / Like

Only roll pin is on o/s (drivers side) drive shaft, it's gearbox end, knock it out and the shaft will slide off with a bit of a tickle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boysie View Post
    got a question tho, i had i flick trough haynes before i started on how to remove driveshafts, it say somthing about removing rollpins, but i dont have a clue were they are! i ended up unbolting shocks and pulling hubs forward to pop shafts out, but i would like to take them out totally for when i clean bay up and it goes for spraying , so were are these roll pins located?
    if you look on the o/s drive shaft where it sides/attaches over the gear box shaft there lies your pin. The n/s is held on with the 3 bolts making that one nice and easy.

Its looks like its going to be a nice raider once finnished, if you get stuck there are always helpful chaps on here to steer you in the right location.

Post Thanks / Like

now i'm looking at it on the computer i can see what you've done.

to get the driveshafts off now you'll need a friend to step on the brake pedal while you wind the nut off the end of the shaft, then it'll just slide out, job done.

you'll find the roll pin in the bit of the driveshaft assembly you've left attached to the gearbox, should be easier to knock out now!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replys, and the encouragement !
    i see what you mean about the shafts now ill give it a go tomorrow

haynes are good but they seem to skim over some stuff like that, 3 spanners my arse!

Post Thanks / Like

this looks like a good one to follow. if you want some more inspo check out my project tread. it'll prob make you feel better about your rust anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

*****Mega Update!!!*****

its been a while since i updated here, the car has been in bodyshop for about a month now as a mate of a mate has been sorting bodywork out and doing respray inbetween jobs, and here are whats happened since last update!

cleaning up engine bay...

more

done!

then it was off to bodyshop...

and the end results...

its raining btw!

more

and finally..

and thats up to date!

next up is swapping the bushes, some new springs and shocks, new loom and then start with the engine rebuild,

fun fun fun!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very tidy

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

looking good, seeing alot of 5's getting bodywork sorted lately.. something that really puts them in the scrap yards as a skanky 5 doesn't last long out there..

looks like the number of gtt's is going down but the quality is going up

Post Thanks / Like

not had much to update about latley till now, havent been able to put as many hours in as i would like , so heres what i have been up to..

stripped suspension,new fitted bushes, springs, poly dougnuts, and new rod ends,swapped steering rack gaitors and the rubber blub thing!
    cleaned and wire brushed all parts up, etch primed and sprayed matt black, but then sprayed gloss cos i thought it looked cleaner!
    Also fitted new brake pipes front and rear, and cleaned calipers up, ready to be fitted.....

sprayed inside arch with clear waxoyl and cleaned stub axel, sprayed and replaced bearings

got bored one afternoon and decided to clean and spray some random bits

decided to refit original engine to get it back on the road,before my interest starts to lag, then i will really go to town on the other engine with a total rebuild, piston and liners, the job lot!

so i degreased it sprayed the box and block

going back in.........

its in!

just like to point out i fitted that on my own!!

next job is the head off for a quick skim and valves relapping, clean up then its back together,
    while thats away a new loom will be going in,
    its getting there.......slowly........

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read this project good on you for getting stuck in I will be watching this

Post Thanks / Like

Great work mate

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work, really coming along good plan getting the engine back in asap, you really have to get it on the road to get your motivation back sometimes..