Post Thanks / Like

No Spark

Right then guys, i wonder if any1 can point me in the right direction.

As you may or may not know ive fitted a b18ft engine into my R5.

Recently i fitted a new fuel pump, fuel filter and new fuel hoses and the pump works great.

So once we did that we thought we would see if it would fire up and it did for about a second. The was with the old intercooler thrown on so not the greatest job in the world.

So today we fitted the fmic and made a good job of it etc etc, everything was fitted and it looks spot on.

Went to fire it up and all it would do is turn over, it wouldnt fire up.

its gettin fuel etc etc, so we put a spark plug checker on and it didnt light up, no spark.

So i bought a new coil thinking it might be the problem, and still it wouldnt make a spark. So just as a quick test we put a wire directly off the battery to the coil and it did make the plug spark but very very dim, but putting back the way it was still no spark.

Any1 have any ideas?

also id like to ad that im using the whole volvo loom, engine and interior just so you know

cheers

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No Spark

TDC

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott25 View Post
    So just as a quick test we put a wire directly off the battery to the coil and it did make the plug spark but very very dim, but putting back the way it was still no spark.

Ok ignore my comment on TDC looks like you need to eliminate power supply wires to the coil pack (ignition live etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    TDC
    i did look at this and its all connected up.

nothing has changed since the other day, minus fitting the intercooler.

one thing i will say thou, is the fuel pump relay has a constant live, this was working fine, but today for the first time it didnt

Post Thanks / Like

you have conection issues

work out your wiring and test all lives(+) and negs (-)
    the prob is most prob simple all you gotta do is find were the prob is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THE MASTER View Post
    you have conection issues

work out your wiring and test all lives(+) and negs (-)
    the prob is most prob simple all you gotta do is find were the prob is
    I cant understand how 1 min it fires up then the next it doesnt, nothing has changed.

Im new to all this wiring crap, ive got the wiring diagram off the net for the volvo and im trying to get my head round it like. i think ive found out which pin from the ecu goes to the relay.

i take it that its just a 12v ignition feed to the coil?

Post Thanks / Like

keep it simple . put your muliti meter in were you need the volts .
    wiggle the wiring see if the meter readings change when you wigle . ohh er misses

Post Thanks / Like

best way ive found to find a fault . is to find when it hapens and why or how..
    yes it takes time but when you work out how to get the fault to happen . then you can make the fault happen when ever you like and not at randum .

Post Thanks / Like

best way ive found to find a fault . is to find when it hapens and why or how..
    yes it takes time but when you work out how to get the fault to happen . then you can make the fault happen when ever you like and not at randum .
    this is thou i dnt know where or why this has happened, im not 100% sure where to start looking.

im gunna disconnect a few things and check there connections and put them bk like.

i just find strange that the constant power for the fuel relay spots today and so does the sparkplugs,

Post Thanks / Like

best place to start is . think

when does the fault happen most ??
    when does the fault happen lest ??

could be wet day, dry day . in the morning in the evening difernt temps etc

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

why is the fuel pump on permanent live? connect it to the chunky grey wire from the fuse/relay bit of the volvo loom, if its not firing up its because the ecu isn't seeing the engine crank, ie tdc. did you unplug from the loom when fitting the ic? coil packs aren't usually a prob on these unless damaged. have you knocked off your main live to the volvo loom, assuming you've took from the alt? just thinkin of things round the front end

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    why is the fuel pump on permanent live? connect it to the chunky grey wire from the fuse/relay bit of the volvo loom, if its not firing up its because the ecu isn't seeing the engine crank, ie tdc. did you unplug from the loom when fitting the ic? coil packs aren't usually a prob on these unless damaged. have you knocked off your main live to the volvo loom, assuming you've took from the alt? just thinkin of things round the front end
    the volvo fuel pump relay has a constant live going to it, then a ignition live, ignition earth and then live feed to pump.
    the constant live to the relay just stopped today, nothing to it.

this is it has fired up, briefly for a second thou,

main live? if ive knocked it off i wouldnt know where to look to put it back on lol

took from alt?

wiring isnt my strong point lol

Post Thanks / Like

best place to start is . think

when does the fault happen most ??
    when does the fault happen lest ??

could be wet day, dry day . in the morning in the evening difernt temps etc
    the car hasnt been on the road for 2years, been rebuilding it you see.
    the past few weeks is when we have started to get it running like. not has chance b4 due to waiting for parts to arrive etc etc.

since putting the engine in, the first time it ran was last week for a second, thats it, since then it just turns over

Post Thanks / Like

have you tryed powering up the fuel pump . without the relay (ie a direct suply)

Post Thanks / Like

have you tryed powering up the fuel pump . without the relay (ie a direct suply)
    the fuel pump works with and without the relay. there is fuel gettin there there, just no bloody spark lol,

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

any pics of you engine bay? pretty sure if you've not unplugged anythin then you may have disturbed the main live to the volvo loom. its the large red wire, will be near the rad and usually connected onto the alternator live

Post Thanks / Like

any pics of you engine bay? pretty sure if you've not unplugged anythin then you may have disturbed the main live to the volvo loom. its the large red wire, will be near the rad and usually connected onto the alternator live

i can get some pictures 2moro

i think i know which cable you are talking about, is the one with a inline fuse init, big plastic thing

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

could be, the 5's dont use an inline fuse, nor do volvo, but the chap who's done the conversion may have fitted one. worth checkin the fuse in that case too

Post Thanks / Like

if you just started the car then turned it off straight away are you sure you didnt just flood it??

Post Thanks / Like

sorry forget my comment didnt read the whole thing! wouldnt affect the spark.

Post Thanks / Like

well today me and a mate started stripping all the covers and tape that are on the loom.
    We found out why the fuel relays constant live wasnt working, there is a connector that joins onto the loom it was alittle lose so sorted that out

anyway, in stripping the cables back we found this, what the hell is it

also, on the this pic, what i have circled in red, what the hell is that too

we also found that the jetronic box has a constant live feed onto pin 5, on checking this it was dead, nothing,

Post Thanks / Like

The cylinder thing looks like a capacitor / suppressor. Its filters out noise. Ignore it, its fine.

The ringed item is the ignition switch block on back of ignition barrel. Also Check that dead wire on the jetronic box with the ignition on as it should'nt make any difference as long as its got power to it when the ignition is turned on the ecu will run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac trasher - Nick View Post
    The cylinder thing looks like a capacitor / suppressor. Its filters out noise. Ignore it, its fine.

The ringed item is the ignition switch block on back of ignition barrel. Also Check that dead wire on the jetronic box with the ignition on as it should'nt make any difference as long as its got power to it when the ignition is turned on the ecu will run.
    cheers for that info mate

one quick question,

if you look at the picture above, you see on pin 5 there is a constant battery feed then the ignition then a feed from that to pin 6

so today we put a constant live onto pin 5 and it melted a cable on pin 11

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

was the fault the loom live at the alt? its a supressor near the coil connector aint it? just leave it be lol.
    there's actually two wiring diagrams regarding the ecu lives, one has extra live other is done internally or summit, scoff has it engraved in his brain tho!
    i cant stress enough, dont just poke about with the ecu, especially with a live, it always goes wrong!
    does it fire uo yet?

Post Thanks / Like

was the fault the loom live at the alt? its a supressor near the coil connector aint it? just leave it be lol.
    there's actually two wiring diagrams regarding the ecu lives, one has extra live other is done internally or summit, scoff has it engraved in his brain tho!
    i cant stress enough, dont just poke about with the ecu, especially with a live, it always goes wrong!
    does it fire uo yet?
    it was near the alt, there is a multi connector that goes on the live feed, it was that which was acting up

on the ecu, looks like 2 live feeds going in, one of pin 5 and other on a different pin
    both were dead

na it doesnt fire, no spark wot to ever

Post Thanks / Like

well today, feeling alittle bad that i might have f*cked my mates ecu i thought i would take a look inside.
    it all looks ok, nothing looks burned out or anything.
    one thing i did notice thou, and i may be wrong but the ecu it self has 2 plastic mounts and 1 metal, upon taking the cover off i saw that it looks like that metal mounts connects possible and might be a earth, i could be way out with that idea.
    i reconnected it to the original constant live feed on the loom and connected it bk to pin 5.
    while looking at the loom i saw 2 cables going to pin 5. 1 is the one i cut and now reconnected the other was a black one, then joined a bright breen one, also joing that cable was a green cable that went to a pin that isnt numbered. then then went into the engine bay to a funky connector.

thats this connector/mount that i thought might be a earth

that this funky connector that goes to pin 5 and a unknown pin

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

that funky connetor is for the lambda probe i think, if its the very end of loom by coil.
    that ecu doesn't power up until the engine cranks. its on the same fuse as the fuel pump relay, they both work together, if your fuel pump is wired to the correct volvo wire its easier for fault finding. the reason both pins are dead are because they aren't being turned on by the ignition ecu, maybe because its not seein the flywheel turn?
    assuming battery is FULLY charged, as this can have affects, you should only have live on the red wires, and live only with ignition on the greys (poss with white or red tracer, i forget). browns are all earths, brown with black tracers are for sensors.
    start with that. like i said, there are a few wiring diagrams so dont always take them as gospel

Post Thanks / Like

that funky connetor is for the lambda probe i think, if its the very end of loom by coil.
    that ecu doesn't power up until the engine cranks. its on the same fuse as the fuel pump relay, they both work together, if your fuel pump is wired to the correct volvo wire its easier for fault finding. the reason both pins are dead are because they aren't being turned on by the ignition ecu, maybe because its not seein the flywheel turn?
    assuming battery is FULLY charged, as this can have affects, you should only have live on the red wires, and live only with ignition on the greys (poss with white or red tracer, i forget). browns are all earths, brown with black tracers are for sensors.
    start with that. like i said, there are a few wiring diagrams so dont always take them as gospel

well today ive found that the ecu has power coming in when i turn the ignition on pin.
    The coil is powered via pin 16. it had a funky symbol on it which after a bit of digger i think means pulse.
    is there a particular way to measure for a pulse?
    i measued across pin 16 and earth and nothing, no reading wot so ever.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

just assume the ecu works, put it bac together and plug everything in, with ignition on do you have power on one of the 2 fuses? and power to one relay? then with engine cranking does the other realy and fuse power up? if not the problem is before the volvo loom

Post Thanks / Like

just assume the ecu works, put it bac together and plug everything in, with ignition on do you have power on one of the 2 fuses? and power to one relay? then with engine cranking does the other realy and fuse power up? if not the problem is before the volvo loom

My r5 is using a full Volvo loom engine and interior all the wiring in the car is Volvo wiring. Today we checked that igintion ecu had power which it has then we checked the fuel ecu had power and it has. We checked the cables between the ecu and coil and there isn't any breaks but there is no power wot so ever.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, even more complictated then, well just fault find on the engine loom, with your test points where it meets the interior loom. i've only used that in the past when using the volvo clocks. both ecu's should be live with ignition on, but from memory when the engine cranks the timing ecu triggers the fuel ecu to earth, coil to turn on along with fuel pump, that's why i suggest the pump be on the volvo loom as can be heard instead of watchin those spark testers. what resistance are you gettin across the tdc, think it shoulf be around 254?
    i think the same power wire of the coil also connects to the idle control valve and possibly the throttle, do you have power there?