Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

10k hot hatch peoples opinions...

i'm looking at getting a new car and wondering on peoples opinions on the following cars, looking on trader i can get a 06 -50k miles for around the 10 grand mark on the following-

focus st

astra vxr

megan sport 225

anyone driven any of these any of these cars to give a honest comparison? all pretty simlar insurace/power/saftey from the specs.

cheers rikki

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 10k hot hatch peoples opinions...

Mk1 clio v6

Post Thanks / Like

ive driven the meganes, nice quick car, it was a standard 225 and the seating position wasnt very good, felt high and wallowy, should imagine with the recaros it would feel like a completely different car.

Post Thanks / Like

it depends are you after a weekend play thing or daily runner.for tracks or back road thrasher id prob say 225,vxr,st but daily reliable cheap fun road car id say st,vxr then megane at bottom of the pile!!
    arre you after something newish?you could get a lot of japanese magic for that sort of cash!!

Post Thanks / Like

if i was gonna spend 10k i would be lookin at an audi or an m3,

the depreciation of all of those cars will be ridiculous but if its one of the 3 i think i would pick the megane, or close 2nd is the astra all quick cars my mate had a brand new vxr and was taken back within a month with turbo problems, .........ryan p on here hasnt long had an st pm him to see what he thinks ? i know its really heavy on fuel,......... and my other friend has the megane sport but diesel still has 170bhp and is really economical and has loads of torque and still looks good?

Post Thanks / Like

that sort of cash would get you a nice vag engined something or an older m3 both of which should be quick and bombproof.
    or an older evo,scoob,pulsar etc which will be quick but may need some love!!

Post Thanks / Like

clio trophy mmmmm...................................

Post Thanks / Like

hell yea. id have a ff 172 over a 225 any day

Post Thanks / Like

the harder you push them the better it gets

Post Thanks / Like

Could get a nice evo for 10 large, all depends what you want to use the car for i suppose

Out of the list id have the 225 personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. with that kind of wonga i would be looking at an evo, they can be made stupidly quick and look the nuts too. Wouldn't be to plesent paying for fuel to go down to pod ect or for a weekend away and may end up being slightly unreliable. The more sensable option would be some german metal. Comfort/performance/style/safety/reliability, If slightly boaring and common.

I know you like you cars to handle well and would have fun with something like an elise or similar but then the practicality would be compleatly lost.

I like the vxr's 225's ect but just kind of get the feeling with 10k i would be wanting something a bit more outside the box if you get my drift.

Buy a five and 172 turbo it! You know you want too!
    Last edited by GTphil; 16-04-2010 at 11:29.

Post Thanks / Like

That depends what Evo you're after. Evo 5's can be had for as little as £5k now - which is seriously cheap for what you get. 6's start at about £6k, but a very good one will set you back about £7.5k-£8k. For £10k you could a 7, or maybe an 8. The prices are all over the place though, as is the condition of the cars.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother has an ST and if I'm honest it's probably one of the nicest driving positions of any car Ive driven, its a delight to drive! Problem is though, it's a Ford. (he hates it when I say that). Nice car though.

The VXR's are 10 to the penny round here (Ellesmere Port is home of the Astra) and if Im honest, do very little for anyone apart from those who buy them and then realize it's just an astra....

Megane..Hmmm, always had a soft spot for them....But like everyone on here, Im a renault nut....

ST all the way for me....Closely followed by the megane!

Post Thanks / Like

For 10 large, you could probably squeeze an R26 Megane with the trick diff.

ST's are good cars, and not that far off from RS performance in the real world.

Evo is definitely another good option

Post Thanks / Like

Lancer fastback Ralliart, De tuned Evo engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Evo 8 ftw, astra vxrs are quite common round my end, I think the 225 looks the best out of the 3!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lomo View Post
    My brother has an ST and if I'm honest it's probably one of the nicest driving positions of any car Ive driven, its a delight to drive! Problem is though, it's a Ford. (he hates it when I say that). Nice car though.

The VXR's are 10 to the penny round here (Ellesmere Port is home of the Astra) and if Im honest, do very little for anyone apart from those who buy them and then realize it's just an astra....

Megane..Hmmm, always had a soft spot for them....But like everyone on here, Im a renault nut....

ST all the way for me....Closely followed by the megane!
    Same opinion here, my little bro bought a new st3 at the end of last year and had it mountuned, absolute awesome discreet car, that is just as happy trundling around as well as being thrashed. If you can get an st3 with the full recaro leather interior it's a very nice place to be

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the Evo VII-IX here

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have a Nissan 350Z. Not a hot hatch strictly, I realise that but then Scoobys and EVOs, M3s are saloon/coupe cars, not hot hatches.

Hot hatch - Clio V6 255. Maybe Golf R32.

Post Thanks / Like

Get one of these bad boys!

I'm loving the shade of poo brown! You might even have some change to fill the tank up, come and pick me up and we can go for a cruise!

Post Thanks / Like

Mini cooper s works?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
    Same opinion here, my little bro bought a new st3 at the end of last year and had it mountuned, absolute awesome discreet car, that is just as happy trundling around as well as being thrashed. If you can get an st3 with the full recaro leather interior it's a very nice place to be
    Thats exactly what my brother has with the full Recaro and it's a delight! And similarly he's had it tuned and it goes like a little stealth bomber..I'm glad he's not a member on here any more as I can say this without him hearing...He has one very nice motor!...

And Trev...255 V6 you say....Now your talking ....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers for the replies guys

-car will be for nipping to the shop/day to day,evening and weekend use, i have a works van in the day, have a baby on the way so needs to be practical/safe, so clio v6 is out unfortunately.
    -m3 i had my hart set on, and before i i got the news was planning on getting, but for a 2005/6 with reasonable miles looking at 15grand

bill j-what are the reliability/running cost like on an evo never considered it, 4 door too

clio good fun car but want something a bit bigger

the only other car was i thought of was an rx8 mate has the new r3 but the engine really needs revving and i prefer the feel of a turbo

will be keeping an old renault for fun/tinkering so just really want something respectable and fun.

gt phil- i can't believe you instruct new drivers in that! can go for a skid in the 19 chamade i just got off mattgt (he's changed) when ever your free mate will be good to catch up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
    bill j-what are the reliability/running cost like on an evo never considered it, 4 door too
    Reliability wise, it's like anything - Buy a good one, and maintain it properly, and you should be laughing. Buy a dog (there's A LOT of them out there), and it could give you no end of bother.

I bought mine last August. I use it every day, and I've done about 8k miles. The ball joints were shot when I got it, but apart from that I've not had to spend a penny on it (touch wood), excluding servicing.

Yes, they are quite expensive to run. £50 worth of fuel will do me less than 200 miles. It's needs a service every 4500 miles/6 months (costs between £150 - £250). And if it does break, it can cost a mortgage! HOWEVER, when you drive it, all that goes out of the window, to be replaced by nothing but