Post Thanks / Like

4wd 5

anyone know or have them selves a r5 with 4wd? would like to know if it was worth all the effort to build and how if at all much better it handles?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4wd 5

i wish!

Post Thanks / Like

A well known article is the Cosworth Renault5. It had the shell dropped onto a Sierra floorpan, performance wasn't well known about as the car had wiring issues (so they say) and it went up in flames.

Or Ian Nixons twin engine'd car, which never produced any spectacular times/termainls, the fwd cars have bettered it by far infact.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure front wheel five with high bhp and good management system etc would be better would be nice to have a 4wd five but seems the normal 2wd murders most 4wd cars with right mods

Post Thanks / Like

i dont see the point of twin engine cars but like the sound of the cossie, was thinking of nissan pulsar gti-r running gear and engine in a 5 that would be ace!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

at what cost?? pulsars are 4k

Post Thanks / Like

It was done to a mini and it looked horrendous.

A guy on the GTiR oc put a Pulsar engine in a Micra, which ended up coming 2nd at TOTB a few years ago, however he kept that fwd as using the floorpan was too much of a job. That car however met a nasty fate on a track day as the back end lifted doing over 120mph (the car was recorded doing over 170mph previously) due to bad aerodynamics. The driver, who built the car, didn't exactly walk away from the crash but did survive.

Although, so he said, the transmission alone cost £7k, whether that's true or not I don't know. The engine spec was similar to what I used.

Post Thanks / Like

na sure you could find one a lot cheaper than that as only running gear would be needed jus thought it may be something people may have thought about them selves.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ever heard of co drag effeincy? think thats what it is, but anyone know what i mean?

Post Thanks / Like

drag co-efficient, like co-efficients of friction, everything has a value of its resistance to be moved, like ice sliding on ice has i think the lowest co-efficient, whereas rubber on tarmac is obviously much higher(dont confuse that with rolling resistance tho)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It would still cost £2-3k just for the running gear as unfortunately pulsars are worth more in bits, i've just been given (i.e. for nothing!) a rolling shell with v5 to transplant my pulsar engine back out of the gti into.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    i dont see the point of twin engine cars but like the sound of the cossie, was thinking of nissan pulsar gti-r running gear and engine in a 5 that would be ace!!
    I've thought about this but I would be more tempted with a S3 running gear

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post

A guy on the GTiR oc put a Pulsar engine in a Micra, which ended up coming 2nd at TOTB a few years ago, however he kept that fwd as using the floorpan was too much of a job. That car however met a nasty fate on a track day as the back end lifted doing over 120mph (the car was recorded doing over 170mph previously) due to bad aerodynamics. The driver, who built the car, didn't exactly walk away from the crash but did survive.
    Wow.. that's something I've been thinking about although it's more likley my front would lift.. do you have any more details of the micra?

Post Thanks / Like

pulsars arent 4k anymore unfortunately, well you will pay that for either a highly tuned one or an absilute immaculate one perhaps, but they often go for around the 2k mark nowadays. Running gears not great though.. specially the gear boxes. Its not fiction when people say the gear boxes are ****e lol.

Ive got a pulsar which is being highy tuned at the moment and will be one of the fastest road going ones in the uk at 650 horsies, its got a quaiffe gear set in, which has been shot peened and heat treated and the box itself has also been shot peened, but even so i arent expecting it to last long lol!

I think they guy with the micra was Fusion Ed, he owns/runs Fusion Motorsport and hes one of the top guys regarding tuning and dyno work etc, il ty dig some info out of the gtiroc tonight for you

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ian nixons car now belongs to my best mates friend mark deville. my best mate justin built my 5 turbo with me and boy is he a god at engine building. i know and trust him like family. he is building two new engines for marks car and it should be getting power up towards the 650+bhp so should be doing good times then. as for mine next year justin is going to build me a twin turbo c1j engine. should be intresting.

Post Thanks / Like

as a micra k11 owner, i have looked into modding them. even a 1.6 engine need to have a chunk cut out of the chassis rail to give the water pump clearance. the 2litre turbo would need alot more work....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MADFIVE View Post
    ian nixons car now belongs to my best mates friend mark deville. my best mate justin built my 5 turbo with me and boy is he a god at engine building. i know and trust him like family. he is building two new engines for marks car and it should be getting power up towards the 650+bhp so should be doing good times then. as for mine next year justin is going to build me a twin turbo c1j engine. should be intresting.
    Is that Justin who use to work with Ian at Europarts your on about mate?

The idea of a twin turbo C1J has been thought about and to be honest not worth the effort mate, best spending your money on mods which will work well on the engine mate.
    Last edited by Markey Mark (BD); 13-04-2010 at 15:44.

Post Thanks / Like

what bout a supercharger to get a big lag monster spinning?

Post Thanks / Like

If you were going to consider it properly I'd personally go for a mid engine coversion with 6r4 style transmission arrangement. Putting the pulsar sr20 lump together with it's chocolate transmission (I blew three up sprinting and one was a quaife box with the casing mod) is just putting so much wieght in the front that it's never gonna handle amazingly well. Another more feasable option is the 1600 Mazda 323 4x4 Bf quite Light and neat engine a transmission package, hence you wouldn't Have to hack the front chassis legs to peices and good for
    well over 250hp without too many probs, fairly light as well

Post Thanks / Like

Or Ian Nixons twin engine'd car, which never produced any spectacular times/termainls, the fwd cars have bettered it by far infact.
    I thought Ian was in the 11s with it? And although I don't remember approx terminals I didn't think it had been bettered by a whole lot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    I thought Ian was in the 11s with it? And although I don't remember approx terminals I didn't think it had been bettered by a whole lot?
    11.1 @ 120mph is what i remember, time yes is quick but terminals are not so impressive anymore considering what single engines 5's are doing now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R5 WRM View Post
    pulsars arent 4k anymore unfortunately, well you will pay that for either a highly tuned one or an absilute immaculate one perhaps, but they often go for around the 2k mark nowadays. Running gears not great though.. specially the gear boxes. Its not fiction when people say the gear boxes are ****e lol.

Ive got a pulsar which is being highy tuned at the moment and will be one of the fastest road going ones in the uk at 650 horsies, its got a quaiffe gear set in, which has been shot peened and heat treated and the box itself has also been shot peened, but even so i arent expecting it to last long lol!

I think they guy with the micra was Fusion Ed, he owns/runs Fusion Motorsport and hes one of the top guys regarding tuning and dyno work etc, il ty dig some info out of the gtiroc tonight for you

The gear sets are fine in the boxes, it's the end casing itself which is the weak point. However I have seen 3rd gear have all it's teeth stripped bare on a standard gearbox before, but that car was running 2bar. Every box that's let go blows out the end casing from too much torque.

Fusion Ed didn't own or build that Micra as Ed is/was Surrey based, the Micra was up in Scotland. He did however map my car, quite badly I might add, along with a few freinds cars which all suffered terminal engine problems not long after being in his possesion.

You'll struggle to get 650 out of the sr20 in my opinion, i've only seen one car break the 600bhp mark and that's rolling road figures, which aren't exactly reliable.

The quickest terminal speed I'd seen was 132mph, from what I can remember. That was one of DP Motorsports customers, and that only works out at around 530bhp or so.
    Last edited by Adam L; 13-04-2010 at 18:11.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Kxf...eature=related

That would be the Micra, that's all I found with using ''micra turbo''

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably a better one, from when it competed at TOTB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR9dsEjxwjQ

Post Thanks / Like

A well known article is the Cosworth Renault5. It had the shell dropped onto a Sierra floorpan, performance wasn't well known about as the car had wiring issues (so they say) and it went up in flames.
    i never knew that that cossie engined 5 had actually had its shell dropped onto a sierra floorpan. interesting sort of like this morris minor/200sx conversion this im assuming???

Post Thanks / Like

It's a hell of alot easier than fabricating your own chassis, basically the cheaper way of doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

isnt there size difference issues here? co they cut the floor plan up and shorten drive shafts etc...??

Post Thanks / Like

kangoo 4x4 box will fit the C1J engine

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is probably a better one, from when it competed at TOTB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR9dsEjxwjQ
    haha that cars from up ere ..ashame its no longer tho ..was a beast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bass J View Post
    haha that cars from up ere ..ashame its no longer tho ..was a beast
    The engine and transmission was actually put into an Almera, which was up for sale about a year ago. I don't know what happened to it though as the asking price was about £5k. It was a quick car though.

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the engines still in the almera
    davie sold it to his mate for 8grand then bought it back 2 months later for about 5grand

outrun performance (now defunct) in denny fabricated the shell for the bigger engine
    and davie built the engine himself(with help from some american sponser)
    the gearbox was from the last primera with a quaif diff and never gave any issues in the micra but died twice in the almera
    cv joints were his biggest problem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MADFIVE View Post

325 hp per engine?
    on a c1j?
    with carbs?

with or without nitrous?