Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenobi banned ?

I know this is last weeks news , and i know theres been threads loosely based on this already, most the time i just sit back and let things go on, however im actually pretty gutted, seems as i joined the rtoc and my immediate thoughts were.. great site.. for information , however it seemed to have its fair share of brown nosers and certainly lacked the social aspects id felt with other clubs/forums, it felt a lot like if you wasn't already one of the old skool member then nobody wanted to know. Kenobi was the first person to actually get in contact with me, and literally say.. ' your not far away, give me your number and ill text u when there is a few rtoc members are at mine and we will meet up' I did so and through kenobi i got to know people, he also , got me in contact with mark who in turn rewired my car, and even let me stick my r5 on his drive for a few months whilst i got it ready for mot. There is only really a hand full of members on here that have made any real effort to speak to me at any given point, and kenobis certainly one of the more sociable members on here. Im not entirely sure what was said to have him banned, although i read the one thread and it appeared to simply be him speaking his mind and having his say about the allocated members of the committee, whether this is right or wrong im not to sure however i think to ban so suddenly a member who in my personal opinion does a lot for the club, maybe not directly relating with the runnings of the club, but more by bringing together its members with his 'anyone is invited' attitude, is a very poor move.

I await to have my head bitten off, but i thought i would voice my own opinion, maybe other will do the same which will go well against what i said , but i guess we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kenobi banned ?

To add - I'm sure many people will agree, can this thread please not turn into a slagging match and along with this, can it please not be locked.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

U c*nt,

Only joking, I have spoken to kenobi today over the phone.. first time I have spoken to him other than pm's.

I really do think there is a huge case of miss interruptation going on both ways...

The problem is when sitting behind a keyboard its easy to say "i dont like this, that about the club" where as at the AGM if a member says to a committee member "oh whats all this about as i am not sure i agree etc" its alot easier to reply face to face and to get an understanding and a agreement from it...

I really hope that when kenobi is back its the end of the matter & that things are sorted.

RTOC is a great club and wecome's everybody to the club, we have acted were possible in stopping scam's, trying to resolve people issue's, help members out with getting money back ( as much as is possible).

I think its fair to say Kenobi dont like some people on the committee , but i will stress that if a member is banned its normally because the committee agree's on such action & with a justified reason, not just because 1 person on the committee dont like a member.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    U c*nt

You tw@.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post

You tw@.

been called worse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    I know this is last weeks news , and i know theres been threads loosely based on this already, most the time i just sit back and let things go on, however im actually pretty gutted, seems as i joined the rtoc and my immediate thoughts were.. great site.. for information , however it seemed to have its fair share of brown nosers and certainly lacked the social aspects id felt with other clubs/forums, it felt a lot like if you wasn't already one of the old skool member then nobody wanted to know. Kenobi was the first person to actually get in contact with me, and literally say.. ' your not far away, give me your number and ill text u when there is a few rtoc members are at mine and we will meet up' I did so and through kenobi i got to know people, he also , got me in contact with mark who in turn rewired my car, and even let me stick my r5 on his drive for a few months whilst i got it ready for mot. There is only really a hand full of members on here that have made any real effort to speak to me at any given point, and kenobis certainly one of the more sociable members on here. Im not entirely sure what was said to have him banned, although i read the one thread and it appeared to simply be him speaking his mind and having his say about the allocated members of the committee, whether this is right or wrong im not to sure however i think to ban so suddenly a member who in my personal opinion does a lot for the club, maybe not directly relating with the runnings of the club, but more by bringing together its members with his 'anyone is invited' attitude, is a very poor move.

I await to have my head bitten off, but i thought i would voice my own opinion, maybe other will do the same which will go well against what i said , but i guess we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

dj, I hear what you're saying, but you got to understand that if rules are broken - whoever you are - you need to face the consequences.

Post Thanks / Like

Rules are there for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not entirely sure what was said to have him banned
    With the greatest of respect, was there a need to start this thread on the basis of not even knowing the full story?

Perhaps a PM to the Committee instead would've been more appropriate, as threads like this usually end up turning sour with yet another pointless slanging match.

What's done is done. Let's move on...

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that scoff, hell i believe in it strongly and wish they would bring capital punishment, and cutting off of hands for thieves etc back in. Im not entirely sure what was said to cause kenobi to have a ban, however my question would be how strongly does what was said affect said member/members, was it a silly comment, was it a threatening comment, or was it something that in the real world bears very little bother on the average person. Further on from that is it not something that could of been dealt with via a pm , or a word as it were, rather than a ban, as surely a bans only cut kenobi out from all rtoc discussions/activities and as such creates small groups and will make communications harder and tension during events etc higher.
    I understand the banning was undertook as a group decision etc, but my main question is , did it really call for a banning, did any offended members really lose sleep over what was said, or was it petty talk, and is the whole banning more of a power hunger frenzy of forum Hitler's? rather than a committee decision over what would really be beneficial to the club.
    If it was simply down to a breaking of the rules then surely it would of not required a 'committee decision' and instead would of been a simple 5 or so clicks of the mouse to ban the member.

Just to tag on , i think ive said all i really needed to, hopefully ive not targeted myself now, but its maybe somthing to think about, coming from a member who is just that, a member , with no ambition to ever really run any aspect of the club , and to simply attend events and meets, and maybe arrange the occasional one.
    Last edited by djinuk; 12-04-2010 at 15:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minty83 View Post
    Rules are there for a reason.
    to be broken of course

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Kenobi can be one to go off a bit without thinking sometimes, straight from the heart if you like, being a mod on another site I know you have to take some crap sometimes but as far as I was concerned he did nothing I'd have banned him for, we would have chatted like yourselves in the staff room & prob told him to wind it in a little if he was getting out of hand (which I don't think he was, & Clee baits him IMO as well)
    RTOC was a great community but it seems to have died off a little IMHO, yes there are what maybe feel like cliques but thats just like going to a new club/pub, you just have to get in there sometimes & make new friends .. In life there are givers & takers (oo err) some will go out of thier way to help, some need a push but will be very helpful when pushed & some just don't give a toss & will take all you give with nothing in return.
    TBH the way the site is going I prob won't bother to join again next year, & thats nothing to do with any one person or me not having a GT Turbo, it's a number of things that have happened recently, I just don't get the urge to log on anymore like I used to because of all the bitching & drivvle that gets posted...... shame as RTOC was one of my main sites I used to like going to, MLR is nothing on what RTOC used to be.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    IMO Kenobi can be one to go off a bit without thinking sometimes, straight from the heart if you like, being a mod on another site I know you have to take some crap sometimes but as far as I was concerned he did nothing I'd have banned him for, we would have chatted like yourselves in the staff room & prob told him to wind it in a little if he was getting out of hand (which I don't think he was, & Clee baits him IMO as well)
    RTOC was a great community but it seems to have died off a little IMHO, yes there are what maybe feel like cliques but thats just like going to a new club/pub, you just have to get in there sometimes & make new friends .. In life there are givers & takers (oo err) some will go out of thier way to help, some need a push but will be very helpful when pushed & some just don't give a toss & will take all you give with nothing in return.
    TBH the way the site is going I prob won't bother to join again next year, & thats nothing to do with any one person or me not having a GT Turbo, it's a number of things that have happened recently, I just don't get the urge to log on anymore like I used to because of all the bitching & drivvle that gets posted...... shame as RTOC was one of my main sites I used to like going to, MLR is nothing on what RTOC used to be.

Steve

everytime a new member joins up they get drilled over the questions they ask that have been asked before ie the dumpvalve threads, not the most welcoming is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post

everytime a new member joins up they get drilled over the questions they ask that have been asked before ie the dumpvalve threads, not the most welcoming is it?
    Ah come on, thats not so true anymore.... just look at the "hello side of the forum"

& look at this thread started by benj88
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=14786

He is new (less than a month on the site), got a very nice car & was talking about ruining it with Goup N this, double that & yet got a good response from long standing members....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    With the greatest of respect, was there a need to start this thread on the basis of not even knowing the full story?

Perhaps a PM to the Committee instead would've been more appropriate, as threads like this usually end up turning sour with yet another pointless slanging match.

What's done is done. Let's move on...
    I know it's briefly been discussed, but what rules did he actually break, and what warnings did he actually get?

I'm not taking sides with anyone, just trying to uncover the facts and leave opinions at the door.

Kenobi has told me that he did not make personal threats, and was not warned, which is the complete opposite of what I have read on the boards.

Could this be clarified by someone who took part in making the decision?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    I know it's briefly been discussed, but what rules did he actually break, and what warnings did he actually get?

I'm not taking sides with anyone, just trying to uncover the facts and leave opinions at the door.

Kenobi has told me that he did not make personal threats, and was not warned, which is the complete opposite of what I have read on the boards.

Could this be clarified by someone who took part in making the decision?
    Nope

The rule are pretty clear but the committee have the right to ban people from using the forums... It should be made clear that Kenobi is only banned from using the forum & not the club & only for 5 days....(perhaps we could make that more clearer than the "banned" appearing on his profile...

"g) Use of the club notice boards is a privilege not a right and can be partially of fully withdrawn at the discretion of the committee."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Nope

The rule are pretty clear but the committee have the right to ban people from using the forums... It should be made clear that Kenobi is only banned from using the forum & not the club & only for 5 days....(perhaps we could make that more clearer than the "banned" appearing on his profile...

"g) Use of the club notice boards is a privilege not a right and can be partially of fully withdrawn at the discretion of the committee."
    So why do people keep saying he broke the rules then? Sounds to me that he didn't break any rules according to this and just pissed people off in the committee off?

Post Thanks / Like

I cant actually remember the full reason why Kenobi was banned from the boards & cant be ar*ed to look into atm fully, but i do know it was something the committee took seriously..

It was not a 1 person decission!

Post Thanks / Like

...& some just don't give a toss & will take all you give with nothing in return
    True, but that can be taken both ways; ie, like when good informative advice gets given to people/newbies, but they choose to ignore it, think you're spouting cr8p & that they know it all anyway, or can't even be bothered to reply back with a 'thank you'.

Countless times I've been on the receiving end of that, so now I'm of the opinion that if a person can't even be bothered to reply on their thread/PM with a 'thanks' or at least some form of gratitude, then bollox to them, they won't be getting any more of my advice in the future.

Politeness & good manners cost nothing.

The door swings both ways mate...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It saddens me to read posts like this because like all clubs this club is a gathering of like minded people who like the Renault Turbo's. It's not like a job or somthing we all HAVE to do, it's a hobby so to see that some people are going off their hobby is a bit

Yes I know that things have been a bit tense on the boards recently what with a Temporary Ban, & a few fierce threads of late but the site hasn't changed at all! I personally think these things show that we do care about this club which can only be a good thing!!

I'm sure normal service will resume soon and we'll be back to projects & the cup mod!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading these over the last couple of days and all though Im staying neutral I believe the catalyst in the problem could be the word 'banned', it tends to have a very permanent feel to it. Sounds petty but 'suspended' would seem a better choice in the future. Stops reactions from getting carried away when other forum users first read it.

So no sides here, not really my business, just an observation from an outside view.

Now Im off to go play in the warm weather!

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of what he did let's support the committe's decision they are the ones running the club for our benefit not their own.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    Regardless of what he did let's support the committe's decision they are the ones running the club for our benefit not their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I am quite new on here and have met up with a few local lads, so here is my two penny's worth, i think this is a more friendly and helpful site than a lot i have registered on.

When i joined i thought it would have a load of chavs with carisma kits talking about blowing evos of the road, was quite surprised most on here are of a mature age and have a passion for these cars.

Like all sites you are always going to get people asking for help and not saying thanks, people not listening to good advice, but thats just the way people are. I deal with hundreds of people every week so know how people treat one another. What makes this worse is there are so many keyboard warriors on car forums. There will always be people picking others up on grammar and spelling, I'm terrible but try to spell check things. People calling others for talking about racing on the roads.

I have found in life its normally the people that have nothing are the most likely to give. I found kenobi a guy always trying to help others out, i don't know the ins and outs of this so i will leave it at that, and i personally don't tend to bicker on a sites. Everything has its time and a place.

Last thing, the rtoc for me has been great and will renew year after year and hope to meet more members at forthcoming events.

Now lets all have a big hug

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Steve
    RTOC has always been that way, very vocal, sarcastic, cliquey, etc etc. its the same every year or so. - things run in cycles. people come, people move on, newbies come on board. so on and so forth.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

is the whole banning more of a power hunger frenzy of forum Hitler's?
    That the kind of sentiment that can get a person banned

If they keep on and on and on with it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    I am quite new on here and have met up with a few local lads, so here is my two penny's worth, i think this is a more friendly and helpful site than a lot i have registered on.

When i joined i thought it would have a load of chavs with carisma kits talking about blowing evos of the road, was quite surprised most on here are of a mature age and have a passion for these cars.

Like all sites you are always going to get people asking for help and not saying thanks, people not listening to good advice, but thats just the way people are. I deal with hundreds of people every week so know how people treat one another. What makes this worse is there are so many keyboard warriors on car forums. There will always be people picking others up on grammar and spelling, I'm terrible but try to spell check things. People calling others for talking about racing on the roads.

I have found in life its normally the people that have nothing are the most likely to give. I found kenobi a guy always trying to help others out, i don't know the ins and outs of this so i will leave it at that, and i personally don't tend to bicker on a sites. Everything has its time and a place.

Last thing, the rtoc for me has been great and will renew year after year and hope to meet more members at forthcoming events.

Now lets all have a big hug

phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    to be broken of course
    Only if they're stupid rules.

If one rule is not throw stones at the committee then a smart move is to not keep throwing stones at the committee who have the power to do the banning, until one day you hit someone on a soft spot and they finally do something about it.

In this case Kenobis efforts achieved direct hits on several committee within a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    That the kind of sentiment that can get a person banned

If they keep on and on and on with it anyway.
    that was nicely editied, although it worries me that out of my whole statment none of my questions are actually answered and instead you quote a tiny section , which is merely only my suggestion that feelings maybe towards 'forum hitlers' calling the shots.

I've quite a bit of experiance running a forum/club that was very sucessfull, and found many and including myself were guilty of somtimes finding the power over people on a forum occasionaly would get to your head , hence the question as to if this was the case as opposed to directly insinuating it.

Anyway that wasnt a invite to bicker, just stating my point.

Post Thanks / Like

You should know then that moderators don't like to have to keep giving up their time to actually moderate.

When it's the same few people every time, then they start to rationalise cost of their time vs benefits of the offender(s) to the club.

If they are forced to moderate and the offender(s) then rack up the anti with constant direct attacks on the moderators, the committee, the founders even, then someone at some point says stop and git rid of them.

Post Thanks / Like

it felt a lot like if you wasn't already one of the old skool member then nobody wanted to know
    That would be expected of members that have known each other for 10 years. They come here to chat with their pals and are not all particularly interested in new people. Fairly normal human nature.
    Kenobi was the first person to actually get in contact with me, and literally say.. ' your not far away, give me your number and ill text u when there is a few rtoc members are at mine and we will meet up' I did so and through kenobi i got to know people, he also , got me in contact with mark who in turn rewired my car, and even let me stick my r5 on his drive for a few months whilst i got it ready for mot. There is only really a hand full of members on here that have made any real effort to speak to me at any given point, and kenob is certainly one of the more sociable members on here.
    As other members have also vouched for him. But on the boards things have not been so gregarious.
    Im not entirely sure what was said to have him banned, although i read the one thread and it appeared to simply be him speaking his mind and having his say about the allocated members of the committee, whether this is right or wrong im not to sure however i think to ban so suddenly a member who in my personal opinion does a lot for the club, maybe not directly relating with the running of the club, but more by bringing together its members with his 'anyone is invited' attitude, is a very poor move.
    Like I said, cost vs benefit. You should have read more of what I and other committee members posted as I explained his actions and my, and others feelings, that he'd crossed the line. He's not banned from the club, just from the boards. And this 5 day ban IS the warning.

All these character references will no doubt weigh in Kenobi's favour when he returns to the boards in a few days. But if he doesn't self moderate then the eventual outcome seems obvious. I think it doesn't matter who is on the committee, if a member consistently digs away at them then they will simply use the club rules and penalties system to give themselves a less aggravating time.

Post Thanks / Like

LMFAO

well I think I can say that I have been banned the most? even asked to leave and when I didn't....... kicked!

Speaking from my experience.... I got banned when I hit a nerve. Usually pointing out something that didn't want to be heard. But the bit that always got me was the p.m.'s I'd get saying we're with you.... your so right.... and then I was the only one to stand up!!!!

I've been catching up reading a few threads since coming back, and I think the work done by Scoff for getting the site back was nothing short of amazing. Dawn seems on this site 24/7 sorting stuff out, Marts still a moaning git! and there seems to be alot of really passionate people on this site,

but AS USUAL there are the odd few saying, "we don't have to do it....." "we give up our free time..."

AND???? what do you want?? a medal??? you offered, if you feel you dont have the time or are fed up with the same ol' crap everyday, step aside and someone will take your place. I was a member of Reno OC for a few years and the same thing happened there, but guess what.......... its still going.

Lets just all take a chill pill, get back to what people have already said, THE CARS!!!

people come, people go, people change and people grow. At the end of the day its just a club of like minded idiots!

right i'm going back to sit in the corner and await the torrents of abuse!!!

Moggy

p.s. I think Naomi my wife holds the record of the shortest membership....25mins from memory, because i was hated so much she had her money refunded and kicked out! not even a reason why! lets hope the club doesn't go back to those DARK days!

Post Thanks / Like

There was a banning spell a few years back, TK, myself and you were among the victims as far as I can remember

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    There was a banning spell a few years back, TK, myself and you were among the victims as far as I can remember
    Ahh, the good old days

I often wonder how I didn't get banned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    Ahh, the good old days

I often wonder how I didn't get banned

Eugiene actually called Bruce and asked if I could come back, Bruce made me say sorry on the phone

Although that must have been after 6 months or more.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably shouldn't associate myself with you then...pretend you don't know me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    I probably shouldn't associate myself with you then...pretend you don't know me
    So the way to a committee members heart is to get banned...Hmmm......

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

keep your head down adam

Post Thanks / Like

some good points made and it is about the CARS, thats what we are here for... i think if people feel negative about a particular topic dont post on it then it will stop the bickering from even starting.... "it cuts the fuel from feeding the fire".

Post Thanks / Like

Eugiene actually called Bruce and asked if I could come back, Bruce made me say sorry on the phone

Although that must have been after 6 months or more.

oh'oh sorry sir bruce...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
    LMFAO

well I think I can say that I have been banned the most? even asked to leave and when I didn't....... kicked!

Speaking from my experience.... I got banned when I hit a nerve. Usually pointing out something that didn't want to be heard. But the bit that always got me was the p.m.'s I'd get saying we're with you.... your so right.... and then I was the only one to stand up!!!!

I've been catching up reading a few threads since coming back, and I think the work done by Scoff for getting the site back was nothing short of amazing. Dawn seems on this site 24/7 sorting stuff out, Marts still a moaning git! and there seems to be alot of really passionate people on this site,

but AS USUAL there are the odd few saying, "we don't have to do it....." "we give up our free time..."

AND???? what do you want?? a medal??? you offered, if you feel you dont have the time or are fed up with the same ol' crap everyday, step aside and someone will take your place. I was a member of Reno OC for a few years and the same thing happened there, but guess what.......... its still going.

Lets just all take a chill pill, get back to what people have already said, THE CARS!!!

people come, people go, people change and people grow. At the end of the day its just a club of like minded idiots!

right i'm going back to sit in the corner and await the torrents of abuse!!!

Moggy

p.s. I think Naomi my wife holds the record of the shortest membership....25mins from memory, because i was hated so much she had her money refunded and kicked out! not even a reason why! lets hope the club doesn't go back to those DARK days!

I havnt got banned as of yet, this sounds like me tho

I must have been close to being banned when I hit a nerve. Usually pointing out something that didn't want to be heard. But the bit that always got me. was the p.m.'s I'd get saying we're with you.... your so right....

sounds like you all have enjoyed your selfs over the years,
    What you get banned for

Post Thanks / Like

LOL at the last bit of moggy's post!

Post Thanks / Like

No Dave you just post drivvle most of the time....

Post Thanks / Like

I've never read it but been told the exact same statement more than once.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends what floats your boat steve. Any call or need for that. I'm no idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't call you an idiot, just said you don't half post a load of sometimes.. anyway i'm 'orf...

Post Thanks / Like

can imagine narrow minded stuff like this will get you far

Post Thanks / Like

Done me ok up to now me 'ol mucker.
    As you say, whatever floats your boat eh