Post Thanks / Like

Digital Clock

i recently bought a clock from ebay, to replace the awful aftermarket oil pressure gauge that was in its place. The clock was advertised as in working order and it looks brand new!

however, ive still got the wiring and plug in my car and when i tried connecting it to the clock there was no time or digits showing, but the face did light up. Does this mean that ive bought a dud or is there something i can do to make it work lol

Also ive just noticed the colours on the wires in my car differ to the wires that i was given with the clock.. my car is black > red > red > yellow, and the new wires are black > red > yellow > blue

wil that be making it not work?
    thanks in advance

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Digital Clock

Quote Originally Posted by R5 WRM View Post
    i recently bought a clock from ebay, to replace the awful aftermarket oil pressure gauge that was in its place. The clock was advertised as in working order and it looks brand new!

however, ive still got the wiring and plug in my car and when i tried connecting it to the clock there was no time or digits showing, but the face did light up. Does this mean that ive bought a dud or is there something i can do to make it work lol

Also ive just noticed the colours on the wires in my car differ to the wires that i was given with the clock.. my car is black > red > red > yellow, and the new wires are black > red > yellow > blue

wil that be making it not work?
    thanks in advance
    black - gnd
    red - battery +
    yellow - ign. +
    blue - illumination

So I think it should work. The illumination of the screen should be on if you turn the key to ignition.

The face lighted up because of that red - yellow mismatch.
    Try to clean the connections or use a multimeter to check if you really have battery + at both red connection.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd use this thread rather than start a new one. I have exactly the same issue - back light works on my clock but no time/digits.

I've checked the red (permanent live) and I haven't got power there. I have a switched live which explains why the back light only works.

Looking at the manual the red wires goes to 'junction block - front harness accessories plate' where/what is this plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Looking at the manual the red wires goes to 'junction block - front harness accessories plate' where/what is this plate?
    Does anyone have an idea about where this junction block is? I thought it migh be one of the connections at the bottom of the doors?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have an idea about where this junction block is? I thought it migh be one of the connections at the bottom of the doors?
    Might go to one of the 2 big white connectors in the passengers foot well to the left of the fuse box? They are mounted on the side of the car near the door hinges under the dash if you know where I mean. Theres an earth there too screwed into the side of the car body.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The Haynes is a bit ambiguous as to what/where this junction block is! I'm going to try and have a look tomorrow morning. Wiring/electrics are not by strong point!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem, light on clock off (not showing any numbers)

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, just had a look as my dash is in bits atm so i can see all the wires nicely.

There are 4 wires go to my clock. red/silver, yellow/silver, red and black. The yellow/silver goes to the junction blocks on the passenger footwell, the red/silver goes to the fuse box.

Im not sure where the red and black wires go but im guessing black is earth so that probably goes anywhere to the chassis and looking at the fuse box theres a million red wires there so im guessing the red goes there. Being red and black they are pretty hard to follow through without using a test meter as theres loads of red and black wires.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for looking I have 4 also; black (earth) blue (back light) red (permanent live) and yellow (switched live) a bit different to yours?

I think I'll have a look at the fuse box tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for looking I have 4 also; black (earth) blue (back light) red (permanent live) and yellow (switched live) a bit different to yours?
    Mines a very early 1987 phase 2, so I suspect its kinda a phase 1.5 so it might be that the phase 1`s had the same colour wires as mine and they changed them over at some point to the colours you have. ?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've had a little fiddle this morning and have come to the concusion that there must be a break/fault in the wiring between the clock + terminal and 'junction block - front harness accessories plate' which I'm assuming is on the passenger side, near the footwell.

Rather than spend the rest of my life trying to fine the break/fault I think I'm going to tap into live feed from behind the dash or maybe the fuse box and run that to the clock terminal.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I've had a little fiddle this morning and have come to the concusion that there must be a break/fault in the wiring between the clock + terminal and 'junction block - front harness accessories plate' which I'm assuming is on the passenger side, near the footwell.

Rather than spend the rest of my life trying to fine the break/fault I think I'm going to tap into live feed from behind the dash or maybe the fuse box and run that to the clock terminal.
    Thats what I think i would do. Id test the clock first though with a live feed to make sure it all works properly!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have 2 clocks now as I assumed the first one was broke and bought a replacement! I'll definitely test them though to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine gave me his clock as it only lit up in his car but didn't display anything.

I plugged it in to my 5 and it works perfectly!