Re: R5 GTTurbo 2

One of my favourite projects of all time

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Superb work.

Over fueling by any chance?
    Just abit but thats done to the map being done for running in only and the rev limit set to 4k

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Superb work.

Over fueling by any chance?

nope afr are in the high 12's -13's , its got soft cut set at 4000rpm then hard cut at 5000rpm supercharger starts to really pull at 4000 rpm which is a shame as i couldnt change quick enough hence the bang need to sort out a pedal stop as hyrdo clutch works well but pushing down to far forces to much on pressure plate turbo disabled for the moment until its run in for a 1000 miles then the remap and big fun begins, if the gearbox will take it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    One of my favourite projects of all time
    cheers scoff ,that means a lot coming from the mad scientist himself
    if the gearbox lets go i will be beating a path to your door

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

brakes also a little bit under powered at front ,does'nt really inspire much confidence at higher speed braking , no servo being the main reason although it did feel quite balanced between front and back , never mind im sure the wilwood four pots coming next week will sort them out

anybody got ideas for tracking , was thinking 3 degree's toe in on rear wheels and maybe 1-or 2 on the front , open to all ideas

what are peoples views on the negative camber on the rear .....to much???

Post Thanks / Like

good to see its finally alive!!!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

with my old RWD andy I ended up with 0 deg camber at the front and whatever factory standard GTT front camber is at the rear. I also stiffened the standard anti-roll bar at the rear somewhat. I played about with tracking too. A few degrees toe-in at the rear made it feel a lot more stable. Hopefully your tie rods at the rear will be pretty parrallel with the floor too. I used to suffer with bump steer with the standard rack angles until I sorted that out.

In the end the car was pretty well balanced, to me anyway. You could throw it into corners and you'd get a hint of understeer before the back started to get loose. It was quite controllable in the dry. Totally different matter in the wet. You will need to be SO carefull it's untrue. I could spin 180° at 30mph on a roundabout in the rain on new yoko A539's I think they were. Take every corner super carfull once its damp. I even lost it in a straight line once. damp road, lit the rear wheels up at 60mph and ended up heading down the carriageway at 45° for a moment. thankfully by that point I was getting used to RWD so it didn't phase me much. I think if I had of done that early on I'd have stacked it

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing project!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what you do with the rack you could create some rear wheel steering. would take some clever geometry thinking, if your rack was above level with the track rod ends and ahead of the rear wheels this should toe out as the wheel moves up when weight is transfered to the outside wheel also going lighter on the inside wheel would have the opposite effect and toe in. but as said on bumps would prob create bumpsteer. something to look in to tho, theres a good read on competition geometry, good for learning basics, competition car suspension a practical handbook fourth edition allan staniforth.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    something to look in to tho, theres a good read on competition geometry, good for learning basics, competition car suspension a practical handbook fourth edition allan staniforth.
    After losing a copy of my favourite book chassis engineering I recently bought that book and found it a bit wordy.. maybe I should have read it again but I found chassis engineering gets more to the point so I've just bought a second copy.. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chassis-Engi.../dp/1557880557 If you fancy the alan stanforths book let me know and I'll let you have it cheaper than you can find anywhere else

As for the bump steer I eliminated mine by fixing the rear hubs.. quite a bit of work and my plan is to re-do them basically a copy of the rear end of a mojo a kit car which pretty much resembles what we are trying to do.. whilst I'm at it I will try to move the engine & box 100mm to equal the weight out as with me sat in it it's quite one sided although you are in a better position as you have a wider rear track to start with.. mines still std r5 gttt. Here's a link to a site that the owner of the mojo talks about his issues with setup (and he designs suspension) http://www.everettmail.co.uk/mods/mods_sus_align.htm.
    Another thing I've found with mine is I need to lower it to keep the center of gravity down and in turn this means I'm running out of travel on the shocks so I may have to go stiffer with the springs (fortunatly they're 2 1/4 coilovers but it still costs when you buy a set at £30 only to find out they're too soft.. maybe I should read that book again )
    If I make any progress I'll let you know.. I'm planing on doing a full seasons hillclimbing next year so hopefully by the end of the year I should have something that handles that said it's still a huge amount of fun.. and I will second what scoff says in the wet take it easy

Here's a couple of pics of a mojo and you'll see how much of the back end could be incorporated into the five..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thankyou for the input Tony ,Andrew will take a trip to northhampton motorsport once ive done a 1000 miles run in and got the rest of the little issues sorted out , before turning up the power , thanks scoff ,andy for the warning when driving in damp/wet conditions, sometning i got to get used to in a rwd car the size of a matchbox

Post Thanks / Like

looks amazing matey i want one

Post Thanks / Like

We've got a v6 coming in, in a week or so, ill try get a few measurements together, see how renault have overcome bumpsteer (Cheers for recommending chassis engineering, just purchased a copy stanforths was a lil wordy. Difficult to find anyone willing to give anything away, i liked his cheap methods of measuring certain conditions)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah the string computer

I'll be interested to see.. also how central the engine is and how they balance the weight when you have to bolt a gearbox on one side.. I can't help thinking left hand drive would have been the easy option for distributing weight evenly..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    yeah the string computer

I'll be interested to see.. also how central the engine is and how they balance the weight when you have to bolt a gearbox on one side.. I can't help thinking left hand drive would have been the easy option for distributing weight evenly..
    I thought that with the twingo, esp with that big heavy engine, but guess what, without me in in it's perfectly balanced left to right, I get in a feck it all up

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    I thought that with the twingo, esp with that big heavy engine, but guess what, without me in in it's perfectly balanced left to right, I get in a feck it all up
    lol.. maybe I should consider a mclaren f1 setup at least I'll be able to squeeze a 3rd passenger in

Post Thanks / Like

[url]http://www.margnor-online.co.uk/bolts/8-8bolts-1/metric/m8
    Last edited by TNT ANDY; 01-11-2010 at 18:43.

Post Thanks / Like

I think for less bump steer the longer the rack end/track rod end the better, the larger the arc the less in/out movement there will be on bump/droop With a short track rod end it would have much more movement (toe in/out) Does this make sense to anyone or am i making this up? lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What an absolutely awesome car. I want it.

RTOC has some seriously bad ass projects these days.

Post Thanks / Like

whilst I'm at it I will try to move the engine & box 100mm to equal the weight out as with me sat in it it's quite one sided although you are in a better position as you have a wider rear track to start with.. mines still std r5 gttt.
    you might be surprised how little difference moving the engine makes, work it out on a bit of paper... It's a lot of work to achieve very little.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dont think its going to make a lot of difference anyway in mine, once im in it that is ,must be the burgerking effect

been tinkering again , after more google searching last night , it seems like my bypass /pressure relief valve working of a actuator to bypass the supercharger at a set psi is not such a good idea to many issues /fluctuations it seems according to our cousins in the usa , they either mount a wastegate /poppet valve in its place , or most blow through altogether and dont bother with the bypass at all

so im going to feed it constant through the eaton and fit a external waste gate down stream after the charge cooler and recirculate infront of the eaton intake, my only concern is that the intake temp could rocket even with the charge cooler in place, maybe refit my water injection system into the eaton intake to aid cooling , i dont have the room for a second charge cooler

thoughts anybody

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

on a more positive note , my engine bay looks a lot more open which should allow for better air circulation /cooling

have also purchased a remote oil filter system ,which i will fit in the rear near side wing (where the header tank used to live) as trying to get access in its current position between the supercharger is a complete pain

Post Thanks / Like

I know that you never really finish a project, but it's so frustrating to see you being so close to getting it on the road, only to be tripped up at the last 10 hurdles. I admire your commitment and patience.

I'll be back to Renault tomorrow to pick up your paperwork.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

to be fair its not a lot of work . the system in place stays 85%the same just removing the bypass valve and two fabricated alloy bends, like u said to me few months back, its all trial and error

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    you might be surprised how little difference moving the engine makes, work it out on a bit of paper... It's a lot of work to achieve very little.
    You could be right be I'm still trying to find someone with some corner weighing scales to get me started

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    I think for less bump steer the longer the rack end/track rod end the better, the larger the arc the less in/out movement there will be on bump/droop With a short track rod end it would have much more movement (toe in/out) Does this make sense to anyone or am i making this up? lol
    It makes sense to me

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    I admire your commitment and patience.
    I'll second that just think though by the time the good weather comes you'll have it nailed!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll second that just think though by the time the good weather comes you'll have it nailed!!
    cheers Andy , hows yours coming along?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

been buying more bits for the beast again , new clio valver wishbones and drive shafts with abs rings have turned up ,along with polybush set for valver anti roll bar,

my renault scenic/clio abs hubs go into the machine shop tomorrow to have approx 3mm of metal removed from the mounting lug that attaches to the strut, ready for the launch/ traction control config on the ecu,and allow the rear tyres to pull in a bit, as im not happy with the amount of negative camber on the rear wheelsand the bigger bearings should cope better with the stresses of running wide 16" rims

boost system is now 99.9 % complete again ,just got to get 25mm alloy pipe welded to supercharger inlet pipe,this will form the recirc system in between gear change and low rpm /idle airfiler box repositioned and 102mm duct work now feed into the nearside vent to hopfully give more ramming effect of cold air at higher speeds, oil sandwich plate now on and just waiting for remote filter head to turn up along with the extra pipe work all going well should be up and running again by the weekend , and new suspension geometry should be in place for the weekend after,all going well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    been buying more bits for the beast again , new clio valver wishbones and drive shafts with abs rings have turned up ,along with polybush set for valver anti roll bar,

my renault scenic/clio abs hubs go into the machine shop tomorrow to have approx 3mm of metal removed from the mounting lug that attaches to the strut, ready for the launch/ traction control config on the ecu,and allow the rear tyres to pull in a bit, as im not happy with the amount of negative camber on the rear wheelsand the bigger bearings should cope better with the stresses of running wide 16" rims

boost system is now 99.9 % complete again ,just got to get 25mm alloy pipe welded to supercharger inlet pipe,this will form the recirc system in between gear change and low rpm /idle airfiler box repositioned and 102mm duct work now feed into the nearside vent to hopfully give more ramming effect of cold air at higher speeds, oil sandwich plate now on and just waiting for remote filter head to turn up along with the extra pipe work all going well should be up and running again by the weekend , and new suspension geometry should be in place for the weekend after,all going well
    top stuff mate sounds like you are pretty much there now keep it going and a fantastic build thread hats off to you

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    top stuff mate sounds like you are pretty much there now keep it going and a fantastic build thread hats off to you
    cheers phil, just a pity its taken so long , but i guess its the norm when building/developing a car project, would have liked to attended more meets etc
    never mind ,bring on 2011

Post Thanks / Like

cheers phil, just a pity its taken so long , but i guess its the norm when building/developing a car project, would have liked to attended more meets etc
    never mind ,bring on 2011

and some ruined tyres, knackered clutch and a gearbox in many pieces lol

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

what an absolute epic project, just out of interest could a c1j be supercharged and turbo charged well ? just thinking of guys who have t28s etc who dont get boost till 4k +

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    what an absolute epic project, just out of interest could a c1j be supercharged and turbo charged well ? just thinking of guys who have t28s etc who dont get boost till 4k +
    Perfectly possible just space in the engine bay is tight, if it rear engined yeah no problem

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

cool so what sort of power are you hoping for with this ? i bet it will be mega responsive

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cool so what sort of power are you hoping for with this ? i bet it will be mega responsive
    350 -400 if im lucky all depends on how long the gearbox lasts !!!
    but like you said after response more than anything and would settle for 300 bhp if it lasts for a while

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

defo mate i bet it will be crazy when the turbo kicks in as well, will be good compare this to some big powered cars especially in gear tests as id imagine yours will do pretty bloody good

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

defo mate i bet it will be crazy when the turbo kicks in as well, will be good compare this to some big powered cars especially in gear tests as id imagine yours will do pretty bloody good
    hope so,but time will tell

Post Thanks / Like

Update please.

Oh and BTW - you need to rename the thread on this post to R5 GTTurbo2.5

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Update please.

Oh and BTW - you need to rename the thread on this post to R5 GTTurbo2.5
    STILL waiting for remote oil head,and pipe
    should be picking up hubs tomorrow and alloy pipe with recirc pipe welded on

sent off confirmation of engine size /cc etc paper work to dvla monday, so all going well should get the all clear for christmas, would just like to say a big THANKYOU to TNT ANDY for sorting that out ,i am really grateful Andy you came to my aid there,big time , and goes to show that there are decent people out there who are willing to help ,where others just want to shaft people,(difference between renault dealerships is just worlds apart)

a side note for anyone who has intentions of swaping an engine , you will need proof of engine size ,cc capcity, engine code, and number from
    1- manufacturer
    2- engineer (independent or vosa)
    both options are not cheap ,unless you know people in the trade
    unless you can prove the engine swap was completed before you purchased the car

oh, and i purchased a 140mm fan to fix onto the oil cooler(switch operated on dash ) more for track and long hard runs in the hot summer months next year,(if we get any)

Post Thanks / Like

That's better - was getting withdrawals.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

WOW!! speechless to be honest.. absolutley amazing. hats off to you pal. fair play.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

where others just want to shaft people,(difference between renault dealerships is just worlds apart)
    Just paid £16 for four caliper bolts from my Renault dealer basically a M14 50mm bolt not sure there was much they could do on the price I think it was just a ridiculous price to start with.. ah well needs must

Post Thanks / Like

Just paid £16 for four caliper bolts from my Renault dealer basically a M14 50mm bolt not sure there was much they could do on the price I think it was just a ridiculous price to start with.. ah well needs must
    Just also paid £14 for 8x bolts for wings.

Post Thanks / Like

ever thought of trying places other than renault?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    ever thought of trying places other than renault?
    I did, bit the tread on those is such an odd ball, I figured I could easily waste half a Saturday mooching around only to find it's Renault only. I've done this before.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did, bit the tread on those is such an odd ball, I figured I could easily waste half a Saturday mooching around only to find it's Renault only. I've done this before.
    Yep.. I have just about every type of off the shelf bolt in my garage.. I just had to bite the bullet

Hey.. Handy have you been out in the snow in the beast? I was going to take mine to work the other day but I was worried the pipes running under the car would freeze ....lol

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.. I have just about every type of off the shelf bolt in my garage.. I just had to bite the bullet

Hey.. Handy have you been out in the snow in the beast? I was going to take mine to work the other day but I was worried the pipes running under the car would freeze ....lol
    erm ..no dont fancy destroying my project before ive even run the engine in and turned up the boost

the pipes under the car could be a problem
    to be honest ive never used any of my 5 gtt in winter

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just found the ultimate decal/graphics for my project...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VERY-RARE-RENA...#ht_500wt_1156

what do you think

Post Thanks / Like