Re: R5 GTTurbo 2

its alive

Post Thanks / Like

any video clips bud?

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

unfortunatly not and due to a leaky fuel cell, it maybe a while i do have a sound bite of the first start up but it sounds like a proper bag of spanners

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

fuel cell back in and new pressure gauge+ sender fitted
    speedo now working also as well as all electrics working
    carbon door cards are on the way, just got to get doors back and fitted and bumpers sprayed and fitted ,mot, tax ,insurance ,new rear tyres all for 13th its going to be very close.. oh and with live mapping on route to national day cough cough jp

Post Thanks / Like

Lol i'll be there with some live mapping on route

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just dont bring that five men tent along , wont be a lot of room in the back

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and i don't think that massive drum bbq of mine will fit in the glove box either

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

um ...what glove box!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

new rear tyres just ordered ....225/40/16 toyo t1r,s @£62 each

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like car wont be going to national day now
    yet another set back , sump is now leaking , so the sump will be coming off again another pain in the arse job!!! seems strange how this only happened since fitting the recirc valve on supercharger boost pipe ,maybe causing to much crankcase pressure will swap back over tomorrow and see what happens, and fit thrixo paste this time instead of a melleor sump gasket the eaton did make a nice whine though when running ...felt good started to pull @2.5 andwas going nicely by 3k, bearing in mind the ignition and fueling need tweeking to really get the beast to sing did sound a lot quieter with the recirc dump valve and engine covers in place ,rather than hissing every time u touched and let of the throttle,maybe that recirc can't handle the amount of air being released back into the turbine housing think the locals will grow to hate me judging by the look on most peoples faces as we mapped the car in the estate today hahhaa with da boosst init!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks again os8427 unit next weekend maybe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    thanks again os8427 unit next weekend maybe
    No problem bud, i'll go over the map and use the loadsites that we got spot on as a reference and try to exstrapolate ruffly what the rest should be.

Throttle response was defo better with the atmosferic dv compared to the recirc, when thats on i'm sure it'll make all the mapping done saturday defunced if the dv makes a difference but hey its somit never tried on a valver engine before, there's gunna be set backs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    No problem bud, i'll go over the map and use the loadsites that we got spot on as a reference and try to exstrapolate ruffly what the rest should be.

Throttle response was defo better with the atmosferic dv compared to the recirc, when thats on i'm sure it'll make all the mapping done saturday defunced if the dv makes a difference but hey its somit never tried on a valver engine before, there's gunna be set backs
    Here Here Oli - Spoke to Andy today, he was a bit down, but after talking to him for a bit his chin came back up and he's back on track now. You've gotta expect a few blips along the way which he has accepted now. There will be some pretty radical stuff wrong in the ECU and sealing the sump is no biggy, I think you're right to take out the tricky stuff and concentrate on getting the basics right first ie recircing dump valves etc. I think he's done amazing considering how quicky this has come together.

Keep going Andy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Here Here Oli - Spoke to Andy today, he was a bit down, but after talking to him for a bit his chin came back up and he's back on track now. You've gotta expect a few blips along the way which he has accepted now. There will be some pretty radical stuff wrong in the ECU and sealing the sump is no biggy, I think you're right to take out the tricky stuff and concentrate on getting the basics right first ie recircing dump valves etc. I think he's done amazing considering how quicky this has come together.

Keep going Andy

Thing is mate there shouldn't have been anything wrong with the ecu, Andy paid for a brand new unit, but Nigel stuck his nose in AGAIN and gave Andy what looked like to me a second hand unit as it had a map for a pug 306 with an S16 engine on throttle bodies and half the settings had been changed, for example the map sensor had been switched off, that would be the case on the pug engine as that uses a MAF not a MAP.

That prick nigel has alot to answer for and I personally can't wait to go over to his house and make him see the error's of his ways

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

few more bits added tonight , fitted my new boost gauge see what supercharger is doing and when,also can now keep an eye on +/- pressure , also got ecu checked over and new base map uploaded @emerald this morning and dropped of bumpers to spray shop (at long last) also purchased some 3mm cheq plate and formed and fitted passenger foot rest ,to protect coolant pipes and peoples feet if something lets go!! rear tyres also turned up so will get them fitted tomorrowalso purchased another oil filter and oil , ready for sump changestill think its crankcase pressure but cannot put my finger on it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing is mate there shouldn't have been anything wrong with the ecu, Andy paid for a brand new unit, but Nigel stuck his nose in AGAIN and gave Andy what looked like to me a second hand unit as it had a map for a pug 306 with an S16 engine on throttle bodies and half the settings had been changed, for example the map sensor had been switched off, that would be the case on the pug engine as that uses a MAF not a MAP.

That prick nigel has alot to answer for and I personally can't wait to go over to his house and make him see the error's of his ways
    know your pissed oswald ,but dont put comments like this on forum boards, you dont know who could be reading it thats classed as slander!!

remember what i said the other week about a certain somebody

Post Thanks / Like

few more bits added tonight , fitted my new boost gauge see what supercharger is doing and when,also can now keep an eye on +/- pressure , also got ecu checked over and new base map uploaded @emerald this morning and dropped of bumpers to spray shop (at long last) also purchased some 3mm cheq plate and formed and fitted passenger foot rest ,to protect coolant pipes and peoples feet if something lets go!! rear tyres also turned up so will get them fitted tomorrowalso purchased another oil filter and oil , ready for sump changestill think its crankcase pressure but cannot put my finger on it
    Don't worry, you'll get there, just gunna take some time

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

anyway ,what u up to saturday
    fancy another go at it third time lucky

Post Thanks / Like

MOT first then I'll be round yours for another go at mapping.

What you doing wednesday night? I need a hand bleeding my rear brakes once I've fitted the new lines

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cant we make it tueday, 2 for 1 at you know where!!

Post Thanks / Like

cant we make it tueday, 2 for 1 at you know where!!
    We'd have to get the old lines off and make the new lines up before bleeding but I think thats doable in time for the pizza man to turn up

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

until tomorrow then

Post Thanks / Like

until tomorrow then
    Ok bud, I finish at half 5 tomorrow, will see ya then

Post Thanks / Like

know your pissed oswald ,but dont put comments like this on forum boards, you dont know who could be reading it thats classed as slander!!

remember what i said the other week about a certain somebody
    Only if it's not true

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

finished the sump of tonight ,after 3 1/2hrs thursday night getting the sump of ,hopefully all should be good for tomorrow, fitting doors in the morning and setting up ecu , followed by a trip to the breakers in the afternoon , just glad the sump is now done was a complete arse ache

Post Thanks / Like

finished the sump of tonight ,after 3 1/2hrs thursday night getting the sump of ,hopefully all should be good for tomorrow, fitting doors in the morning and setting up ecu , followed by a trip to the breakers in the afternoon , just glad the sump is now done was a complete arse ache

Awesome, we can crack on with some part throttle mapping straight away then

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

fitted the doors /locks and rubber trim/mirrors yesterday, fitting glass tonight and re-alinging bonnet and fitting bonnet pins
    wensday is bumpers and gear linkage
    thursday is brake lines re-bleeding and testing
    friday possible mot

Post Thanks / Like

wheres the photos handy! cant wait to see this thing in the metal

Post Thanks / Like

Finally some progress with the part throttle mapping, amazing the difference turning the fuel pressure down to 3.5bar from 5bar makes

Post Thanks / Like

Finally some progress with the part throttle mapping, amazing the difference turning the fuel pressure down to 3.5bar from 5bar makes
    really? I upped mine from 3bar to 5bar, changed one number in the ECU and it ran exactly as before.

Post Thanks / Like

More Mapping tonight Andy???

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yep,door cards and bonnet pins fitted to crap fit carbon bonnet car booked in for mot this friday morning still awaiting bumpers and brakes to mend and running issues fingers crossed!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it Andy

Will have to come across again to see how she's looking

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT Tricky Nicky View Post
    You can do it Andy

Will have to come across again to see how she's looking

apart from its FAIL at mot station friday

but still, its all part of the fun

Post Thanks / Like

what did it fail on?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any news?

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe it failed on brakes and emissions...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    I believe it failed on brakes and emissions...
    It failed on rear brakes as there was kink in the line to the rear and emissions as for some reason when I mapped the load site it sat in at idle the second you did anything to the throttle it would run either mega rich or lean, made no sense, Dave had it at Emerald and diagnosed a duff TPS, a new 1 fitted and the car now has a decent base map to run in on.

The oil leak turned out to be the supercharger and not the sump and I believe Andy has got the rear line sorted so its just awaiting a retest

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

been busy at it again ,since finding the oil leak(supercharger pulley wheel/snout housing)i have stripped the above and resealed as it seemed to be lacking any which was only showing itself under postive pressure, coating the belts and off side drive shaft in the process
    also purchased a new alternator (breakers yard find)
    and having waited 2 1/2 weeks for new supercharger oil to arrive its now back together, i have also changed the crank pulley size , due to the fact that when being set up on the rolling road the eaton m65 only seemed to produce 4.5 psi (4500rpm)which i thought was lacking somewhat ,so i have changed from a 95mm to a 130mm diameter (1.3 ratio to 1.8 ratio which should help although i cant be sure ,so only a rough psi output as there seems to be very little information on flow rates for an eaton m65, so it could make around 7 psi (735cc ) or a possible 14 psi (1016cc) these are the only figures i could find being bounced around different forums using a google search.( if anybody knows for sure plese let me know ) so wont know 100% untill its up and running again
    with the 130mm crank pulley and bigger trigger wheel, i had to change the metal water pump pulley to a smaller plastic item (both items came of a tdi scenic )and fabricated a new pick up sensor bracket which bolts to the sump ,
    still got to fit new braided -4 brake pipe which i suspect has a kink in the teflon section and double check brake bias valve and test rear brakes again then ready for re test

computers are not my thing so will have to wait until os84721 comes around again for more piccys

Post Thanks / Like

been busy at it again ,since finding the oil leak(supercharger pulley wheel/snout housing)i have stripped the above and resealed as it seemed to be lacking any which was only showing itself under postive pressure, coating the belts and off side drive shaft in the process
    also purchased a new alternator (breakers yard find)
    and having waited 2 1/2 weeks for new supercharger oil to arrive its now back together, i have also changed the crank pulley size , due to the fact that when being set up on the rolling road the eaton m65 only seemed to produce 4.5 psi (4500rpm)which i thought was lacking somewhat ,so i have changed from a 95mm to a 130mm diameter (1.3 ratio to 1.8 ratio which should help although i cant be sure ,so only a rough psi output as there seems to be very little information on flow rates for an eaton m65, so it could make around 7 psi (735cc ) or a possible 14 psi (1016cc) these are the only figures i could find being bounced around different forums using a google search.( if anybody knows for sure plese let me know ) so wont know 100% untill its up and running again
    with the 130mm crank pulley and bigger trigger wheel, i had to change the metal water pump pulley to a smaller plastic item (both items came of a tdi scenic )and fabricated a new pick up sensor bracket which bolts to the sump ,
    still got to fit new braided -4 brake pipe which i suspect has a kink in the teflon section and double check brake bias valve and test rear brakes again then ready for re test

computers are not my thing so will have to wait until os84721 comes around again for more piccys

Top jobby And, you can almost taste it now.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cool seems like things are moving on now

how much work is involved fitting the supercharger? I thought about this for mine just keping the 11:1 compression and running 7psi.. I was hoping to do it with an M45 as they seems to be a lot of them knocking around from the minis

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    cool seems like things are moving on now

how much work is involved fitting the supercharger? I thought about this for mine just keping the 11:1 compression and running 7psi.. I was hoping to do it with an M45 as they seems to be a lot of them knocking around from the minis
    very tight fit to get mine in (more luck than judgement) had to fit a 10mm packer on the drivers side engine mount by 12mm ( which gave me 10mm clearance between bulk head/ cross beam and supercharger) and fabricate a one off near side mount ,also the cross beam was also cut out re fabricated and extened 45mm towards front of car , then used redundant m10/1.5 bolt holes on the front of block to fix my supercharger mount to, and gtx alternator bracket which tensions the alternator /belt, that said eaton m45 is more adaptable than the m65 with its one piece inlet/exhaust casting (pain to work with) and your inlet manifold is much tighter to the block ,so could work quite well on yours , maybe swap positions with the alternator and have the eaton on top, level with the head,would give you better access to it , and keep the heat away , have a look on u tube for some ideas also ,just a thought

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

been told to also change supercharger oil every 3500 miles if running more than 6 psi as they tend to contaminate/sliver the oil very quickly if used hard (2 cogs in the pulley housing) , will be doing mine with a syringe and 8mm pipe (suck it out) save time hassle

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

been busy for a while sorting out yet more teething problems in between the crap weather here over the last month or so, where to begin... after fitting the new smaller plastic water pump pulley and bigger crank pulley all seemed fine for all of 8 mins ...and then crack wollap...bang !!! goodbye plastic pulley and aux belt did'nt like the tension i had placed upon it to eliminate belt squeal from the supercharger anyway after a quick head decided to cough up for a one off billet pulley wheel to match the plastic (crap renault item)that had blown up, why did'nt they produce it in metal like the slightly bigger o.e version of the f7p/r in the first place!!, anyway after a 2 week wait and a lot of swearing trying to fit the pulley wheel on , its now on and in the mad rush to get it running again between the heavy rain showers i managed to fit the crank pulley 180 degree's out anyway monday night it was up and running again and sounded just awsome well worth the effort with the engine warmed up a few blips of the throttle where applied followed by a more aggresive stab of the the throttle, which resulted in a light showering of coolant from the header tank in the rear passenger side of engine bay it seems with the bigger crank and smaller water pump pulley in place the coolants now decided to flow a lot more at higher rpm and filling the header tank beyond its capacity at an alarming pace!!!! after more head scratching and swearing at the car,iv purchased a silicone reducer to fit on the rear outlet of the thermostat housing 18mm -13mm fitting which will then feed into the turbo and then out of the turbo back into the 8/10mm on top of the thermostat housing ,and do away with the rear header tank totaly, problem solved (i hope) sat morning will be intresting and the first time its been driven since being set up with a runnning in map on the rollers , cant wait should be interesting

if anybodys got some ideas for a coolant/flow solution let me know

Post Thanks / Like

To solve the coolant issue mate as I said we need to get a look at another F7P thats been turbo'd to see which pipes flow which way.

Hopefully some kind person will let us know

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what time are heading over tomorrow ? dont make it to early the reducer still has'nt turned up after 12:00 ish

Post Thanks / Like

what time are heading over tomorrow ? dont make it to early the reducer still has'nt turned up after 12:00 ish
    Ok 1ish then

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Superb work.

Over fueling by any chance?