Post Thanks / Like

R888s road legal?

Been hearing different storys about these tyres? Some people are sayin in 2011/12 there guna be bannd from road use? Any one no anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: R888s road legal?

they are road legal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schakal View Post
    they are road legal

for now

Post Thanks / Like

So iv herd spooky..

Some 185 60 13 r888s would look ideal on the speedlines

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Yeh they are road legal ive got some on my pulsar but i believe they are trying to phase them out as they are supposed to be making them ilegal late 2010 sometime, many suppliers have stopped stocking them and its quite hard to get hold of them nowadays too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benj88 View Post
    Been hearing different storys about these tyres? Some people are sayin in 2011/12 there guna be bannd from road use? Any one no anything?
    What i had heard previously was they were not going to be able to give them "E" marking or rating (something like that). This is required for european law for road tyres and they were taking this away from many of the list 1B track tyres eg 888, yoko 048 the dunlops etc. Toyo have though launched a new tyre looking like its somewhere between an 888 and a T1R.

With those doing hillclimbing the argument round here got muddled with whether the MSA was going to ban 1B tyres for road going classes. For now 1B are allowed but not sure what happens if the tyres are no longer road legal.

Post Thanks / Like

i think you can get diffrent 888. normals are legal but supper stickys arent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James George View Post
    What i had heard previously was they were not going to be able to give them "E" marking or rating (something like that). This is required for european law for road tyres and they were taking this away from many of the list 1B track tyres eg 888, yoko 048 the dunlops etc. Toyo have though launched a new tyre looking like its somewhere between an 888 and a T1R.

With those doing hillclimbing the argument round here got muddled with whether the MSA was going to ban 1B tyres for road going classes. For now 1B are allowed but not sure what happens if the tyres are no longer road legal.

is this new tyre between 888 an t1r to fit 13 inch rims james??

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

looks like there new tyre is the R1R

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail....&product_id=67

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post

not in 13 though...

Post Thanks / Like

Typical i just fancied buying a set for my tungy gtt, looks like it will be uniroyals or pirellis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post

They have a tread wear rating of 140 which means they're pretty soft and very grippy! They did a comparison in an Aussie race mag between the various 'high performance' road tyres and road legal 'R Spec' trackday tyres, of which included the Toyo T1R, R1R and R888. If you looked at the result of these 3 in isolation, the R888 would be 100%, the R1R would be 98% and the T1R would be at 78%.

Not sure on how UK Prices compare but in Oz the R888 is A$315, R1R A$160 and T1R A$130. So for track day fun it 'might' be cheaper overall to go with the R1R?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    They have a tread wear rating of 140 which means they're pretty soft and very grippy! They did a comparison in an Aussie race mag between the various 'high performance' road tyres and road legal 'R Spec' trackday tyres, of which included the Toyo T1R, R1R and R888. If you looked at the result of these 3 in isolation, the R888 would be 100%, the R1R would be 98% and the T1R would be at 78%.

Not sure on how UK Prices compare but in Oz the R888 is A$315, R1R A$160 and T1R A$130. So for track day fun it 'might' be cheaper overall to go with the R1R?
    sounds like your 888's are lots more than here, or they want too much for the R1R here. I'd seen the R1R's on tweeks and they were more than i'd ever paid for 888's although their prices were similar for the 2 tyres.
    However no doubt when camskill etc have the new R1R's they will be much cheaper. T1R is alot cheaper than R1R or 888.