Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renaults re-visit Brands...

The 'orrible lot' were fantastic today again, the track commentators were loving the R5's!!! Bearing in mind the Renaults were running full dashboards and glass,as per regs, the guest tin tip boys were left in their wake, and fairly so, excellent clean driving from the boys yet again. Well proud, even my 5 year old daughter was on her feet cheering and clapping! only downside was a chucked fanbelt in race 2, up until then, 'full boost ahead'!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CLARKY View Post

Pretty nifty handwork there to keep it in straight line!

Sounds like there was a fair bit of damage?

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of laps on Brands GP, great track

Not a good day and this didnt help going from 5th to 2nd snapping the waterpump belt after such a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPGfWAs4Eb8

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a good day and this didnt help going from 5th to 2nd snapping the waterpump belt after such a good start.

nice going dave, looking good out there buddy..hes infront , im in front, hes infront, im infront....he got lucky..., nice to see the ole girl going strong again, driver aint too bad either..., i like brands and cant wait to do cadwell myself soon for the first time...

Post Thanks / Like

The 'orrible lot are at Silverstone this weekend.......Clarky in the 'yellow peril' and Oli in the 'Pink panther'.......
    Good luck fellas!!
    Matt@codered.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

What a start!

I am so tempted!
    how far have you strayed from 'cup' regs? Would a standard cup car be competitive (against the rest of the field, and in class)?
    Cant afford a load of 'investment', but would love to race with some other 5's!

I have some old lap times I can compare against... Although they where on slicks.
    Last edited by Sam Fish; 18-10-2010 at 13:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Fish View Post
    how far have you strayed from 'cup' regs? Would a standard cup car be competitive (against the rest of the field, and in class)?
    Cant afford a load of 'investment', but would love to race with some other 5's!

I have some old lap times I can compare against... Although they where on slicks.
    Hi Sam,

We have strayed quite a bit from the `cup` regs.........running a lsd, T25@16psi,d/c intercooler,285 cam and currently running Ledas on front.

I doubt a standard cup car would be competitive in class/field, but I`m sure there will be someone to play with as a good mix of cars. Oli ran his car pretty standard last year and had some fun.

Would be interested to compare some lap times if you got some.

Me and Oli are both racing at Brands in November if you fancy coming along, might get you in the mood to get out there

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your car looks mega fast, especially starting next to the 'slower' stuff at the back.

Yeah, would love to come down for a bit! Thanks
    Im desperate to do some racing, but money is non existent. I have a mk1 golf or a LHD cup car, but not sure which to go for. Both need a bit of work. Either could run in that championship I imagine, so would be good to have a look! My heart is with the R5 though. But the golf is a bit more developed.

I know you run on the Toyos, but do you ever need slicks? I had a contact at a Formula renault team, and the fronts would fit perfectly..... He said he had loads of part used ones I could shift for not much $$$$.

when will you be there?

PS: Steve Meli got a 55.00 round brands in '98 (fastest time i have). Thats on slicks though. That was during the uber competitive super coupe cup meetings - so that was pushing it to the limit.

Post Thanks / Like

Were there on the 7th November......let me know nearer the time if you can make it

There were a few golfs running in the TTRS this year, take a look at the 2011 regs when they get published to see what would be best, but as you know whatever you go for is going to cost £££££, thats motorsport

Thanks, with give you a shout on the slicks as always good for trackdays.

55`s round Brands Indy is very impressive, those boys could certainly peddle those cup cars

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, Ill try my best to be there. Ill let you know.

I better get earning!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty incredible going in to 2nd from 5th only snapped the alty belt, I doubt many otyher engines would of been so forgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

More action from the boys with the toys!!!

The 'orrible lot visit Brands Hatch again tomorrow, bring on the good stuff!!!

Come on Oli Davies (pink R5GTT), Dave Clark (yellow R5GTT), Gary Chappell (Toyota Celica) and Terry Searles (MG ZR)!

Post Thanks / Like

Oli had a massive off today, quick visit to medical centre, seems ok. R5 is not too good, nearly jumped the barrier at paddock.......

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt5 View Post
    Oli had a massive off today, quick visit to medical centre, seems ok. R5 is not too good, nearly jumped the barrier at paddock.......
    Very sorry to hear that, glad he is ok. What happened did he get a shunt going in?

Post Thanks / Like

He is OK, but will ache in the morning........4 barrel type rolls nearly leaping the barrier landing badly upside down against tyres......he got out after an agonising wait......The car isn't too good, but a quick check revealed many salvagable parts......
    Very lucky, and definately thanks to the roll cage!!!
    Dave had a cracking day...in fact he was so happy to be there, he lined up on a grid for a race he wasn't entered in!!!
    Gary and Terry ran well too.
    Well done boys!!!
    Matt5
    Attached Images Attached Images

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear Oli is ok, car looks a mess tho :-(

Post Thanks / Like

I think he will pop a vid up later........
    The old girl was flying!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

one video as advertised.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf86TSlaV3U

Nothing that a reshell and some pink paint can't cure

Gutted as was finally going really well

Big applause for the day goes to Clarky as he finished 3rd despite the fact that I managed to undo the nice run he had at the field with waved yellows all over!

Post Thanks / Like

..blimmey oli... glad your in one piece bud {not sure mentally..}, damn the car looks bad, let it be said boys n girls if partaking in races or track days...a roll cage is a must..., oli , if i can help patch the the ole girl up...body kit wise etc , just let me know bud, dont take me long to get to yours loaded up..., other than that well done chaps for getting the ole girl out there!!!

Nice pull at the end of the vid too buddy...
    Last edited by jesus in the seat of a 5; 07-11-2010 at 19:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely gutted for Oli, he finally got the car going how he wanted and was really on the pace today. The main thing is, he is ok, maybe a bit sore tomorrow mind.

We had a cracking day, the `code red` 5GTT was awesome, great fun going through the traffic with the handicapping, 3rd and a 5th well happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave had a cracking day...in fact he was so happy to be there, he lined up on a grid for a race he wasn't entered in!!!

Post Thanks / Like

that looked like a big off. glad your ok

been watching all the vids u guys have been posted and this race series looks great.
    both oli and clarky seem to be driving really well

Post Thanks / Like

I'm biased.....but who cares!!! I think these two are great chaps, really showing the more modern stuff what for
    Watching them today was fantastic....My nearly 4 year old son was going mad over the 5's.....when I rang my other half and told my daughter that 'her pink car' was damaged she was very sad....
    Next year? Bigger, better, faster........stonger.

Post Thanks / Like

Few more.....

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

JESUS FECKING WEPT! glad your ok, the big man upstairs was on your side

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell Oli, glad your ok, sorry to see the car like that

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys....

Well on the way to a reshell already thanks to my bro, matt5 and clarky.

All caused by a combination of a bit of overenthusiastic driving and too much rear brakes

I would just say to all of you trackday guys and girls, if you don't already have a rollcage, decent seat and harness installed properly, I would get one!!!!!

The 5 isn't the strongest car in the world as shown by my slightly dented 5 pickup. Without a doubt the safety gear saved my life, and although in the past i've driven other cars on the track without a cage etc, I very much doubt I will be in the future, it doesn't take much for something to go wrong...

Post Thanks / Like

oli what cage are you using and is it bolt or weld in?

glad to see you walk away from that

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post

any pics from inside showing the cage doing its work..

Post Thanks / Like

did have the original 5 cup devil cage in, albeit with a lot of additional bracing and tieing in to the a and b pillars. Will be going for a safety devices cage next, again with custom bracing and probably will tie into a, b pillars and possibly front turrets and transmission tunnel...

Ta,

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post

Post Thanks / Like

no there won't be, cage did it's job, drivers compartment was completely intact with no intrusion or distortion from any of the mounting points. tbh at the moment i'm feeling very lucky just to have walked away from it, I certainly won't be going near the car for a few weeks!

No offense, but other than Matt@code red and Mark Fish who would probably want to see how the cage worked from a technical view for improving installation and safety in the future, I don't really see why anybody would want to look at that kinda thing, kinda feels like rubbernecking at the scene of an accident to me

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post

any pics from inside showing the cage doing its work..

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olidaviesuk View Post
    no there won't be, cage did it's job, drivers compartment was completely intact with no intrusion or distortion from any of the mounting points. tbh at the moment i'm feeling very lucky just to have walked away from it, I certainly won't be going near the car for a few weeks!

No offense, but other than Matt@code red and Mark Fish who would probably want to see how the cage worked from a technical view for improving installation and safety in the future, I don't really see why anybody would want to look at that kinda thing, kinda feels like rubbernecking at the scene of an accident to me

i wanted to know or see if the cage was failing at any point, but your right, its was stupid to wonder about my safety..

i'll do one

Post Thanks / Like

The cage didn't fail, and Oli is ok, the fact Oli is ok was all we were interested in.
    If you install a cage (and all the other associated equipment required by race safety experts) and do it properly, it might do the same, that's probably all you need to know isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough, little bit of tact tho mate, only did it on Sunday! if you had a standard safety devices, omp bolt in etc, they don't usually tie into the A pillars or B pillars as standard, you'd also wanna tie the rollhoop mounting points into the sill as well as the floorpan as the floor on the 5 is weak is anything.. That's why it stood up so well, more a weld in with all the mods rather than bolt in

You would need to examine the shell in detail to learn anything useful to see how the impact had been dissipated, pictures wouldn't really give a lot away.

i wanted to know or see if the cage was failing at any point, but your right, its was stupid to wonder about my safety..

i'll do one

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olidaviesuk View Post
    Fair enough, little bit of tact tho mate, only did it on Sunday! if you had a standard safety devices, omp bolt in etc, they don't usually tie into the A pillars or B pillars as standard, you'd also wanna tie the rollhoop mounting points into the sill as well as the floorpan as the floor on the 5 is weak is anything.. That's why it stood up so well, more a weld in with all the mods rather than bolt in

You would need to examine the shell in detail to learn anything useful to see how the impact had been dissipated, pictures wouldn't really give a lot away.
    no worries.. i have the omp cage which has only been offered up at the mo, but will be off for a propper fitting before it hits the road again. it needs a bar added for the harnesses and looks like some extras might be added. thats some good info, but like you say its difficult to cover without a good look to see it all, i struggle to find a way of wording my questions and looking how well it did, i have some..

Post Thanks / Like

Which cage? OMP made different ones, 6 point bolt, 10 point bolt, multipoint weld...... Then the old ones had 38 mm main, later ones 52 mm main.
    If you have extras welded in get it tig welded, I did mine, tied it into the screen surround upper section and B pillars plus door bars.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That really is a shocking accident - glad you're o.k.

Re the OMP cages; I have a 6 point bolt in cage and if anyone can tell me how to actually bolt in the rear part properly I'd like to hear from them. The rear legs mount in the boot area, right above the chassis rails and the legs just behind the driver mount where the rear seats would be, which is right where the axle bolts through?

Post Thanks / Like

E-mail me a photo on the code red address if you like.... Matt

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php...pictureid=6953

You can just about make out the mounting points in this picture. There's not even enough room to put a plate under the legs either are the hoop's touching the roof as it is. It's a bit of a weird one!

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, where/who did you get that from....

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Which cage? OMP made different ones, 6 point bolt, 10 point bolt, multipoint weld...... Then the old ones had 38 mm main, later ones 52 mm main.
    If you have extras welded in get it tig welded, I did mine, tied it into the screen surround upper section and B pillars plus door bars.
    mines a six like Alex's here with what must be the 52mm main hoop, with the front section allowing for the dash to stay in one piece, but im sure the legs on mine go to the floor and there deffo on the rear wheel drums.. main hoop has bolt fixings for the top seat belt holes, and another near the visors. (did the cup cars get bolted to the roof?) jesus said his old devil cage had a good few extra mountings so i've always had my eye out.

its good to know how the cage held up after the roll and impact/s, i'll skip straight past a simple bolt in and have it welded..

Post Thanks / Like

Incar video....................finished 3rd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25gfPVqYzk4

Post Thanks / Like

mines a six like Alex's here with what must be the 52mm main hoop, with the front section allowing for the dash to stay in one piece, but im sure the legs on mine go to the floor and there deffo on the rear wheel drums.. main hoop has bolt fixings for the top seat belt holes, and another near the visors. (did the cup cars get bolted to the roof?) jesus said his old devil cage had a good few extra mountings so i've always had my eye out.

its good to know how the cage held up after the roll and impact/s, i'll skip straight past a simple bolt in and have it welded..
    That makes it a later 10 point. (2 in the roof, 2 in the b pillars, 4 on the floor and 2 in the rear wheel arches). Does it have the large plates included? If not it's useless bolting/welding just the cage feet to the car, it needs to spread the loads. Matts car (Jesus) was used for other things than just cup racing......

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

That makes it a later 10 point. (2 in the roof, 2 in the b pillars, 4 on the floor and 2 in the rear wheel arches). Does it have the large plates included? If not it's useless bolting/welding just the cage feet to the car, it needs to spread the loads. Matts car (Jesus) was used for other things than just cup racing......
    10 point sounds better didn't get the plates so they will need sorting out needs must tho

Post Thanks / Like

Without them, it's not much use for racing, but fine for hanging around in Mcdonalds car parks, if its the one I'm thinking of, you still have to clip off the dash corners, unless some numpty has shortened it.

Back on topic...... Nice vid Dave, but stop scracthing your nose!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The only extra points the standard Devil cage has are where it picks up on the o.e seatbelt mount, kinda at ear height ( cant explain it properly )

You can see it just above the top of the seat in this pic

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php...pictureid=6106

+ another pic of the devil cage in my car if anyones interested

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php...pictureid=6107

Post Thanks / Like

Dave , thats just inspired me to maybe race the black cup car next year with you boys....good vid., maybe i can get some info from you sometime regards how and what must be done etc?...
    On another note apart from the devil cage being extremely rare etc and having some other bolt in places, i still think the safety devices cage looks much stronger.., must say though judging by what poor old oli went through.., the devil seems strong enough {unless it was down to the extra work done on it?}.

Post Thanks / Like

Great drive dave, really quick and smooth from start to finish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    Dave , thats just inspired me to maybe race the black cup car next year with you boys....good vid., maybe i can get some info from you sometime regards how and what must be done etc?...
    On another note apart from the devil cage being extremely rare etc and having some other bolt in places, i still think the safety devices cage looks much stronger.., must say though judging by what poor old oli went through.., the devil seems strong enough {unless it was down to the extra work done on it?}.
    Matty, if you want to go racing, join your local motor racing club and borrow a blue book.
    You have probably done enough trackdays to be comfortable to drive fast on track, so.....book yourself an ARDS course.
    Once you have passed the ARDS, check out the championships the car fits and be prepared to spend some money on the safety stuff, proper overalls and helmet etc.......
    Then.....go and play!!