Post Thanks / Like

Website slow/crashes

Not sure if this problem is my end, but I've noticed the website has been intermittently slow over the past week or so, more noticeable when 'posting' a message or sending a PM.

It times out, then displays the following shpiel...

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\rtoc.org\httpdocs\Boards\include s\class_core.php on line 3219

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Website slow/crashes

In fact, it's just done it posting the above message

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\vhosts\rtoc.org\httpdocs\Boards\include s\class_core.php on line 408

Post Thanks / Like

I've also had this over the past few days, usually a page refresh sorts it out but obviously there is something amiss.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been talking with Scoff about this problem. He's been consistently trying to make progress with Webfusion support, but it's not going well. There are other problems apart from speed and error messages; the ftp access and email keep stopping.

It appears that part of the cause maybe that the software our site uses done not handle well the limited resources that our VPS has and with more RAM the problem 'might' go away.

I've been looking into a server upgrade for some time as we're tight on HD space and will in due course run out of space. Webfusion are now offering something new with much more RAM and much more HD space for about the same as we currently pay so I like to get on with it.

The problem is that we have to move over the MS SQL that the old site needs and we don't know to install or configure that.

Scoff can handle the MySQL and vB and even the ASP of the old site but I hired a company to do the MS SQL data base before. Although they took months and proved to be not very good really.

So, we need someone who can do this for us.

Please give us your suggestions.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting this as well but the posts actually are being displayed, so at least I'm not having to go back and write them again!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Website slow/crashes/MS SQL expert needed to help migrate data base to new server

makes you wonder how facebook manage thier data Ian ? 400 million members

i want to help but dont know weather i am able?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Website slow/crashes/MS SQL expert needed to help migrate data base to new server

Quote Originally Posted by dave j gtt View Post
    makes you wonder how facebook manage thier data Ian ? 400 million members

i want to help but dont know weather i am able?
    (Sorry Bill, but......................) LOL! Are you comparing Scoff's amazing website with a companies the size of Facebooks?!

I'm sure you can help in anyway you feel, just let a committee member know how

Post Thanks / Like

i was meannig whos paying for facebooks upkeep. a 1000 member owners club is a hand full, and take some clever tip top work from the guy we all know as scoff. it was a pun!

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave j gtt View Post
    i was meannig whos paying for facebooks upkeep. a 1000 member owners club is a hand full, and take some clever tip top work from the guy we all know as scoff. it was a pun!
    Facebook is a huge company and potential worth stupid amounts of money (bebo was sold for £800m year), facebook gets sh*t load from advertising and selling all your data such as emails, it reads what you post and pass's that info on to marketing companies... Ie: we write about a Renault turbos on facebook, they will use a program to search what you type and pass that onto companies selling cars, car related products etc etc...

RTOC is a very small club, with a small budget compared to some of the big car forums, our income comes via membership fee's, our membership fees are spent on web mainence, hosting, club stock, club events and advertising etc.

Here’s what facebook etc is worth...
    Facebook $11.5 billion
    Zynga: $2.6 billion
    Twitter $1.4 billion
    LinkedIn: $1.3 billion
    Linden Labs (Second Life): $383 million

Twitter was launched pubicly in 2006 and cost $100million to set up etc, so they have a growing business, and money to spend on excellent hosting, with excellent support etc.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It would probably help us quite a lot if we just had a decent programmer to help Scoff and get the data from the old MS SQL / ASP site integrated into this one.

Webfusion now have some better servers. But they don't come with a MS SQL license so that a problem. The old site has some stuff that might be useful but it appears that it needs MS SQL to work.

If there was a way to legally emulate that to it could work with My SQL then we could swap over to a probably better server.