Post Thanks / Like

Clio 1.5DCi problems... anybody...?

Maybe this isn't the right board to post this issue... but I think it's pretty "interesting". Lots of problems...

First of all, my Clio 1.5DCi (2002 model) has had starting problems from the moment I bought it (second hand). It would almost never start the first time... but it would ALWAYS start after the second attempt. Then, a few months ago, when I accelerated hard, 3 warning lights would light up... glow plug heater light, engine management light and STOP. Not good. Finally... one day, it wouldn't start at all anymore.

Went to the Renault dealer: the timing was off and the high pressure diesel pump wasn't delivering enough pressure to the injectors. So they fixed the timing and replaced the diesel pump. I picked it up last week, but when I started it (worked the first time ), I immediately heard a strange ticking sound and the engine sounded more "raw" then before the repair job. When I started driving, I also noticed that I didn't have as much power as I had before. The damn thing now sounds like a cross breed between a tractor and a sewing machine! How can this be?? Especially the ticking sound sounds terrible... the frequency increases along with the rpms. Valve train/camshaft problem?? WHYYYYY?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio 1.5DCi problems... anybody...?

maybe its the tdc???,or suspect the fuel filter was that not replaced with the pump?
    also these cars have an egr valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve),it allows some exhaust back into the intake manifold,they can stick,if the car is idling rough an acceleration is not smooth suspect that.

Post Thanks / Like

could be that they did not put the buckets back in the same places as they came from, causing diffrent valve clearances.that causes horrible noises!!

do you know how out the timing was before?how long the timing has been out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike r5 gtt View Post
    could be that they did not put the buckets back in the same places as they came from, causing diffrent valve clearances.that causes horrible noises!!

do you know how out the timing was before?how long the timing has been out?
    They haven't removed the camshaft for as far as I know... so the same goes for the buckets. I think the timing has been off for *gulp* 50,000 miles... 4 notches... :-S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    maybe its the tdc???,or suspect the fuel filter was that not replaced with the pump?
    also these cars have an egr valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve),it allows some exhaust back into the intake manifold,they can stick,if the car is idling rough an acceleration is not smooth suspect that.

It does idle okay... and it also accelerates smoothly... only with less power than before the repair job... it's the terrible ticking sound that makes you think it can fall apart any second...
    Fuel filter was also replaced...

Post Thanks / Like

i have a kangoo van 1.5dci same engine and same simptoms i took it to a local diesal specalist and found number 3 injector was nackerd, after swapping the injector @£230 i gave it a full service inc oil + filter,air filter. thinking it would be perfect ,,, wrong the service light comes straight on when starting the dam thing but goes off when the temp warms up what could cause this?? also when booting it in 2nd and change to 3rd when not up to full temp it sort of cuts out for a fraction of a second then carrys on as normal well blagged!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

injectors are common on these. usually its an injector causing the lack of fuel pressure to initially start.

Post Thanks / Like

yep, injectors leak off too much fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    injectors are common on these. usually its an injector causing the lack of fuel pressure to initially start.
    Okay... listen... my Clio starts perfectly now, ever since the fuel pump has been replaced and the timing corrected... it's the horrible ticking sound coming from the engine that's the problem here... the injectors should be fine
    Last edited by jantheeven; 07-03-2010 at 14:38.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it a rattle from the cambelt area? if the cambelt tensioner is too tight it can rattle on its stops. difficult to give any advice without hearing it. depends on the ticking noise. maybe an injector isnt seated right causing exhaust gas to leak through it. if the copper washer hasnt sealed correctly beneath it this is quite common.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest you should let the dealership know this problem has been there since the moment you picked it up. they should sort it. but prob will tell you its something else expensive. Just tell them you want to know if its ok to still drive. But make sure they know its a fault they have created.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a call from Renault today... they suspect either an injector fail... or a crankshaft bearing fail. Hopefully it's not the latter... Although, if it's roughly the same as for a 5 GTT, then it's not that big a job. Am I correct?

Post Thanks / Like

They should able to tell the difference between an injector failing and a crankshaft bearing problem, sounds like rubbish to me. if you have bearing issues after there work and you didnt before thats not good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    They should able to tell the difference between an injector failing and a crankshaft bearing problem, sounds like rubbish to me. if you have bearing issues after there work and you didnt before thats not good.
    That's true... but what could have caused this?? Can't it be a coincidence? And what if the crankshaft bearings are really failing? Does that mean the end of the engine or is it fixable? I know it's not too hard and expensive a job for the R5...

Post Thanks / Like

Bearings are replaceable depending on crankshaft journal condition. crankshaft only really gets damaged from lack of oil, crappy oil, or maybe if one of your injectors was pouring fuel in to a cylinder it might of contaminated the oil in the sump but it'd have to of been really over fueling for quite awhile. but that would explain your trouble starting but it shouldnt of needed a fuel pump. they probably replaced that anyway. main dealers like to replace everything.

Post Thanks / Like

its pretty rare for a main dealer to change bearings unless they have to!normaly due to the amount of labour+parts they would just quote you for an engine but as long as the crank, block is ok there not the worst job to to

Post Thanks / Like

Allright, thanks. That's a little re-assuring They replaced the fuel pump because they measured the pressure it was putting out, which turned out to be way too low... so low, that it couldn't even make the starting pressure anymore in the end. Like I said, I've replaced the crankshaft bearings on my R5 myself a while ago. That was just a matter of draining the oil, removing the sump and replacing the bearing shells and bearing caps. Anyone know if it's the same for the 1.5DCi engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh crap... I think I'm confusing the crankshaft bearings with the conrod bearings... damn...

Post Thanks / Like

would make sense if its an injector prob.if theyve had little no pressure for however long then since the new pump has been fitted its had another prob.
    to do bearing shells you need gearbox out.ideally block out (makes life much easier)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my misus has ibiza 1.9 tdi sometimes when it goes on motorway and get up to 80mph and ease off when you power on again theres no power at all any idea what that is ? its 90bhp model

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike r5 gtt View Post
    would make sense if its an injector prob.if theyve had little no pressure for however long then since the new pump has been fitted its had another prob.
    to do bearing shells you need gearbox out.ideally block out (makes life much easier)
    And you said it wouldn't be the worst job to do.....