Post Thanks / Like

1.8t vw in a 5

right ive managed to get a vw1.8 turbo engine, gear box and all the outher bits and bobs from under a bonnet of a passat and i want to put in my 5. has any one got a a ruff to do-list on this as i no it has been done before. any pics and info would be a great help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1.8t vw in a 5

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

thats a nice conversion and you can get alot of power from these engines.

Post Thanks / Like

iv got a load of pictures on disk of the build so il dig some more out 2moro

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I made a folder with some basic picures of the build that I took for duncan as I went along. Here:

http://g7wfs.sytes.net/vag_conversion/

Passat is inline, not transverse I think, so not sure your gearbox and mounts will be much use ?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I also still have the jig that I made to replicate the subframe. I don't get involved with conversions and things anymore but I'd be happy to loan the jig out for a few quid. I'd want to be sure of getting it back too ofcourse

In short, you need to:

- cut up a golf front cross member, with engine mount bracket, cut the cross member out of the GTT subframe and stitch one into the other. (jig provides engine mount land points).

- cut the N/S engine mount cup out of a golf rear subframe assy, weld this into the O/S rear of the R5 subframe (again, jig helps line this up).

- fabricate a N/S rear gearbox mount from scratch. I used a renault rubber on a custom bracket.

- make a pair of shafts. I used audi S2 inners I think it was, with clio williams outers.

- fit the remote cable-shifter into the tunnel of the R5.

- its quite a squeeze getting a radiator in, the engine fills the bay up. Cross member had to be moved forward to accomodate the radiator. an intercooler is not an option.

- Steering rack needs to move back about 10mm to clear the VW gearbox.

- part of the bulkhead needs moving back to accomodate the turbo compressor outlet and pipework if you use the larger K04 turbo.

- exhaust downpipe is also tricky, there is very little room to get the pipe out. 2.25" maximum without splitting into 2 pipes, or flattening the pipe, etc.