Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

problem in the making

could anyone shed some light,

today wen i started the car it took a while as it was cold normally you would get the wining noise of it trying to start.

i had this but sounded different, more af a swiling of water of something mixed in with the usual noise.

any suggestions or am i just going mad.

Thanks Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Re: problem in the making

was it ok when it had warmed up?

Post Thanks / Like

you could actually be low on coolant....air in heater rad!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

once started its all A ok warms nicely and drives fine its just wen i started it up from cold.

as wen it was warm i turned her off then started her again and you got the noise slightly but obviously it kicked over straight away because it was warm.

iv plenty of coolent to and the radiator has recently been changed and has been ok for about a month.

Im just probably thinkin the worst that wen i come to start her tomorrow evening it mite not wana play the game.

could it be something serious,, i duno.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

is it only when cranking? possible battery on its way out?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ye just when cranking it from cold made a different sound to what im used to hearing so i thought id post up to see if anyone had any ideas.

Seemed to be from behind the steering wheel by the drivers side arch.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

maybe the pump or alternator is on its way out, hard to say from your description but there are not many moving parts down there so check the aux belt over, try removing it and turning the water pump and alternator by hand and see if you can hear the noise.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

im not one for really messing with cars tho, well i wasnt untill i had a 5 anyway.

so i dont really know wat im fidiling with.

if it was the water pump and i did go wat are the tell tail signs, wat would happen for me to know it was this that had gone.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

not much on a pump to fail, pretty much just a bearing. they can be had for under 15 quid new so if in doubt change it. haynes will walk you through it, simple job to do.

but check or get a local member to see whats going wrong first.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well we will see wat happens tomorow when i turn her over if it happens again or has got worse.

wats the chances of it just going away.lol i wished.

so if there are no tell tail signs if it has gone can i run without one wat are the consequences.

Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

worst case if it fails it will stop pumping water but its pure guess work as i cant see the car. dont panic as it may be nothing wrong, so have a check and see whats what, it could just be a silly squeek thats harmless. but investigate it and go from there.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

dont spose you have got a decent pic of the water pump do you car.crash i cant find one so i can then check mine to see if there is any play in it and by rotating it myself i may hear the noise.

Only i read an article this morning before work an the net and it all seemed to point to the water pump with the whining noise i have to wat the article was describing.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Changing a faulty waterpump is an easy job in itself, the hardest part is trying not to snap the heads off the bolts when undoing them. Unless they're new there's a chance the pump has been on the block for years along with the bolts. Also the bolts are different lengths so take note which 1 goes where.

I also purchased a new gasket from Renault that goes between the pump and the head, make sure the old gasket is scraped off the head. The old 1 probably won't come off in 1 piece.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help Ricardo would you agree it probably is the the water pump, im yet to have a look at it thats why i was asking to see if anyone had any pics so i could check mine.

I do have a Haynes manual to follow but what are the processes when changing the water pump and how long would it take roughly as if its too much bother for a novice like myself i mite just get the garage to do it

Also wont a new seal come with the kit which iv priced up at GSF at about £40

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/101_1950.jpg

picture of the water pump on the head.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers Robbie iv just got back from work and have been an started the beast.lol. sounds awful while turning her over.

visually there is no leak and no play in it tho i havent taken it apart as i think its a job just out of my comfort zone had it been warmer i mite have had ago as you dont learn if you dont try.

i would definatley say its the water pump so im gona get the garage to quote me on getting a replacement from GSF fitting.

Thanks for all your help.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

dont get a garage to do it unless you have to, a pump on ebay is 15 quid.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-RENAULT-5-...item3359979b2f

if you do use gsf mention rtoc for your discount. if you were closer i would do it for you. there must be a member up your way who can do it for a drink. whist your at it throw a new aux belt on too as its only a few quid.
    it might even be that the existing belt is slipping and needs tightening up, you should only be able to twist it half a turn at most, check that.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

offers anyone, i live by the West Bromwich Albion ground would be great if i could be there while it was being done so i could learn.

Just been and had a look at the belt and its fine turns a half turn and no signs of wear and tear.

The water pump on ebay is a really good price, abit expensive from gsf even with the discount.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

your more than welcome to come to me in slough, i wont charge you but it will have to be sunday day time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbie506 View Post
    http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/101_1950.jpg

picture of the water pump on the head.

That's not C1J, is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    That's not C1J, is it?
    haha i never even looked untill you pointed it out, no thats not a c1j.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great offer but your abit far from me arent you, so is that not the right water pump i need then, as i was just about to purchase it.

Post Thanks / Like

the ebay pump is the right one, we was refering to the picture that was posted.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thought as much.

i didnt need the pic in the end anyway as when i got back i could check the haynes but wanted a quick fix while i was at work.

Thanks anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    haha i never even looked untill you pointed it out, no thats not a c1j.
    Was gonna say, i know i haven't got me mitts greasy in a C1J engine bay for a while

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just purchased myself one 3-4 working days then i should have it, then just gotta get it fitted.

the parts you suggested and the one i have just bought is the part with the bearings in the business end as they come in two parts but you only need the one.

is that right.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thats right dude, you just reuse the other side.

Post Thanks / Like

correct, the other half is just a plate, when you remove it make sure you clean off the old gasket as ricardo said, put wd40 on the bolts daily as i may save one snapping when you come to do the job. its quite easy, tackle it yourself if you have some basic tools.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

think im just gona bite the bullet and give it a shot, wats the worst that could happen.lol.

if the weather is crap the weekend and i dont do it, will i be in trouble is it something to do as a matter of urgency.

Also the haynes says to drain the system, im guessing to just undo the hoses and catch wat i can the same when i take the water pump off, surely the whole syestem wont need draining just wats level and above the water pump.
    Then bang it all back in and check for air locks the same as when i changed the rad.(with a little help)

Bit of a pain in the arse but i wana make sure i get all the info to do the job right.

Thanks.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

dont worry about draining it, just let the water run to the floor, whatever you loose you loose, you can top up fluids later. slacken the belt on the alternator with 13mm spanners, and remove the belt. undo the bolts and remove the pump 10mm i think and clean off old gasket, then seperate the pump in 2 halves, clean the gasket off the end your keeping and bin the other half. then refit is a reversal, remember to bleed the system and top up with coolant. haynes will describe better than me.
    your pump still works, so your ok at the moment, thats if it is the pump?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

great stuff, you've been a great help i was just thinking that myself that it might not even be the water pump but the noise does point to it being that but for the cost i mite as well change it and i know its all good then.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Do the job yourself and its not even 20 quid, and if it doesnt fix it so what, its only a score and at least you know its done and shouldnt fail in the near future. Get a garage to do it and i bet its over £100. huge differance for somthing a diy'er can do.

Post Thanks / Like

I was given this advice and its a bit of a saviour. When it comes to removing the bolts for water pump tighten them up a bit to help free them up and then undo them. It helps the bolts not snap off in the head which would obviously be a tough job to fix.
    Was the first job i ever done on mine and i am not good with cars, take your time it will all be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a long time but i seem to remember the bolts are different lengths too so keep a note of what goes where. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong as like i say, been a long time.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

in this link which car crash posted there are the two gaskets the big one and the small one.

I ordered an identical part but buy the time i ordered it this one had gone, its exactly the same but i only have the big gasket, is this a problem as im going to be changing it the weekend.

thanks mat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Hall View Post

in this link which car crash posted there are the two gaskets the big one and the small one.

I ordered an identical part but buy the time i ordered it this one had gone, its exactly the same but i only have the big gasket, is this a problem as im going to be changing it the weekend.

thanks mat
    mathew that link is not showing the item anymore, but the little gasket that you are on about goes between the back of the water pump and the head. You need it as your water pump will weep. The big gasket goes between your new water pump, and the old part of the water pump that your keeping.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i had a feeling that was going to be the case, the item posted by car-crash had both of these but when i come to order it, it had sold out so i had to get another which has only come with the big one.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Put an ad in the wanted section, this gasket comes in the headgasket set, so someone will have one lying around.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well iv just been and got my self some gasket paper and gasket sealent on my dina break, so i can cut the pritty shapes out myself now.
    would you use the gasket paper as well as the gasket sealent because the sealent says you can do away with the paper on the instructions

Thanks mate