Post Thanks / Like

exhaust noise?

just a quick one,

suffolk police have just purchased sound testing equipment for testing exhausts, and anything over 85db is deemed too loud...

they were out this eve, doing voluntary tests, so i put the raider in for one to see how loud it was, bearing in mind its standard, with just a scorpion exhaust.

according to their equipment, my car is 91db!!!

they also flatly refused to test any standard car there, only the 'modified' ones.

mine was 79db on idle, and even the copper testing said it wasn't loud, and he was suprised that it came out high, he did 3x readings and they all came out the same.

does anyone have the exact law on this, as googling it opens up a huge can of worms and nowhere has the definitive answer.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: exhaust noise?

according to my copy of the motor vehicle (approval) regulations 2001:

...at 3/4 maximum power RPM the noise measured at 0.5m from the exhaust outlet at 45° to the axis of the outlet pipe in a horizontal plane shall not exceed 101dB(A).

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

my copy of the SVA testers manual confirms the above too.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

how were they measuring it, by the way ?

the manuals say 0.5m, horizontal and at 45° to the pipe. IE, behind your car, to one side or the other of the tailpipe, 0.5m away from the tail pipe and at the same height as it while holding the engine at 3/4 of the max HP rpm's.

Post Thanks / Like

Its times like this that im glad i live in a sh*thole of an area:the police are far too busy to worry about db limits on exhausts like the woman left for dead with her hand cut off only 2 roads away from me in recent times!
    I thought anything below 90db was safe

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i read about it the other night, it was 45deg, 500mm from centre of my exhaust and at the same height as the exhaust if that makes sense.

i'm shocked it was so high, we've been basically told anything over 82db means its modifed, and over 85db and we'll get a £30 fine.... thing is a had a bad rattle at 4k which i dont get when driving, almost like the exhaust was resonating

i had to hold the revs at 4k for the test

car of the evening was a 400+ bhp mr2, he recorded 135.6db which was amusing, but i'm now stressing as i dont want a fine, and i'm going to get stopped as i've got a 4" exhaust poking out my back bumper

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

did they tell you what law it is that you'll be breaching with over 85db's ?

Post Thanks / Like

no, but they can always make one up, antisocial behaviour (section 59) or even modifying exhaust to make more noise

surely a scorpion is road legal? its not been modified in any way

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what youre saying, but if someone tried to charge me with anything of the sort I'd want to know exactly what it was they were charging me with. they can't have plucked 85db out of a hat, it must relate to something ? maybe soom googling with 85db in the search might answer than one ?!

scorpion or any aftermarket isn't automatically legal, do they even conform to a standard of any kind ? they satisfy an MOT which does for most people

Post Thanks / Like

i've just emailed scorpion, even though they dont list it any more, its definately a scorpion so they definately made it and sold it at one point.

i have no idea where the 85 has come from, spent hours trawling the next and couldn't find a definitive answer, mot there is no 'limit' unless the tester deems it too loud, SVA has 101 limit and as for construction and use, it looks like 86db for a scooter but no mention of cars.

i guess just like to have all the information to hand as i think they are scaremongering and i'd rather spend £30 on fuel than an unjustified ticket (tax)

also i've head that the area where its tested needs at least 10m of space behind the car, i had a car parked about a carlength behind

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm

taken from here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-g...l-exhaust.html

"every exhaust system and silencer .... shall not, after the date of manufacture, be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases."

This means you cannot modify the component parts yourself.
    ie remove silencer material from a EU certified back box, or drill holes in it.
    It does not mean that you cannot change one 'E' marked system and swap it for another 'E' marked and approved system speccified for your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess its going to be a case of sideys with the tip tucked hidden behind the skirt and some fake backboxe's hanging out the arse end of the car in future :P

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty harsh in my opionon I would say my exhaust is quite loud but not excessive I have an old k-tec slash cut system.

We need to thank all the barry boys who put big stupid bean cans on the back of there 1.1 for this!

I suppose the only thing I can relate it to is if you give it the beans down a street at whatever time in the morning and wake everybody up. A little bit inconsiderate I suppose but I could easly see some people getting some satisfaction from it.

it's always something isn't it! I have had a few issues with my window tints, I have been fined three times so they have been taken off. What next standard exhausts? lol I suppose it is possable to make an existing stainless exhaust quieter

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Abit of a ****ter, so my Devil sidey wont be ok to use on the road then...

Post Thanks / Like

a mate of mine got sound tested the other night in his astra with aftermarket exhaust and it was 91db. he got a 30 quid fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post

car of the evening was a 400+ bhp mr2, he recorded 135.6db which was amusing,

A 747 on take-off is only something like 140db!

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong but iirc legally you're not aloud to change the exhaust to alter the sound as you've found on scoobynet but it does give a percentage to which is exceptable I.e if your car gave a Reading from factory, new cars have it on v5, of say 80 you get a certain percentage as if you needed a replacement exhaust say a walker or bosal they can't gaurentee it will be the same as the factory system. To fix a limit of 85 is rediculous as all cars differ

sorry my spelling is awful today and have no spell checker!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm

taken from here:

"every exhaust system and silencer .... shall not, after the date of manufacture, be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases."

It does not mean that you cannot change one 'E' marked system and swap it for another 'E' marked and approved system speccified for your vehicle.

Hmmm so there saying you can not change the car any way as it did when it rolled off the factory line..... this is imposibble as even manufactures use patern parts for new and older cars also what if u own a stock ferrari , lambo, super bike... etc.. as any of these are much louder than 95db

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmm

taken from here:

Ok, but that seems specific to scotland. I wonder how the english antisocial laws look in comparison. in their case it looks like (yet again) there has been a law introduced that is sufficiently vague enough for the police to charge whoever they like with whatever they like. There are lots of those sufficiently vague laws, I know from experience

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread on the MLR about this...

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...police+exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

This is just wrong

Just another way of the government robbing money from the general public to help pay of their billions of depts

I`m quite sure my k-tec sidey will be illegal then,

Still, it sounds positively gay compared to the vortex afterburner i had on the impreza, this baby would quite easily set everyones car alarm off in asda carpark when i drove past

Post Thanks / Like

i darent bring my orange one out whilst the police are out with the db meter, as officially i failed the snetterton noise test (i think its 97-98db or something) and was only allowed on track as i know the track manager

Post Thanks / Like

Can the police force you to rev your car then? it's your car at the end of the day!

Post Thanks / Like

what about kit cars? they're noisey & are modified from the off.

Post Thanks / Like

the 5 is an old car so cant some noise come down to being age related??

the police....just system fodder...

Post Thanks / Like

i'm going to b a pain in the arse if they do stop me...

going to let him do then test, then ask if it was the correct distance/height/angle as i didn't see him measure it, also i'll just refuse to sign anything unless they test their police volvo at the same time. plus they can't do me for being antisocial unless i'm driving like a nob, which i'll make sure i'm not

its bollocks, and if i get caught then i'll just have to fit my external wastegate and maybe even an exhaust diverter valve, that way it'll pass their test but still be loud when i drive away

Post Thanks / Like

one good thing is,hopefully them awful clap clap clap sounding bikes will dissappear!!

i feel like mowing them fookers down!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nayls View Post
    Can the police force you to rev your car then? it's your car at the end of the day!
    very good point... but then again they can make you breathe into a tube can't they

Post Thanks / Like

about 8 years ago my first 5 was seised because they thought it was to loud and got a check done.

then i had to go and pick it up about 5 hours later after it PASSED.

and before i left i had to remove the sun strip and window tints.

not happy and did not even get an apology.

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I got in trouble years ago for a loud sound system and the police seem to make up limitis to suit them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5GTTurbo View Post
    Its times like this that im glad i live in a sh*thole of an area:the police are far too busy to worry about db limits on exhausts like the woman left for dead with her hand cut off only 2 roads away from me in recent times!
    I thought anything below 90db was safe

i doubt they would get a reading in my area any way, to much interfearence from gun shots and police sirens goverments skint and sending out their sherfis to round up more taxes

Post Thanks / Like

who makes there equipment for the noise test i wonder..bet its rigged..

oh your a copper in a uniform i trust you....

Post Thanks / Like

i did take a look last nite, no brand names, doubt very much that its 'home office approved' or even calibrated for that matter, but back to the topic slightly, does anyone know anything for definate on the limits etc?

i've emailed scorpion but still waiting for a reply

Post Thanks / Like

i did take a look last nite, no brand names, doubt very much that its 'home office approved' or even calibrated for that matter, but back to the topic slightly, does anyone know anything for definate on the limits etc?

i've emailed scorpion but still waiting for a reply

be good to know limits etc,also a lot of it like chris was saying on what charges??
    i think in general its knowing the law and a way around it and maybe tying the copper up with what he is saying/charging you with.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd be interested to know how loud a standard r5gtt is as well, since they'd need to know to accuse me of it being louder than it should...

Post Thanks / Like

also what conditions do the exhaust manufacturers test the pipes under to get there kite mark etc?,im guessing they test it at different revs/distance to meet the criteria,and tbh the rozzers testing at the side of the road is unfair an not accurate at all.

what about other cars/bikes even...nice tvr at idle is going to sound fruity or how about some supercar car with a v8...maybe its just us again in our little classed as boy racer hot hatches getting the attention and are an easy target.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a guy on the MLR that stated his STANDARD evo8 (IIRC) was louder than 89 db out of the box ! Feck knows what I'm gonna do if they pull me in the Evo, it's not excessivly loud but deffo louder than standard, the feckers pulled me the other night driving through the town, just driving, they jump out the car & stop me like a crim thats done a bank job, then I get the 'do you know why we pulled you over?' "no" i say
    'your front number plate is illegal'
    "oh really, i just bought the car are you sure ?"
    'yes, & the back one is as well'
    to which I reply "no thats deffo an import plate"
    ' no it's illegal sir'
    "er no it's not"
    'yes it is, we have cars like this in the force & ours aren't like that'
    "er, thats because yours are piece of sh!t uk models" (I'd had enough by now) "so are you going to issue a ticket then?"
    ' no, i was just pointing out that you have an illegal no plate"
    ' great so you're wasting both of out time then'
    to which the reply was "I can give you a ticket as you came down that street & it's a padestrian only street"
    'er I think you'll find that at 9pm it's not actually'
    he says " do you want a ticket"
    I reply ' yeah ok if you want to go give the dozen or so cars parked down there tickets as well'
    SILENCE
    "well I'm calling in a traffic car"
    'Ok I say, lets waste thier time as well
    of he trots to the radio
    comes back & ...............
    on your way but I've put it on the system about that plate..
    wazzers, sorry for the essay/rant..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    There was a guy on the MLR that stated his STANDARD evo8 (IIRC) was louder than 89 db out of the box ! Feck knows what I'm gonna do if they pull me in the Evo, it's not excessivly loud but deffo louder than standard,
    I'm stuffed if I get pulled then, I think my Nur Spec comes in at about 108db. It vibrates things in the house when I drive up the road at 2mph

It's also lead to me getting notes under my wipers at work from residents, asking me to park else ware

I really should get something a bit quieter, but despite the shear volume, it's actually a nice sounding exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    I'm stuffed if I get pulled then, I think my Nur Spec comes in at about 108db. It vibrates things in the house when I drive up the road at 2mph

It's also lead to me getting notes under my wipers at work from residents, asking me to park else ware

I really should get something a bit quieter, but despite the shear volume, it's actually a nice sounding exhaust.

stick a banana up it billy dizzle!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    stick a banana up it billy dizzle!!!

It'd have to be a big banana. Fecking 5" tailpipe

Post Thanks / Like

It'd have to be a big banana. Fecking 5" tailpipe
    I've got a mongoose on mine so not that badass...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I've got a mongoose on mine so not that badass...
    Amateur exhaust

Or should that be: Sensible exhaust?

Post Thanks / Like

Amateur exhaust

,unless you can fit a bunch of bananas up it its amateur!!

Post Thanks / Like

Amateur exhaust

Maybe get one of those remote valves which restrict the flow? Close it in the residential area, then open it when you're on the move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BriC View Post
    Maybe get one of those remote valves which restrict the flow? Close it in the residential area, then open it when you're on the move.
    The Nur Spec comes with a silencing 'bung', that is a simple bolt in jobbie. It quietens it down a lot, but it still gets complaints

Post Thanks / Like

The Nur Spec comes with a silencing 'bung', that is a simple bolt in jobbie. It quietens it down a lot, but it still gets complaints
    Fair enough. I had one of them on the 200SX I had, but it just vibrated to hell and made it louder so I took it off in the end. Then again, it was just a cheapo ebay exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

im going to buy a noise leval tester tonight and test mine

keep it in the car with me an if i get puled up and tested, ill also test theres.

that'll hold um