Re: The future of RTOC...SHAKE UP??

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    And the V6, phases 1 and 2

I'll get my coat

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nayls View Post
    2: Semi merge with other clubs,ie if you're a member of rtoc you can join x,y or z club for a reduced fee & vice versa,this gets clubs promoting each other & would help with getting larger numbers to events as the clubs could hold joint track day's/events,wether other clubs would be intrested in this though i really dont know.
    INSPIRED idea their Nayls!!!!

This one has got some good potential to benefit us and another club so it's the old back scratching job!

Didn't expect that from "The Breaker"

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Not really, he's started a thread asking for a discussion about it, not really offered any ideas or solutions and then hasn't been party to the discussion he started.

Its like being at work and asking everyone to attend a meeting then fecking off to do something else whilst they all sit round wondering what its all about.
    Someone else was mentioned way back in that first thread & I've yet to see a comment from him either?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post

This one has got some good potential to benefit us and another club so it's the old back scratching job!

Its a good idea, the ford lads with the st's (not std's) all have one website with the 4 clubs or so embedded into it. Its quite a good set up.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as sharing a track day it's not a new idea and has been tried. Not all that successfully. Attempts were made to get other clubs to our Pod days. They didn't even have to help with the organisation. Just turn up.

There was that VW G40 / G60 vs RTOC day. Did the 2nd one ever happen?

Basically this is what the FCS is. A group of clubs sharing a track day. Didn't it start of as a Peugeot club day?

Maybe with more co-ordination (effort from someone) a joint venture cold happen with the right club(s).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post
    one website with the 4 clubs or so embedded into it. Its quite a good set up.
    And one will want signatures, one doesn't. No agreement. No deal. Kind of thing. I don't mean to sound negative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post

It's entirely voluntary. We don't have a queue chomping at the heels of the committee wanting to be in the active core or the club which might make those there have to perform faster. We (I assume clubs like this one in general) can barely get enough people to do the basic essential tasks required! And mostly they have little spare time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

I've been on the R5 scene for nearly 9 years and although quiet at first (5 years lol) i was regularly helping people out when i lived oop north behind the scenes. A lot more so over the last 5 years in Devon.

Since i started having more time in the UK i have offered to help with the club a number of times on the old site and this one, both on the boards and via PM (I recall Chris Hebden has done also). I have never been taken up on it though.

Also if the club wants to stock any Devil or De Carbon decals i can still get them made.
    Are all my posts invisible, i must be getting like Mart...

Why don't the committie ASK in a specific thread (perhaps in the club talk section) for all these voulenteers needed to help out with things, or for people who would like to offer their services for a specific role as and when people stand down or move on. I know of 3 or 4 people who would be more than happy to take a more active role.

The whole ethos of having to be invited onto the committie gives rise to the 'clique' suspicions.

Post Thanks / Like

Err they/we already do .

There was a thread when Penfold stepped down and I applied ...I don't know whether you are aware but I don't even own a 5 or have been a long serving member so hardly a cliquey thing

Post Thanks / Like

Are all my posts invisible, i must be getting like Mart...

Why don't the committie ASK in a specific thread (perhaps in the club talk section) for all these voulenteers needed to help out with things, or for people who would like to offer their services for a specific role as and when people stand down or move on. I know of 3 or 4 people who would be more than happy to take a more active role.

The whole ethos of having to be invited onto the committie gives rise to the 'clique' suspicions.
    Completely agree

Post Thanks / Like

Invisible posts seem to be catching ......................

Post Thanks / Like

someone say something then or was it the wind lol

Post Thanks / Like

hello ..heeeeeello ..hello ?

Post Thanks / Like

on another note, cliosport has a traders section, the tuners pay for there on section on the site (£200) where they place all there updates and tuning parts for the queersport lot?

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    on another note, cliosport has a traders section, the tuners pay for there on section on the site (£200) where they place all there updates and tuning parts for the queersport lot?
    Clio sport also have 40,000+ members... and how many tuner's want to be on rtoc when they get slaughtered very time they try and sell a product... or somebody says you can buy it here for less??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    You really think people like K Tec would pay to be here in a traders whatever it is, anyway they've earnt their money big time out of us now it's the Clio boys etc

Post Thanks / Like

was just a thought, on reflection tho no tuners are that intrested any more, and fair point if the business is with newer models

Post Thanks / Like

can i suggest a 2 tier membership?

1 membership, say £10 gets you acces to the boards, you can read and post everywhere EXCEPT you CANT post for sale ads.
    if you want to post in the sales room, you have to upgrade to a gold member for an extra £10 a year.

if you wanna sell something for a 5 here is most peoples 1st port of call, and who wont pay a tenner if it means they will get more back.
    as an added incentive maybe you get a 10% discount from the shop? or keyring/sticker......

will drum up a bit more cash and its something you can do at any time, dont need to do it as you renew, so spreads the cost, or do it for £15 for a year if both memberships paid together?

Post Thanks / Like

That's perhaps not a bad idea in some ways. But it'll make existing members use ebay to sell occasional small bits.

It maybe technically too difficult to implement with up three different fee periods. Ie, new members fee for 12 months. An extra fee for £10 for some other 12 month period. Renewal fee of £10. The vB system can only really cope with one fee once per member per year. Scoff has had to 'customise' it to get it to do the two stage fee and that only just works. To throw another fee in at a random start date in parallel with one two, or overlapping, existing fees might be not do-able.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole ethos of having to be invited onto the committee gives rise to the 'clique' suspicions.
    The committee is pretty small and very static. There have not been new members since Dawn about 16 months ago who joined to do the Contacts, Lee who joined to do the shop in response to our 'advert', and Dave who took over from Maggie when she had to leave in a hurry. Dave had already offered to Miller to do that role before she left.

Before that, in about Jan 2007, I seem to recall I ran a thread for a while asking for people to help with Contacts and the Shop. A couple of people offered and were accepted. A few contacts were added but the re-organise did not get done. We gave someone the task of editing tidying and organising the articles but that did not get done either. Someone was supposed to be looking after the website and the data but that also was not being done, hence the loss of 20GB of photos and video and 12 months threads. It's very disheartening to those few who are constantly trying when this keep happening year upon year.

I asked a few people since then who were prominent on the boards with suggestions in threads like this one if they wanted to get more involved, even if was just being a plain committee member and making suggestions, maybe helping here and there, but none were interested.

Not all the committee read all the boards all the time. I for one, for the last year, don't read much of them much now. If someone want to get more involved all they have to do is send a PM, e-mail or even a form from the homepage 'Contact us'. They could start with the top of the list of committee on the Club page and work their way down if there is not a fast enough response.

Quite often people who have become involved have just not done anything and become un-involved a few months or more later. People sometimes have a wrong notion about what being at the top is about, it's about work, giving up your time to do what is quite often really boring low level admin! It's thankless. It's difficult to find a fun element in it so unless one is motivated to do it for the greater good of the club people soon lose interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you please sent their details to me in a pm?

And if you / they have a particular area they'd like to help with or skill set / training that could meet needs we may not even know we have!

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If that can't be done how about the £25 for 1st time members gets extended so it becomes £25 for a gold member and £10 for a STD member.

I think for a 1 off payment people would do it cos there's no hassle to sell here and eBay gets expensive quickly.

Or how about charging 50p to place a classified add?

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Can you please sent their details to me in a pm?

And if you / they have a particular area they'd like to help with or skill set / training that could meet needs we may not even know we have!

Thanks.
    Done mate, as for the articles bit, i may be able to throw some time to it... just let me know what you think would be best. I could always collate some info from threads and do some Word articles for different GTT areas, but they would need auditing/checking by someone to check the details and add stuff ive missed. Also would need people to send photos as ive lost most of mine in a computer HDD loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Done mate, as for the articles bit, i may be able to throw some time to it... just let me know what you think would be best. I could always collate some info from threads and do some Word articles for different GTT areas, but they would need auditing/checking by someone to check the details and add stuff ive missed. Also would need people to send photos as ive lost most of mine in a computer HDD loss.
    That would be great, guides with more pics would help everyone out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    Not really, he's started a thread asking for a discussion about it, not really offered any ideas or solutions and then hasn't been party to the discussion he started.

Its like being at work and asking everyone to attend a meeting then fecking off to do something else whilst they all sit round wondering what its all about.

That is exactly the point of a message board. It nothing like aranging a meeting.

You post your bit and then go do something more constructive than sitting and waiting. You return later and view the posts.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

would just like to add our little point...

we came on the trip to the 'ring last year as guests of your club and really enjoyed the event and the company... after being members of other Renault clubs over the years this was a refreshing change... the promise of more events like it in the future made us sign up to your club...

now... we don't have a turbo... we have a Williams and a 197..... I USED to own a 5GTT many years ago and still have a passion for the car... but our main passion is for fast small Renaults...

So, are we the type of people your club is wanting to attract?

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigWilly425 View Post
    would just like to add our little point...

we came on the trip to the 'ring last year as guests of your club and really enjoyed the event and the company... after being members of other Renault clubs over the years this was a refreshing change... the promise of more events like it in the future made us sign up to your club...

now... we don't have a turbo... we have a Williams and a 197..... I USED to own a 5GTT many years ago and still have a passion for the car... but our main passion is for fast small Renaults...

I would say so, providing you don't fit a chavvy bodykit and start endless detailing threads on how you clean every last spec of dust from the ashtry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'll get my coat
    No such thing as a phase 1 cup?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    I would say so, providing you don't fit a chavvy bodykit and start endless detailing threads on how you clean every last spec of dust from the ashtry
    I don't agree with this. Club members can do what they like to their cars and are entitled to talk about it on the boards as much as they like (as long as they are prepared for opinions). Duplicate threads are a no-no though as you point out and I'm dubious about non-Renault marques.

My personal view on bodykits is that they are pap, but I don't mind seeing builds/pics and I love to see obsessive cleaning, lol. I even enjoyed the white Citroen AX clean-up if I'm honest.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    The Williams is in pretty good nick but I leave my detailing to myself.... for those that have met us were probably as far away from chavs as you can get.. (BTW, just 'cos I like the Williams, does that make me a chav in most peoples eyes?)

Post Thanks / Like

No more chav than those of us that like r5s lol

and yea I agree people with ****ty bodykits are more than welcome here but have to expect they will get slated at every oportunity.

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stu21t View Post
    No more chav than those of us that like r5s lol

and yea I agree people with ****ty bodykits are more than welcome here but have to expect they will get slated at every oportunity.
    marmite i love it

Post Thanks / Like

(BTW, just 'cos I like the Williams, does that make me a chav in most peoples eyes?)
    Not at all! Here there are many ex 5GTT owners who are still members but have moved onto another car. Sometimes they buy themselves another 5GTT years later.

Chav = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point Dazzler!

So as a relative Noob to the RTOC mate what do you think we could do to attract a few more non RT's to our OC??

I don't think that the guys off Williams Clio do much of a track or Pod day do they??

I know we're getting a few more members from the Clio clubs now such as you and F0XY?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmmm, now without wanting to get too involved as we are newbies... but here are a few suggestions....

1) Newsletter - either paper or electronic, perhaps once a quarter - chose a members car to focus on, have a classifieds sections, an update on events - but put stuff in that's different from the website... I'm sure there's plenty of people who are willing to contribute stuff - yes??

2) e-mail updates, perhaps once a month... how things are progressing with events, any other club news... again rather than just posting stuff on here... personal messages from the committee on what is going on (or not as the case may be..)

3) Profile of the club - as you all so rightly say, the club is viewed externally as a club for 5 GTT's... you/we need to change that perception.... it the strategy IS to go for more general Renault people then make that change... and then advertise it!! (for example, look at RAOC, they started off as just Alpines/GTA's but have had to broaden their scope to include all Dieppe cars...)

4) Events - this was the biggest thing that attracted us to your club - but you must go through with the ideas... the list that was put up at the end of last year for 2010 looked fantastic but how many of these will actually happen?? When was the last time that post was updated? Quite a while a go I think.... If you don't follow things through then people will start to move away and look elsewhere again...

5) Other clubs - you can probably gain more members by not necessarily "high-jacking" other clubs or message boards, but you may get more interest if you are allowed to post in their events sections... some clubs, WilliamsClio for example, are more keyboard warrior types anyway so may welcome some alternative options like ourselves... down the willingness of clubs to pool and share things I suppose...

there... a few thoughts.... over to you!

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Big Steve - Raider;133553]
    what do you think we could do to attract a few more

why dont we look on our own doorstep. we often have a few guests on the boards. could we not get these guys to sign up as proper members?

could we get a months trial.? (maybe with a small fee)

Post Thanks / Like

2) e-mail updates, perhaps once a month... how things are progressing with events, any other club news... again rather than just posting stuff on here... personal messages from the committee on what is going on (or not as the case may be..)
    If this is done to members personal email addresses it could be a great way to remind those hundreds of inactive members that the club is still going strong and possibly persuade some to get re/involved. Top idea.

Post Thanks / Like

think all of them are good ideas.
    I like the idea of a quaterly newsletter with updates of what's hapening with the comitee.
    The write up of members cars is good, I would be happy to take pics and write up of mine if people want?
    Would need some help with what to write tho, might b an idea to copy a mag write up.

Post Thanks / Like

Could we sweeten up the people who run other clubs by giving them a free membership? Then they might let us post events in their main rooms, they will get a lot more views then.
    I'm sure that would get some more members and more busy events.

Post Thanks / Like

All great ideas but a lot of it will need more hands to the pump .We need more people to step up and actually do something about them
    Dawn is getting something along the lines of a newsletter together and the mass email system is already in place .

Post Thanks / Like

i like the 1 month trial period of £3 as a taster for new members to come and have a look around, but dont let them post the classifieds as thats abused enough already, they will have to upgrade to full member for that.
    what about recomend a friend like we used to have, for every new member you get to join you get a quid off your renewal. electronic newsletter sent by email would be cool too.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    i like the 1 month trial period of £3 as a taster for new members to come and have a look around, but dont let them post the classifieds as thats abused enough already, they will have to upgrade to full member for that.
    what about recomend a friend like we used to have, for every new member you get to join you get a quid off your renewal. electronic newsletter sent by email would be cool too.
    The problem here (unfortunately) is the forum. while very good at most things, it is restricted in what it can do when it comes to membership charges. As Ian said already, I had to put quite some work in to make it function with our present 2 membership costs. The add-on system that I installed to cope with mebership taking was originally designed only to deal with one cost for all. Adding yet more features to that will be hard going, and some will be impossible.

Having said all that, adding a new level of mebership as described above should not be too hard, as long as it does not need to integrate with the current system. For instance, the £3 for 1month's of restricted membership should be do-able. There would however be no way of granting those people a discount should they wish to upgrade to full membership, because that would involve integration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    The problem here (unfortunately) is the forum. while very good at most things, it is restricted in what it can do when it comes to membership charges. As Ian said already, I had to put quite some work in to make it function with our present 2 membership costs. The add-on system that I installed to cope with mebership taking was originally designed only to deal with one cost for all. Adding yet more features to that will be hard going, and some will be impossible.

Having said all that, adding a new level of mebership as described above should not be too hard, as long as it does not need to integrate with the current system. For instance, the £3 for 1month's of restricted membership should be do-able. There would however be no way of granting those people a discount should they wish to upgrade to full membership, because that would involve integration.
    maybe thats a good thing on not being able to refund the £3, maybe it will encourage more people to spend the £25 instead but for those unsure can use the £3 to make sure we are what they want. maybe they could have the £3 off their first shop order or they get a free calendar or t shirt if they upgrade but it would put more stress on the shop for clee.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of making it a membership fee in the sense of paying through the site, could it not be paid into the shop? So goes into the shops bank account.

Post Thanks / Like

There is already a gift voucher for new shop accounts .Nobody seems to use it though I will have to test it again ,it did work when I first enabled it .

Trouble is the Club Membership account is not linked to the Shop Account and we cannot link the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Given we can't see what's being posted on the Committee section, I just wondered what Chris's (President) take on all these ideas was?

Post Thanks / Like

Does it matter if the shop account isn't linked to membership? At the end of the day it all gets used for the good of the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Why charge at all, could the forum allow for two weeks of free access on application.