Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

VAG Clio 20v Turbo Suspension Recommendations Please??

I'm looking for a bit of guidance off you track day types on what to do regarding the suspension on my Clio Williams VAG 20v Turbo??

The shocks that are on their at the moment are Avo Roadsport (I believe) and are not coilovers or anything flash, just Avo struts. One of them is leaking so I need to make a move.

As I see it my options are:

1) Standard Brand New Williams Shocks all round (As the Williams was renound for it's handling

2) Alternative standard shocks & springs

3) Coilovers??

I don't really want to be splashing out £1000 on a suspension set up and have seen that I can get an Avo Coilover set for about £500 but I've heard mixed reports regarding just how good these kits are??

I know i'm no track driving god but I'd like to make the right decision on what to replace the knackered dampers with??

ANY advice or recommendations welcome guys & girls!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VAG Clio 20v Turbo Suspension Recommendations Please??

From what ive read over the past year (on Williamsclio and C16v) id never go near Avos. Everyone ive spoken to say they leak quite often, and are always on and off the car being sent off to be rebuilt.

Ive been running Williams FK Coilovers since Nov 08, never had a single problem (Done 11/12 trackdays in 2009) and they seem to be really nice. I didnt bother with the damping adjustable versions, just height adjustable (Highsport Model)...

I think I paid £350 delivered, they are £370 now.

Good reports on all counts from people running them from what ive read!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f0xy View Post
    Ive been running Williams FK Coilovers since Nov 08, never had a single problem (Done 11/12 trackdays in 2009) and they seem to be really nice. I didnt bother with the damping adjustable versions, just height adjustable (Highsport Model)...
    Thanks F0xy!! I was looking at the FK Coilie's but was thinking it would be better to go for the damper adjustable versions but if you say the non adjustables are ok then i'll go for them

I was checking out your website the other day & from memory haven't you got some GAZ dampers for the back or something??

Post Thanks / Like

i had avos on my williams
    the rears ended up leaking but the fronts where great! adujustable as well.

saying that when ever i look into suspension upgrades everyone always recommends koni yellows!

might be worth it

Post Thanks / Like

Big Steven...

Drop mr Andy Cooke a PM...can't remember what he is using on his Twingo but they are the danglies

These guys are going to be doing my coilovers...http://www.astsuspensionuk.com...

I've heard nothing but good things about FK too, very reliable and durable suspension

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Thanks F0xy!! I was looking at the FK Coilie's but was thinking it would be better to go for the damper adjustable versions but if you say the non adjustables are ok then i'll go for them

I was checking out your website the other day & from memory haven't you got some GAZ dampers for the back or something??
    Aha well noted

Yeah ive got some but they are only for 2010, just to give me some adjustable damping to play with. For the bit extra cash yeah I would go for the adjustable damping (Fks) if you want to be able to play with the settings...but if you just want to fit and forget, giving you a good damping feel from the box the non-adjustable damping ones are pretty good.

AST's are a good shout too, really nice suspension, quite expensive though

Post Thanks / Like

Steve get something custom to your car - I dealt with koni direct on the 5 VAG project and not that expensive as I got them to revalve / different spring rates - basically rebuild cost and did the corner weight side of things for free. Got his number if you want it

Nitron are Very good but not cheap - heard good things about N-Trac but never used the stuff

Gaz gold are a good option for cost (prob because I pay trade and a lot cheaper than RRP vx220 turbo are £599 I get for £426 and your own chice of valving / spring rates at no extra cost

Depends what you want from them really - go with quality over adjustment if it comes down to cost if you want some help with spec you know the number.

DG

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

we have gaz gold, fully adjustable all good so far