Post Thanks / Like

1.8 16v conversion

just wondering if there was a conversion guide to this engine on here somewhere. i just bought an engine, garbox and ecu last night and havent got a clue where to start and what i need to put it in the 5.

cheers paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1.8 16v conversion

Don't think there is a guide but first thing you want to be getting a GTX front engine mount, that will allow you to fit the engine to the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate but i dont speak german dont know if i can translate it some how. got the gtx mount for it i wanted to know whether i could use the 5 turbo clutch on it. and can the 5 gearbox can be used or is it better to stick with the clio box cheers paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dingo22033774 View Post
    cheers mate but i dont speak german dont know if i can translate it some how. got the gtx mount for it i wanted to know whether i could use the 5 turbo clutch on it. and can the 5 gearbox can be used or is it better to stick with the clio box cheers paul
    Yes you can use the 5 clutch and gearbox with the clio engine mate

Post Thanks / Like

got hold of the gtx front mount and it is the same as the gt turbo one would it be the bracket i want as well or have i got the wrong mount because i couldnt see a place to bolt the bracket off the gtt on the f7p. also with the exhaust have i got to cut the gt turbo exhaust and weld a flange bit on there to join up with the downpipe on the f7p lump or is there an exhaust i can get that will fit without cutting it cheers paul

Post Thanks / Like

got hold of the gtx front mount and it is the same as the gt turbo one would it be the bracket i want as well or have i got the wrong mount because i couldnt see a place to bolt the bracket off the gtt on the f7p. also with the exhaust have i got to cut the gt turbo exhaust and weld a flange bit on there to join up with the downpipe on the f7p lump or is there an exhaust i can get that will fit without cutting it cheers paul
    Did you buy the rubber mount or the metal bracket that bolts to the block? You need the one that goes to the block.

Yes you'll need to cut the 5 exhaust down and weld a flange to it so you can bolt the clio downpipe to the exhaust system, this makes it easier to remove the exhaust later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Did you buy the rubber mount or the metal bracket that bolts to the block? You need the one that goes to the block.

Yes you'll need to cut the 5 exhaust down and weld a flange to it so you can bolt the clio downpipe to the exhaust system, this makes it easier to remove the exhaust later on.
    just got the rubber mount do you know where i would get one my local places just tell me its all the same on every engine

Post Thanks / Like

just got the rubber mount do you know where i would get one my local places just tell me its all the same on every engine
    Have a word with Mike (phase 1 16v turbo), he can source a brand new one for you mate

Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate while im picking your brains mate how would i go about the electrical side of things ive got the loom for the clio but what and where would need joinin together. and would i have to use the clio gear linkage cheers mate paul

Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate while im picking your brains mate how would i go about the electrical side of things ive got the loom for the clio but what and where would need joinin together. and would i have to use the clio gear linkage cheers mate paul
    No you don't need the clio gear linkage, as you'll be using the 5 box the gear linkage can stay the same.

On the electric's side, you'll need the clio engine loom with ecu, then its just a case of adapting the main plug for the clio loom to the 5, will mean abit of cutting and soldering of the wires.
    I can't remember in detail what wires go where, been while since looked at the plugs

Post Thanks / Like

No you don't need the clio gear linkage, as you'll be using the 5 box the gear linkage can stay the same.

On the electric's side, you'll need the clio engine loom with ecu, then its just a case of adapting the main plug for the clio loom to the 5, will mean abit of cutting and soldering of the wires.
    I can't remember in detail what wires go where, been while since looked at the plugs
    oh yeah silly me just looking at it sitting there im getting carried away cheers for your help mark

Post Thanks / Like

How do i mount the gtx bracket onto the valver lump? any pics please. Cheers paul

Post Thanks / Like

How do i mount the gtx bracket onto the valver lump? any pics please. Cheers paul
    There are 3 cast thread lugs on the front of the block down the corner near the water pump end, it will bolt straight onto those mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get the loom complete with a brown and a white plug on? The white plug has the oil temp and pressure on it and the brown is all the rest like ign +. fuel pump. reverse light switch etc. There should be like a mini fuse box also with the fuel pump relay in, rad fan relay and injection latch relay too.

Post Thanks / Like

There are 3 cast thread lugs on the front of the block down the corner near the water pump end, it will bolt straight onto those mate.
    yep cheers mate found it but had to do a little grinding to get it to fit. and finally got the lump in and put most of it together cheers paul

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac trasher - Nick View Post
    Did you get the loom complete with a brown and a white plug on? The white plug has the oil temp and pressure on it and the brown is all the rest like ign +. fuel pump. reverse light switch etc. There should be like a mini fuse box also with the fuel pump relay in, rad fan relay and injection latch relay too.
    yes got the loom and it has got a brown plug and a white plug next to each other there is no mini fuse box with it but there is 5 plugs together that look like they hold relays cheers paul

Post Thanks / Like

ive got the 1.8 16v lump in mine if you need any help just ask mines all wired in and running so can go take a look at any bits you need to locate ive got the clio gearbox with clio clocks so ive got cable driven speedo theres 2 wires that run from the ecu to the speedo cable where it plugs into behinde the clocks which tells the ecu the speed the engines running.

Post Thanks / Like

thers 2 thick wires that run from the fuse box in the engine bay ones for the fuel pump the others for the rad fan fuse the one from the rad fan to the positive on the battery. the other can be conected to the renault 5 turbo fuel pump relay wire inside the car by the 5s fuse box passenger side.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would anyone do this???? with no turbo? am i missing somthing???

Post Thanks / Like

goes pretty well still less to worry about, sounds the nuts when higher up the rev range, still love the c1j but something new with the look of the 5.

Post Thanks / Like

hello there mr white where is it that i am to cut the 5gtt loom and attach it to the clio loom and would you know what wires that i have to solder back up gonna have a crack tommorrow at it. i also got some breather pipes but havent a clue where they go. cheers paul
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Why would anyone do this???? with no turbo? am i missing somthing???
    i will be putting a turbo on it at some point just got to gather all the bits first

Post Thanks / Like

have you got the non power steering stuff if not the belt i used on mine 6pk803 and renault 5 alternator adjuster bracket. il have a look in the morning and write up the colour codes for wires where your horn is at the moment is where ive mounted the engine fuse box fits perfect there same angle as the clio for the plastic box i used the horn mounting bracket holes as ive got a electric horn mounted at the front its also lighter lol. breather hoses ive just finished tidying up mine today the ones that normaly go into the back of the air filter box fuel lines are easy just pull of the 5s fpr feeds and plump the clios on will need new clips.pipe from the top left hand side rear of crank case will go straight on to the 5 brake servo might need to shorten.

Post Thanks / Like

right been out today in that 30 mins when it wernt raining and tried to put on what i could of this engine loom. but before it started to rain again i managed to get a few snaps of what wires i couldnt place.

Post Thanks / Like

some more

Post Thanks / Like

PICTURE NO 1
    is the clios brake fluid res sensor plug the one that looks the same as the 5s the other plug goes to the map sensor wich has a pipe coming from the map sensor to the inlet manifold drivers side end

Post Thanks / Like

PICTURE 2
    is the plug for the idle control valve

PICTURE 3
    purple wire goes to the oil pressure sensor wich is located rear of engine drivers side. the 3 pin plug goes to the lamba sensor on the down pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

PIC 5
    COULD BE THE ELECTRIC WATER PUMP THAT LOCATES ON THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONT BY ENGINE MOUNT OR GEARBOX REVERSE SENSOR

PIC6
    is the battery terminal and the other to plugs go to the clios coil.

Post Thanks / Like

PIC 8
    is the alternator brown plug the wires with the loops go on the alternator to.
    the black plug goes to the rad thermostat.

Post Thanks / Like

also got this one cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr white View Post
    PIC 8
    is the alternator brown plug the wires with the loops go on the alternator to.
    the black plug goes to the rad thermostat.
    could you tell me a bit more if you can about the brown plug and what wire would go where as my alternator has not got a plug for this it has just got a thread to which hoops go over and tihgten it up same as the 5 alternator.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

also got this one cheers
    throttle position sensor

Post Thanks / Like

could you tell me a bit more if you can about the brown plug and what wire would go where as my alternator has not got a plug for this it has just got a thread to which hoops go over and tihgten it up same as the 5 alternator.

the brown plug should plug in to a white socket on the top of the alternator il find out where the two other wires go on the back tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

some more

on the brown and white main loom plugs you want the 2 temp gauge wires,
    the yellows connecting (ignition live), reds (permanent live) and the thick white wire for the starter motor solenoid and another white wire to the fuel pump wiring on the 5s loom bay the glove box.

Post Thanks / Like

mr white is there any chance you could post some pics of ur engine bay please mate and some close ups of where the two looms join together please mate. cheers paul
    Last edited by dingo22033774; 06-03-2010 at 15:23. Reason: missed out some text

Post Thanks / Like

mr white is there any chance you could post some pics of ur engine bay please mate and some close ups of where the two looms join together please mate. cheers paul

i will get some for you later

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mr white View Post
    on the brown and white main loom plugs you want the 2 temp gauge wires,
    the yellows connecting (ignition live), reds (permanent live) and the thick white wire for the starter motor solenoid and another white wire to the fuel pump wiring on the 5s loom bay the glove box.
    Where exactly does the white wire join to on the fuel pump wiring?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post

Anyone

I have given you an answer on the other site www.renault5gtturbo.com , hope it is advice that will help.