Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: camshaft selection

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyshaw49 View Post
    nice 1 i will let you know when i route them out thanks,the 270 with t2/t25 sounds good mate, have you got headwork etc??what power will it be pushing out???

no not got headwork done and tbh av been put off getting it done by quite a few people on here, unsure on power really as long as its fun and good to drive i dont mind lol thnink anything over 180bhp in a gt turbo is plenty really

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

true, why have you been put off by headwork on here??? what are the reasons??i thought it was good for turbo'd cars thanks

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

people say its not really worth it as the standard head flows enough for 200+bhp iirc, but iv always had the heads done on my car and been tested on a flow bench and the cfm for inlet and exhaust always been miles better.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread but im just starting to look at turbo upgrade and cam upgrade also. But after reading through this thread i think i might have been thinking along the wrong lines (as in too big) Was thinking of the following give or take-
    Piper 300 cam with uprated springs
    min T28 or T3
    obviously carb work (not a group A!) but not sure what jets i would need
    also what other work would i need in the way of the block (pistons rods etc?)
    lightened and ballenced flywheel?

Its ONLY to be used for 1/4 miles so as long as my power is somewhere between 4500- 7000rpm hopefully and would like to see the high side of 250bhp

like i said i think i have been looking a bit too high so i don't need the next 10 replys or so to be just slaging comments please

thanks

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

christ on a turbo and cam that big you can go way past 7k fella

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have been offered the t3 for free thats why i was thinking of using it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevo clio View Post
    i have been offered the t3 for free thats why i was thinking of using it
    The right T3 is probably a good choice for what you want to do, but it's far from easy to fit one.

I wouldn't use a Piper 300, too much overlap for high boost

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, I can vouch for the BP300 not working with much more than 20lb of boost. BP285 with a vernier is what you want for now. It takes a lot of effort to improve on that.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replys, but what you think about the block/ pistons. can remember some people saying just stick with the standard parts?

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

think i read pistons are good for 270bhp and rods 400+ this might be wrong but iv heard it a few times now

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    think i read pistons are good for 270bhp and rods 400+ this might be wrong but iv heard it a few times now
    cripes, there arn't enough people with 400hp in a C1J to validate that statement. maybe only the one person, gianni santi. I did not ask him what rods he had, most likely not standard.

but for the 200+ hp goal the standard parts will be adequate. pistons being more prone to failure than the rods, so if anything, buy some reputable pistons. ofcourse, don't buy them unless you are 100% confident of your tuning ability. there's nothing more gut wrenching then melting a brand new £600 set of pistons because you got the jetting, or timing slightly wrong

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol as i said i actually dont know if thats the truth its just something id heard a couple times, personally i wouldnt trust standard rods,pistons over 220bhp tbh

Post Thanks / Like

Im still convinced that you can get away with a cast piston DONE RIGHT, Ok i aint calling forged pistons as they are good... But take our honda, we run chinese copys of the vitara OE pistons, so cheap as chips £50 brand new.. They are cast and nothing fancy, just have a larger tapper, and with an increased Piston to wall to match your tune you should find it would work well.. Ive seen peeps over 500hp on casts... Why doesnt anyone try this with a renault pistons?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    lol as i said i actually dont know if thats the truth its just something id heard a couple times, personally i wouldnt trust standard rods,pistons over 220bhp tbh
    thats probably quite sensible for the pistons atleast. the rods are pretty bullet proof, although I've seen some bannana shaped ones that came out of stuart clarkes engine. everything has it's limits

Post Thanks / Like

james willday did ages ago at a EP rolling road days. his car was rattling like a good'un until it got hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    james willday did ages ago at a EP rolling road days. his car was rattling like a good'un until it got hot.
    Interesting.... plus if your to loose that aint good either, where will the heat go.... I thought Ian just fitted old worn pistons from what he told me years back? never said he machined them in anyway? Prob was down to the tune for the fail....

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Interesting.... plus if your to loose that aint good either, where will the heat go.... I thought Ian just fitted old worn pistons from what he told me years back? never said he machined them in anyway? Prob was down to the tune for the fail....
    james had had those steel liners honed more times than I know, infact I remember talking to ian about it in his workshop one day.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, funnily enough i asked willday about them too. he just said he had them honed again, and again and again...

but then again, he was well know for blowing his car up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    yeah, funnily enough i asked willday about them too. he just said he had them honed again, and again and again...

but then again, he was well know for blowing his car up.
    I can remember seeing his 5 being rebuilt numerous times, think in one year we counted 18 pistons!
    Yep those liners got some honing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    yes, I can vouch for the BP300 not working with much more than 20lb of boost. BP285 with a vernier is what you want for now. It takes a lot of effort to improve on that.
    Scoff, atm I only have the Cam but not the pulley.... is it a sound investment or not much gain?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sphinX-B17GTT View Post
    Scoff, atm I only have the Cam but not the pulley.... is it a sound investment or not much gain?
    that depends entirely on how accurately piper gound that cam. from experience the answer is "not very" most of the time. you should check it's timing in the usual way with a DTI gauge and protractor wheel on the crank. If it times up OK then you don't need the pulley.