Post Thanks / Like

mo-ped panels - mini painting project

Not sure where else to bang this.

Small project this, just spraying up some panels/fairings for toms mo-ped.

They are currently yellow and silver , and have a few bits that need sanding out, Currently they are preped down using red scotch , and where needed 180grit followed by 400.

pics will follow.

decided to throw some high build on the panels to hide various scratches etc, here are a few pics of panels preped, and the baby compressor im using for the job.

And some with the high build applied, i had the gun setting wrong at first and the paint wasnt atomising at all and just speckling the surface, an adjustment on the gun though and it went on quite well, next they will be guide coated and flatted back ready for the orange.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: mo-ped panels - mini painting project

Well time was pushing on , and my friend needed these panels back as his ped engine was almost rebuilt.

The weather being freezing was far from perfect and made spraying both hard and cold.. The parts were more likely to drip etc but we managed to get the paint on and shiny, however there was one panel that reacted and a few drips on certain panels. Chances are we may flat these panels down come spring and give them one more blow over but for now it looks ok..

Btw this is pretty much my first time at spraying anything larger than a battery tray.

I speant many many hours flatting all highbuild/guide coat down, the panels were mint no scratches etc

I decided to try and get santa in on the act to give me a hand in the make shift spray booth... he didnt show, bloody Santa !

The paint mixing tray :P

The panels then went orange

I tried to get a few photos to show the reaction, i believe it was a very very small area of silicon where a bike shop previous used a silicon sealant to adhere somthing to the panel, very anoying

just to add they didnt just appear orange.. i did actually have to spray them :P
    I first attacked the hard to reach areas and got a dry coat on the whole panel, then i covered and then again, i had to give it a final top coat to help cover a few areas that were transparant , mainly on the front panel that was silver before.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

good stuff, brave man painting in that temperature nothing that a good flat and polish won't solve.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some wheels for you to spray for me mate.

Post Thanks / Like

haha , cheers scoff, brave or stupid, around the edge of a couple of panels there are a few large drips, that i think if i flatted dwn would go back to primer and would require another shot of paint, but i think hes looking at putting a set of stickers on so it will cover some of them bits.

To be fair kenobi, depending on the wheels, it usually works out at not much more to get them powder coated matey, and will set much much longer, but i can take a look if you like.

Post Thanks / Like

get the g3 out nt bad going

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, what ped are the panels off? I remember painting my Runner a few different colours.. looked good, will dig some picture's out and upload them one day :ho:

Post Thanks / Like

got a couple of pics of them fitted.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a Dragster! I had a 180 cc one of those!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think thats what this is, had some diffrent crank etc etc.. never had a moped so unsure of all these rollers and stuff.