Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

actuators

hi could someone please give me a quick explanation on actuators available eg -31 etc, im currently running a t2/t25 with 360 bearings but next year want to move up to a t25 or t28, im after a new actuator but with so many available dont know what is best, i want to run around 18 psi, i have double intercooler, running on standard pistons with headwork and 285 cam, what actuator would work best on my t25 but also when i get the new t25 or t28? also what are external wastegates used for and is there any benefit appreciate any advice thanks. i have a collins style t3 acuator but on rolling road they said it was too big and it might be leaking but dont know the make for new springs etc

Post Thanks / Like

Re: actuators

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyshaw49 View Post
    hi could someone please give me a quick explanation on actuators available eg -31 etc, im currently running a t2/t25 with 360 bearings but next year want to move up to a t25 or t28, im after a new actuator but with so many available dont know what is best, i want to run around 18 psi, i have double intercooler, running on standard pistons with headwork and 285 cam, what actuator would work best on my t25 but also when i get the new t25 or t28? also what are external wastegates used for and is there any benefit appreciate any advice thanks. i have a collins style t3 acuator but on rolling road they said it was too big and it might be leaking but dont know the make for new springs etc
    http://www.mongooseexhausts.com/

thats collins website, surely a good shout if you need new diaphram for your actuator?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont deal with them mate there useless went all the way down to that place with my mates rs turbo sat there for 4 and half hours whilst they tried to remap the car and they couldnt do it so had to do the 4 hr drive for absolute nothing. any other places selling different actuators couldnt find them on cgb anymore and forge website have they stopped making them?

Post Thanks / Like

i have forge one, i already tried all there is in actuadors, i prefer the forge for the T2, T25 or T28

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers mate thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Only touch genuine actuators, i.e, Garrett, for your application.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so are forge no good mate? whats difference in -31 and -34 actuators .where do i get the genuine ones from to do upto 18 psi boost thanks
    Last edited by jonnyshaw49; 08-12-2009 at 21:06.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the intercooler thread from last week you'll see what people think of Forge's equipment...

Car.crash has posted two links for genuine actuators, however the -34 might be a bit overkill. The -31 is capable of 30+ psi.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks mate ill look at that thread now 30 psi is way too much for me so that -31 will be good enough for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    If you look at the intercooler thread from last week you'll see what people think of Forge's equipment...

Car.crash has posted two links for genuine actuators, however the -34 might be a bit overkill. The -31 is capable of 30+ psi.
    i knew i shouldnt have gone for the -34

Post Thanks / Like

Even Robby laughed at how strong the springs are in them. We had to fit his one to the turbo because he couldn't pull the rod out, atall

Post Thanks / Like

funny you should say that, mine was set at around 3million psi after robbie borrowed it so i backed it off tonight a lot of turns and it still to 2 of us to get it back on. can i still run low boost with it? as i need to run the engine in.

Post Thanks / Like

Off the top of my head, an untouched/shortened one is about 12psi preload and the -31 is 9psi. But the -31's and 34's have to be shortened for the 5 turbo's so preload could be out from standard.

Post Thanks / Like

i had to shorten the rod loads and tap a new thread on before i could fit it. i still have a lot of pull on the actuator so i will back it right off as im on a std carb and dont need much boost yet. 12 psi would be ok i just need to be steady on the right foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    mine was set at around 3million psi after robbie borrowed it
    I've told you a THOUSAND times...I don't exaggerate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    funny you should say that, mine was set at around 3million psi after robbie borrowed it so i backed it off tonight a lot of turns and it still to 2 of us to get it back on. can i still run low boost with it? as i need to run the engine in.

Thats really odd as my -34 only ever runs 12psi no matter how much preload is used.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know if there are any tests to test if an actuator is ok before fitting it onto a car, eg diapragm not split etc. as i have a collins type t3 actuator havnt got a clue what type, could it be a -31 or -34

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a Collins actuator it is not a -31 or -34. Those two numbers relate to the part number Garrett give them. The Garrett actuators have their part number imprinted on them, so you'll know you've got a legit one.

The Collins ones have removable tops, as far as I can remember, so just take it apart and check the diaphram.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i have taken the actuator off the spare turbo, it doesnt have anything stamped on it and its identical to the collins actuator on there site , so think its one of them, on the collins site it says it is a - 31 actuator and good for 25 psi without bleed valve, i took it apart and its got an orange diapraghm inside in good condition, so going to fit it onto my car, is there anything bad about using a collins actuator or disadvantage against genuine garett??

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, it's not a -31 actuator, as the -31 indicates the part number for the actuator from Garrett.

I'm not going to tell you whether to use it or not, it's your decision.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i was just going off the collins site they said its a -31 actuator , so whats difference is it the quality between garrets and the collins or the way it works???

Post Thanks / Like

i was just going off the collins site they said its a -31 actuator , so whats difference is it the quality between garrets and the collins or the way it works???
    I'd say quality mate, Garrett are pretty good whe it comes to quality.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

but would this one be worth using over the standard one untill i get a -31 garett bought???

Post Thanks / Like

but would this one be worth using over the standard one untill i get a -31 garett bought???
    Is there anything wrong with the standard one? Is it holding the boost you want?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using the collins actuator on mine at 20psi and its fine. Either actuator will b fine to use.