Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: few pics of my car :)

If your gona go to town I'd seriously think about checking the crank, new shells all round. From my experiences I would take the liners out to check for cracks, and hone them if they are fine and get new rings. Also check the piston sides for melting marks. Obviously it's more money, but your list is what I consider a half job.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    If your gona go to town I'd seriously think about checking the crank, new shells all round. From my experiences I would take the liners out to check for cracks, and hone them if they are fine and get new rings. Also check the piston sides for melting marks. Obviously it's more money, but your list is what I consider a half job.

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately my funds wont allow to go that far I wish I could but times are tight this time of year and iv just paid an holiday to ibiza off which as you know is not cheap lol. Id love be able get all that you stated done

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bit of a clearer engine bay pic

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

"new group a head gasket set"

Not sure what the "group a" part is all about but I would personally save your money & just use a standard h/g with the 12.9 head bolts......

As long as everything is ok fueling/ign wise it will be fine.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

nice very nice taidy original mint looking 5 mate i like alot

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

took a few more pics of my car last weekend this was just after id topped the ag high def wax up on it (light was not the best)

also got a pic of the ported/bored turbo elbow that mark at gt motorsport is doing me my car is up there now and should have it back today iv had all the fuelling set up by wideband he tells me it was running very lean so good job its being set up ill let you know what alterations he made to the carb etc when i speak to mark 2nite.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

got my car back at 3.45 today and iv just come home so you can say im bloody happy with the results

Post Thanks / Like

Did they take any material from inside the elbow you know mate?

Did he say what your AFR's were by any chance?

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i forgot exactly what he said they were but they now at 11s i think lol i just wanted my car back so wasnt paying too much attention, am back up there in the morn so ill ask then.
    yes he ported both ends then worked on the throat etc

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well iv been out in my car all morning bloody loving it more than ever as its alot better than it was before especially now all the fuelling is bang on it just runs sweet as anything and is miles quiter . iv just been order 2 uniroyal rainsport 2 tyres for next friday and also been get a price on the bodywork i need doing which was £800 so looks like i need get a few foreigners on lol.

engine wise this is staying the same now as i want get the bodywork and other little niggles sorted eg the heaters that work when they want and also want remove the centre heaters and fit mechanical oil pressure, afr meter and boost gauges in its place then ill stick the original digital clock back where the boost gauge is now. Another thing is the passenger window jams so thats got be sorted. overall tho i think for a car thats nearly 20 years old thats not bad going at all.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bloody hell just realised iv not updated this thread for a while the car has been spot on tho apart from my horn deciding to stop working lol. and obviously my knackered old t2 is virtually dead.
    i now also have a head unit that iv fitted its nice to have a bit of music on longish runs . Another thing iv finally managed buy and fit is the smaller boost hose in blue and also have front strut brace fitted (will get pics of engine bay) bay is much tidier now all wires/pipes etc neater

car is being dropped off to ian nixon 2moz evening to get my replacement t2 turbo fitted and oil/filter changed of course.

future plans are as follows

end of sept will be fitting new drilled rear discs and pads
    october is m.o.t time so fingers crossed it does ok i shall be having a pre mot check done by ian nixon so hopefully ill get anything sorted that needs doing before it goes in.

then as winter comes car will be taken off the road covered up with battery disconnected until the time comes to take it the bodyshop to be treated to a respray and louvered bonnet fitted, also want a replacement drivers side door as mine is goin at the bottom and also has a dent in it where some scum bag tried bend the door back.

new year will bring a few changes engine wise eg getting inlet/exhaust manifolds ported/de burred and keep my eyes peeled for a full t25 turbo
    and maybe more headwork and a change of cam.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the colour, and the wheels

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers fella looks like our cars are twins

goin pick car up from ian nixon a bit later its now got the replacement t2 on there and he informs me am goin need get 2 new hoses ( excuse for a couple more samcos) . i shall be having a nice sunday drive i think and the sun is out 4 once lol

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

got car back at 1pm spent a good couple hours driving its spot on again now, i also had boost turned down to 12psi as i dont wanna wear this t2 out as i wanna sell it in new year to put towards a t25

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bored of 12psi

just been out and re set the boost on my car to 16psi took 3 diff attempts the first time it was hitting 20psi second 18psi then bang on the 3rd time. my god what a difference it makes as well was bored at 12psi plus the fuelling is set up for 16 so its miles better now and certainly the quickest since iv owned it . had some great a roads round crewe to give it a test.
    next engine plans are port inlet and exhaust manifolds

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    bored of 12psi

just been out and re set the boost on my car to 16psi took 3 diff attempts the first time it was hitting 20psi second 18psi then bang on the 3rd time. my god what a difference it makes as well was bored at 12psi plus the fuelling is set up for 16 so its miles better now and certainly the quickest since iv owned it . had some great a roads round crewe to give it a test.
    next engine plans are port inlet and exhaust manifolds
    Well done for getting it back on the roads. I take it the carb has been setup for the increased boost pressure?? or you will be having problems sooner than expected

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Well done for getting it back on the roads. I take it the carb has been setup for the increased boost pressure?? or you will be having problems sooner than expected
    yes mate carb was set up by ian nixon a bit ago it was so groggy at 12psi like it was overfuelling as soon as i put it back to 16psi it was spot on.

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

little update

taking car upto Ian Nixon on the 25th Sept for the following

fit new rear brake discs and pads
    port inlet and exhaust manifolds
    carb rebuilt with solex 32dis service kit (only one thing needs doing but going get the lot done as its done 110k cant do it any harm)
    Got tax it end of this month then M.O.T time next month fingers crossed it will pass or only fail on minor things.
    Ill be taking it off the road start/mid December for the winter and getting the bodywork sorted at a place called Turning Heads in Stoke On Trent.

then the plans everyone likes the most the engine well ill be looking to add a hybrid t25 running @ 20psi and a possible change of cam to compliment the bigger turbo, also going look into Ian Nixon doing me some proper headwork on the head i already have as its only a very basic porting job thats been done. If funds will allow am looking into getting a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in black as well and maybe a set of perspex windows apart from the windscreen

Post Thanks / Like

were is ian nixon nowadays?

i went to him many many years ago at eurocar when he had the twin engine jobbie but that place is long gone

does he still have his own place then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boysie View Post
    were is ian nixon nowadays?

i went to him many many years ago at eurocar when he had the twin engine jobbie but that place is long gone

does he still have his own place then?
    He works from home doing few 5's now, works at a local garage too so not full time on the 5's

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ah the good old europarts, he works at a local garage and does 5s from home (stoke on trent) as a side job

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    He works from home doing few 5's now, works at a local garage too so not full time on the 5's
    swine beat me to it

Post Thanks / Like

good to hear hes still about then

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

small update

iv now taxed my car for another 6 months
    got a carb service kit to freshen the carb up a bit
    new rear brake pads
    new horn compressor
    blue silicone turbo to water hoses
    o.e top rad hose

getting the above done and also the other bits i mention a few posts before this wkend.

on another note had a great day at the world series by renault at silverstone got a few pics as well was good to see a few 5 gtts there

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

had put my car being done back for a week as i need the car this wkend and ian couldnt do it last wkend. on another note i managed get a standard air box feed for really cheap off the bay so happy with that

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

stuck in a bit of a dilemma atm im considering 2 options turbo wise

either going get the t25/t2 with .63 rear rebuilt or am going get a t28 front and fit the t2 .63 rear to it what do you guys think ?

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

gave the yesmobile a much needed valet this afternoon before i take it up to ian nixon 2moz evening got a quick pic for you all, you can see my dad in the reflection off the back quarter

Committee Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i last nite decided to take the car off the road for winter so will not be taking for mot or having other bits done until jan/feb next year.