Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Xbox Vs Ps3

Yes the most talked about subject i bet, which is the better console...

Ok im not a gamer and spend most of my spare time in the garage in the cold or out and about. Thinking of treating myself to a console for xmas..

I feel id sway more to driving games and Forza 3 looks awsome but i beleave its only on the xbox and with the cheaper console price im tempted?? But which console has the best driving games? which is the better unit???

Fight away.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Xbox Vs Ps3

xbox 360 ftw mate

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Bye bye engine build, bye bye HKS series and hello beer gut

Post Thanks / Like

Ive always been a playstation fan plus the ps3 has grand turismo 5 looks sweet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Bye bye engine build, bye bye HKS series and hello beer gut
    Ye ye thats only half of what ive got to do with the New boxster S race series we in next year aswel with work... I hate spanners, besides my cage build is passed on over xmas

Im working on the beer gut and its more bye bye... we got 20kg at least to shift .....

Post Thanks / Like

Its got to be the xbox mate. The most and cheapest games, hugely supported by Microsoft, better (IMO) gamepads and possibly the demise of Sony making consoles after the cheapy revamp they have just launched in attempt to once and for all make a profit from it. The playstation is still a great piece of kit, but why would you spend an extra £100 for it?

Post Thanks / Like

So with the xbox what console do you chaps have, the arcade or elite? does the newer console have issues with overheating still????

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    So with the xbox what console do you chaps have, the arcade or elite? does the newer console have issues with overheating still????

i had my 360 for 2 years before i sold it with no trouble.

bought a new one for fm3 and this new jasper board fried after a months light playing.

got it replaced from the shop though so all good.

Post Thanks / Like

Microsoft have 'apparently' sorted the overheating issues and i think are now offering 3 years guarantee. As for the version, it depends on what your budget is?

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

ps3's the better machine, can do so much other sh1t with it other than just playing games..

thats why i bought an xbox elite... the more stuff i was told the ps3 could do, the less i wanted it.

Post Thanks / Like

i own both and i spend 90% of my time on the 360, if you plan to stay offline and play on your own then get a ps3, but if you like multiplayer games then go for the 360

ps3 is a better overall machine but the 360 gives you the better experience

Post Thanks / Like

Got a ps3 and x box, i spend alot of time on the xbox, for example i prefer fifa 10 on xbox and wwe raw/smackdown games.

Bonus on xbox bio shock, and assasins creed etc.

They both cover varied genres of games, if you like jap games like me the ps3 is worth while, also for the blu ray.

i still like smacking out the wii for the retro games etc and some new ones

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    i own both and i spend 90% of my time on the 360, if you plan to stay offline and play on your own then get a ps3, but if you like multiplayer games then go for the 360

ps3 is a better overall machine but the 360 gives you the better experience
    I agree with this total... if your just playing solo then ps3... but if you want online game which its all about for me the ps3. Iv owned both and sold the ps3 soon after

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

think ur both right but the ps3 is free on line so i actually sold my 360 an just use the ps3 now

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly determines which is 'better'?

If its the processing power of the console the yanks would say PS3
    http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/11/...pedo-passwords

Post Thanks / Like

X-box all day long for me! Most of my mates have x-boxes so it made more sense to get one for on-line games with mates e.t.c.

I belive you can just plug the ps3 in an go straight on-line were as with the x-box you have to get x-box live gold membership about £35 if I'm correct.

As for reliability my x-box is a year old and it's had a fair bit of hammer with no problems, however my brother had two arcade ones and both have broke so he bit the bullet and got an elite. Supposed to be more reliable with a **** load more GB although why you need so much I'm not sure.

Mind you I live on fifa 10 and pretty much don't bother with anything else.

R5GTTURBORAIDER If anybody wants a whipping at fifa!

(just set myself up for a fall there)

:edit: An scoff! yes my belly is rather larger than the last time you saw me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTphil View Post
    Supposed to be more reliable with a **** load more GB although why you need so much I'm not sure.
    As well as all the music you can put on it, having the big storage alllows you to 'install' games onto the hard drive, making the Xbox access the CD drive less, cutting down on the noise ! And speeding up response time

Post Thanks / Like

As of next year Sony are bringing in a subscription service for PSN while keeping a free service which will no doubt be second rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Technically the PS3 should bash the 360, but it doesnt due to ease of coding and third party support. TBH graphically i cant tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Technically the PS3 should bash the 360, but it doesnt due to ease of coding and third party support. TBH graphically i cant tell the difference.
    I agree, I think the only games that could be compared say graphically are those specifically for that platform i.e GT5 and Forza 3 but still they both look awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob i had the same idea! I cant be bothered spending every night in a cold garage so got myself a 360!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got both and find myself playing on the 360 for games and using the PS3 as a media/blu-ray player.

The PS3 makes a good all-rounder, but if you want the best 'games' console, the 360 (imo) is definitely the one to have... plus, with the release of Zune/Last.FM/Facebook/Sky Television, it's now even branching out into other areas.

Something to bare in mind for the future aswell....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    What exactly determines which is 'better'?

If its the processing power of the console the yanks would say PS3
    http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/11/...pedo-passwords
    I've never really understood the whole "power" argument, as the PS3 only puts out a few games in actual true HD.

The 360 on the other hand gives the next generation of HD gaming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    I've never really understood the whole "power" argument, as the PS3 only puts out a few games in actual true HD.

The 360 on the other hand gives the next generation of HD gaming.
    The 'power' is with reference to the processing power and the hardware inside the console although this obviously hasn't transitioned into a better or more popular games platform.

I find the last comment quite funny considering the 360 never even had a hdmi port to begin with.

They both will be around for years to come yet, was only the other day there were saying on the radio this will be one of the longest generations of the current hardware which makes sense considering the amount of time and ridiculous investment in Sonys case.

Post Thanks / Like

The 'power' is with reference to the processing power and the hardware inside the console although this obviously hasn't transitioned into a better or more popular games platform.
    Yeah, just never understood the point of mentioning it when it actually has a negative impact on the console. It's like PS peeps just like quoting how many processors it's got to prove a point that doesn't exist.

I find the last comment quite funny considering the 360 never even had a hdmi port to begin with.
    The component HD AV cable could put out at 1080p though.

They both will be around for years to come yet, was only the other day there were saying on the radio this will be one of the longest generations of the current hardware which makes sense considering the amount of time and ridiculous investment in Sonys case.
    Yeah, I recall them talking about this on Radio One. I think Project Natal and the almost certain release of the Xbox 520 will be a noticeable jump for Xbox gamers.

Here's another good reason to get a 360:

Forza 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post

The component HD AV cable could put out at 1080p though.
    The first ones had the hardware but it wasn't possible until a software (dashboard) update and even after that it is still only analogue supposed to digital.
    I'm not sure how accurate it is but i've also read that although tv's report to be in 1080p mode with the av cable it is infact a de-interlaced 1080i signal as there isn't enough bandwidth which kind of makes sense.

Anyway none of the above really matters that car is ace, does it drive as good as it looks?

Post Thanks / Like

The first ones had the hardware but it wasn't possible until a software (dashboard) update and even after that it is still only analogue supposed to digital.
    I'm not sure how accurate it is but i've also read that although tv's report to be in 1080p mode with the av cable it is infact a de-interlaced 1080i signal as there isn't enough bandwidth which kind of makes sense.
    Yeah, this does ring a few bells regarding the 1080i signal... tbh, what the true output is remains a bit of grey area to me. MS quote "true HD" using the av cable and I can't say I noticed any difference in picture quality when changing to HDMI.

Anyway none of the above really matters that car is ace, does it drive as good as it looks?
    Thanks mate..... it only took me around 8 hours to make the 'S' and the rest of the design.

I love this car. It's 95% of the time the quickest of the grid and it handles pretty good aswell.

The current set up is:

Clio V6 engine transplant
    HKS Big single turbo
    Uprated...... EVERYTHING.
    635 BHP with 280/25R 18's on the rear to help get the power down.

She's a beast...... just had to put "Faster Than A Speeding Bullet" on the back.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I dont actually have an xbox or this game but how have you got that car then?
    Do you create it within the game?

Admittedly I am looking into getting a 360 as I want Halo:3/ODST/ upcoming Reach and Halo wars none of which I doubt they will release on pc....but if you can do stuff like that on Forza 3 well

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I dont actually have an xbox or this game but how have you got that car then?
    Do you create it within the game?
    There's 400 cars from 50 manufacturers... each car can be totally customised and tuned. You just go to the manufacturer, select the car you want and pay for it with credits you've earned from either your storefront (your own shop) or from the races you've won.

Making the design is a whole different kettle of fish.... you have to start it from scratch, but it doesn't take much to style your car - paint, wheels, body kits etc....

Here's my other gem:

Admittedly I am looking into getting a 360 as I want Halo:3/ODST/ upcoming Reach and Halo wars none of which I doubt they will release on pc....but if you can do stuff like that on Forza 3 well
    If you're into your car games, you won't find anything better out there at the moment.

I used to be a big Halo fan, but the third game never really cut the mustard for me. It's all about the Call Of Duty games now.... but that doesn't mean I'm not looking to Halo Reach.

Post Thanks / Like

the xbox is cheap because u have to pay for online monthly , its free on ps3 plus its a blue ray player do so much more .

u played need for speed shift ??? thats a good game

also gt5 is out in march.

u can get a duff xbox cheap , take it bowlers new hard drive and also get it ***** for free games for for £100

Post Thanks / Like

It's only £40 per year for the Gold Xbox service, and imo, it's well worth it. The Xbox Live servers are tip top and maintained by Microsoft. The PS3 servers are contracted out to third parties, hence the reason they crashed when Modern Warfare 2 was released. I think you pay for what you get.

I never got into Need For Speed Shift... I found the narrator irritating and when it came to the driving, I felt detached as you can't fully turn off the driver aids.

Also, I wouldn't recommend chipping a 360 if you're using it online..... MS will ban your ass for eternity.

Post Thanks / Like

PSN will have a subscription service soon as per one of my previous posts.

Post Thanks / Like

PSN will have a subscription service soon as per one of my previous posts.
    What is it with Sony.... it's like they just look to MS for ideas and then copy when their crap can't keep up.

Oh well, I shouldn't be complaining as I benefit either way...

Post Thanks / Like

I think Sony are providing it but either way if it's paid for it should be up to scratch....
    also they will be keeping their free online service, just how that is going to work I dont know as it will surely ultimately lead to the free service being second rate.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling that the PSN will remain pretty much the same for the freebie users, with additional content to download for premium users.

Post Thanks / Like

ffs i'm now actively looking to buy a 360 right now even though I have half a dozen pc games to start let alone complete!

Post Thanks / Like

PMSL ..... well, be prepared to have no life once you get a wiff of all the must have games on the 360...... still, it's great for sh!tty weekends like this.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW.... if you do get a 360, keep your eyes peeled for the latest 360 which has the Jasper chipset. It runs a lot cooler and quiter.... there's also a massive reduced risk of the red ring of death apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

even if the 360 is as unreliable as death i would happily go out and buy another WHEN mine packs up

i love the call of duty games and the 360 controller suits the game better and overall is better than the ps3 controller, the ps3 anolgue controllers are pants and dont offer the accurate control i like due to the fact that the anologue sticks are positioned very poorly

i keep hearing people go on and on about the ps3 being free online, but i dont mind paying for a better service which is xbox live, theres been times on the original cod4 where i couldnt get myself into a game, formula one is lag city on the ps3 aswell, gran turismo prologue is shocking online

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm with you on the controllers, but kinda put that one down to personal taste.... although, you know when the controllers are sh!te when sony release slip on triggers for R2 and L2 to stop your fingers slipping off.... also when Infinity Ward change the buttons around for the PS3 on COD4 - using R1 and L1 for the primary buttons and the crappy, make-shift triggers for grenades.

IMO, you can't beat the 360 controller... the positioning of the analogue sticks is perfect. I think the only thing they could better is the D-pad. I prefer the PS3 controllers D-pad.

Post Thanks / Like

spot on about the depad bud, i like the ps3 pad for games like tekken and pro evo, i cant play fighting games or footy games with the xbox controller lol

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

why doesn't it surprise me that 99.9% of rtoc members choose the machine thats guaranteed to break.. my brother thinks us lot suffer from dumbass logic

Post Thanks / Like

i had to send my ps3 off cause it wouldnt read the discs

i was out of warranty by about a week but they still sorted it for free, not bad

but the ps3 is reliable compared to the 360

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    spot on about the depad bud, i like the ps3 pad for games like tekken and pro evo, i cant play fighting games or footy games with the xbox controller lol
    Me too mate. I'm tempted to get the Madcatz Street Fighter 4 arcade-style joystick for beatem-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post
    why doesn't it surprise me that 99.9% of rtoc members choose the machine thats guaranteed to break.. my brother thinks us lot suffer from dumbass logic
    You could say it's like choosing a Renault 5 GT Turbo over a reliable Volvo 940 GL.

Post Thanks / Like

I always like the look of those arcade style joysticks but whenever I bought one I never really used it and went back to the joypad.

Had one of these on the PSX

and still got two of these boxed

Post Thanks / Like

Oow, noice Tiff.

I'd like to play some of the more basic platform games on the arcade joystick, aswell. Shadow Complex on Xbox Live Arcade is a must!

Whatever happened to the Dreamcast.... I had one... was a good console.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I know what happened to mine its under the bed lol for me the arcade sticks on consoles although good quality just wasn't as good as a full jamma cabinet experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.... I suppose for the me it's the nostalgia. Looking forward to getting my hands of Project Natal... being the controller sounds pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of nostalgia I used to have a full size Daytona USA in my shed, you know the half car and massive rear projection screen! I just tried finding some pics but I must have been that bitter when I flogged it I deleted them....

I always wanted to do the MAME jamma cabinet setup as it was alot more feasible then buying jamma boards, fair enough if you're a collector but my god were they expensive I sold SF2 champion edition for a small fortune.

Incidentally this is still in my shed

but would prefer something more modern like this

or a SEGA Naomi cabinet

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh man.... arcade heaven!

Yeah, I would love to own a retro cabinet! I've got MAME on my laptop, plus a Amiga 500 Emulator, but to own a old skool machine to play them on would be sweet.

Since I was a kid, I've always dreamt of owning this:

Chase Hq Cockpit Arcade Machine.