Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

5gt vs 172?

Hi i was wondering as i know some of you guys have 172's how do they compare to a gt turbo ? ive never driven or been in one! but used to have a ph1 clio valver years ago ! that was ok but had to rev the pants of it to move i know as far as carisma is concerned the gt turbo wins hands down also i prefer the boxy shape but im wanting to turn my shell into a stripped out 150/160ish wknd/sunny/trackday toy! but ph1 172's can be picked up for not a lot of money and are probably a less rusty base to start from with a newer generation engine and electrics etc etc my heart says build a gt turbo but my head says clio

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5gt vs 172?

the clio 172 is really good, my mate can get good mpg out of it aswell, have to rev them hard and then they really are pretty quick! Allthough i did 'have him' in my 5 running 12/13psi

Post Thanks / Like

I've got both cars and they are really good

If there was a £/bhp contest, the GTT would win hands down.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other because Im wierd but I do fancy an F4R engined R5...best of both worlds

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a clio trophy as well as the 5 and have been pleasantly suprised at how similar they actually are but I suspect boosted 5 with upgraded suspension would give the T a hard time because of the power to weight ratios.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

i love my 5, i also love my old dears 182, rapid, handles, aircon, rain sensitive wipers, xenons, airbags bla bla bla..

the clios a worthy upgrade to a 5 and you get so much more... sadly the bit missing is the boost, but after 5k the clio pulls very well so its not all doom and gloom..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys so as I thought really the Clio is fun just a different sort! More new wave ! But I've had a think and I'm going to still build a 5gt as I've got the shell, and lots of bits anyway Plus it's what I really want still when the mrs put put ibiza finally dies I could get her a nice little Clio to drive just a 2.0 litre one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoolio View Post
    I've got a clio trophy as well as the 5 and have been pleasantly suprised at how similar they actually are but I suspect boosted 5 with upgraded suspension would give the T a hard time because of the power to weight ratios.
    I suspect the clio trophy would smash the gtt in the twistys though, my old williams would for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Now a turbo'd clio trophy, that would be fun.

At least it would be if I could get mine to hold more than 12psi on WOT

Post Thanks / Like

my last 5 was faster than my mates 182 and that was only at 16psi, done him off the lights no problems really. did get to drive that car and it was very nice and comfortable to drive and alot more reliable than the 5 being newer. got a williams now and def miss the turbo.... my 5 on coilovers def handled better than willys, all 5s r different though depending on how there set up. if i was goin4 a fun track car the 5 would be my choice. so much fun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    I suspect the clio trophy would smash the gtt in the twistys though, my old williams would for sure.
    When I suggested at the annual Trophy meet that the 5 was almost as quick and with a little bit of work could hold it's own I was almost lynched but yes you're right you would probably have to spend serious wedge on suspension, especially as the rear dampers begin to get old and people are fitting revalved Koni's to suplement the Sachs on the front.
    As to adding a Turbo, one of the most frustrating things about the engine is that it is so darn difficult to get any gains from it at all unless you spend a serious ammount of money and by then you a) loose some of it's distinctive character b) you still don't get much more from it and c) you may have well bought a different car to begin with.