Post Thanks / Like

tungy grey laquered?

Just wondering if tungsten grey is traditionally laquered.

Reason being im repainting the front and read bumper and ive purchased the 2k paint however this can be applied with or without laquer and i need to match whats on teh car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: tungy grey laquered?

gota be some paint boffins in here

Post Thanks / Like

I would of said yes. I bought some spray cans from Renault and they come with lacquer.

Post Thanks / Like

damn never painted laquer before so this may be a massive learning curve

Post Thanks / Like

i painted mine myself and i used laquer mate and mine was tungy.

had2 get shot of them nastys holes...

heres b4 during and after i done it myself on the trusty sofa i was chuckin

Last edited by Blick; 17-11-2009 at 12:42.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet man, did you use a small compressor ?

Im guessing you get the base coat 2k on , and then leave it 15 min to flash and shoot the laquer on straight over the top ?

also do you go with a dry coat first , and then build up in 15 min intervals like a base coat ?

Well nervous man lol, gota get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

nothin that flash mate!!! ha waited 4 a very hot day in the summer..... halfords cans fair few coats 15 minute wait then over with the laquer, 2b fair it turned out better that i thought. you should piss it with a compresser and a gun.

im not botherin with the hassel of doin anythin like that myself again now ive found a cheap sprayer... mate of a mate hes just done both full sides of my williams gettin rid of any dinks and sortin the rear arches 4 £200 cant be arsed 2 piss about 4 that sorta money these days..... she looks mint now. most bodyshops had quoted me 500 a side by me and he gets2 do it at work in his spare time. bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

hehe sweet man, yea cant complain at them kinda prices man

Post Thanks / Like

That 2k stuff you have is base coat, make sure you let it dry out properly otherwise it will look patchey, it should be touch dry before you go anywhere near it with lacquer. When you come to lacquer it put a thin/dry coat down first, the second coat you want to cover the whole panel with a shine, make sure you coat all the hard to reach bits back edges round the wheel arch etc. Let the second coat go right off then with your third and final coat is where you want to aim for a finish more paint on than before, dont go mad though because the diffrence between a ****-hot finish and runs is tiny.

Post Thanks / Like

really appreciate that advise man, the only thing is you say it must be dry before touching with lacquer.

is there anything stopping me let the paint cure completely , like over night ?

I think before i attack the bumper im going to find a pair of mirrors or somthing to shoot some lacquer at first to get a quick feel for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    really appreciate that advise man, the only thing is you say it must be dry before touching with lacquer.

is there anything stopping me let the paint cure completely , like over night ?

I think before i attack the bumper im going to find a pair of mirrors or somthing to shoot some lacquer at first to get a quick feel for it.
    dont let it dry overnight as you wont get the chemical bond and the lacquer will flake in time.

Post Thanks / Like

ah ok then , just make suer tiz touch dry sorted, im going to be painting outside in a gazebo with 4 sides, so gota see what the weathers saying, also want to get a filter/regulater on my line.

Post Thanks / Like

ah ok then , just make suer tiz touch dry sorted, im going to be painting outside in a gazebo with 4 sides, so gota see what the weathers saying, also want to get a filter/regulater on my line.
    Fliter a must also make sure you drain the compressor before you start painting. You are bettter off gettting a regulator for the gun because you will see a drop in pressure from one sat on the compressor. With the air screw wound right out set the gun to around 2 bar, most paints are designed to be painted around this pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

okies, any chance you would be able to post up a few products you would reccomend.

Im only using a small 25ltre compressor with a 2.5hp motor, and a £35 clarke spec spray gun (which so far has done the job)

Post Thanks / Like

For what your doing you may as well use machine mart for a regulator and filter, should be no more than a bulls eye. You would be better off with a second hand gun off ebay cheap gti's go for less than a quarter of what they cost new and believe me these guns are the creme de la creme, I have a new gti pro and its pony compared to the old gun.

Post Thanks / Like

would that be the devilbliss gti ?, i was going to but then i got confused with the millions of diffrent makes/models etc and it scared me off, also the needle size etc was a bit off putting on what size to go for.

I was looking at the machine mart ones but it worried me when they told me it also lubricates by dropping oil into teh air line..

:S lets remove that nasty water and drop some oil in there to really give you painting problems :P

Post Thanks / Like

would that be the devilbliss gti ?, i was going to but then i got confused with the millions of diffrent makes/models etc and it scared me off, also the needle size etc was a bit off putting on what size to go for.

I was looking at the machine mart ones but it worried me when they told me it also lubricates by dropping oil into teh air line..

:S lets remove that nasty water and drop some oil in there to really give you painting problems :P

Yes mate devilbiss gti, for clear coat, soild colours and base coat I personally would be going with a 1.4-1.5 no bigger. For primer in an ideal world you would want something a bit bigger 1.6-1.8, you can get away with using a smaller set-up though by adding liittle more thinners.

You want the air as clean and as dry as possible, body shops and the like will have a triple trap filter along side an air dryer. If your using an air fed mask the dryer is a must as breathing water vapour can be just as dangerous as inhaling paint vapour, water on the lungs not a good idea. Go with an organic filter type mask that dosent just stop the solids but removes the vapour as well, remember you are using a product that contains iso-cyanyde and xylene, chemicals so bad that they used to use them for chemical and gas bombs.

Just tell the penis behind the counter at your local machine mart that you want a filter suitable for spraying that does not add oil or have a nose through the internet, your bound to find some thing cheap that will do the job for a bit of d.i.y spraying.

Post Thanks / Like

sweet really appreciate the advice, yea i purchased a mask yesterday, full face hugger spec , also got vapour cartridges for it. I think ill take the plunge for a devilbiss gun however ill probably use my cheapo clarke 1.6 spec for high build, however i tend to thin it down a little anyway as at the moment im only using a baby compressor. (25l 2.5hp)

Cheers for your advise , im spraying up a modped possibly this weekend for a young lad, its currently silver and yellow however ive prepped it bac with red scotch , and will be high building it with white , 800 grit it back and throwing some orange 2k onto it, will see how that comes out

Post Thanks / Like

currently bidding on devilbiss gti 110 transtech spraygun 1.3 x 2

struggled to find any with 1.4's so i can modify it if needs be

Post Thanks / Like

I can sell you an SIP suction fed spray gun with a breather hose and i'm sure its a 1.4 or 1.6 mm nozzle on it for £30 inc tomorow mate? If you go on SIPs website there'll be a pic and spec on there, carn;t remember the item no. now though.

Post Thanks / Like

already purchased the devilbiss now bud, im going to use the gti for laying base coats and clear, and then use my cheapo clarke for high build jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, no worries mate, also got diffusers and oilers in stock if you need them bud good luck

Post Thanks / Like

already purchased the devilbiss now bud, im going to use the gti for laying base coats and clear, and then use my cheapo clarke for high build jobs.

Top quality guns. How much did you get it for in the end?

Post Thanks / Like

around £120 delivered, used but apparess mint, spare 1.3 tip and needle, also claims its being maintained etc, looks to be in good nick though, i watched a few and managed to win this one with my ebay sniper

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the GTI too, I think it's an old ish gun now but still very good. you can buy spares for them easilly still.

Post Thanks / Like

me also, although I have about 6/7 guns, one for primer, one for silvers alloy wheels etc, waterbased , upol spot repairs, solvent, Deltalyo/ gti guns for lacquering.

That gti will serve you well
    Last edited by wrightygtt; 22-11-2009 at 23:35.