Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Close but no cigar!!!!

SOOO close! R5T2 electrics sorted, starter replaced. - Filled her up and tried to start her but no joy.
    Fuel pump next to filter is buzzing but no fuel is getting beyond the filter to the injectors.
    Am I right in thinking there is more than one fuel pump?
    If so where are they and does anyone have any part numbers for odering them?

Cheers kieran

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Close but no cigar!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by r5t2 View Post
    SOOO close! R5T2 electrics sorted, starter replaced. - Filled her up and tried to start her but no joy.
    Fuel pump next to filter is buzzing but no fuel is getting beyond the filter to the injectors.
    Am I right in thinking there is more than one fuel pump?
    If so where are they and does anyone have any part numbers for odering them?

Cheers kieran

Not sure on the turbo 2 with ref to fuel pump but would assume only one pump is used. So you have no fuel through the fuel filter? is there fuel before the fuel filter? is fuel coming out of the pump? I would be working my from the fuel tank check for blockages or even corroded fuel pipes / breathers as it has been sat for over 11 years matey, might be best to renew it all.
    Sparkie would be the best person to ask having had a Turbo 2.

I would be so tempted to remove the fuel pump from it's postion for now and put a fuel pipe straight into the tank and hardwire the pump to a battery for a sec to make sure the pump is working.

If it is i would say fuel pipe blockage/ corroded from were stood for years and also check all the breather are clear
    Last edited by James5; 15-10-2009 at 12:44.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem is I only have a ****ty mouse eaten french workshop manual to work with, some knowledge goes a long way
    Engine was running less than 2 years ago, it had a new fuel pump at that point, the one you can access through the vents. No fuel through filter. I assume the pump is working as it is buzzing away, though may end up changing this again.
    Need to know if there is more than one, someone mentioned lifter pumps to me?
    This is all a steep learning curve with aid of mech. friend. Even some of this is new to him. I have a feeling there is 1 or 2 in fuel tanks themselves.

Fuel pump was replaced(the one which costs over a 100 quid) all injectors were replaced, new filters. What else am I missing? As I said, locations of bits and part numbers would be appreciated.

HEEEEEELP!

Post Thanks / Like

This maybe a really stupid question but is pump on the correct way around / wires the correct way??
    Last edited by James5; 15-10-2009 at 13:13.

Post Thanks / Like

just done a quick google search and found a manual not sure if any good

http://en.calameo.com/read/000022320667dac96763f

Post Thanks / Like

there are few different configurations of fuel pumps....

some have two lift pumps in the tanks, then a single pump outside the tank.

my old one had two 3 bar Bosch ones outside the tank, as well as the kjet pump.

i'll dig some info out for you.

have you messed about with the warm up regulator yet? - it adjusts the control pressure.

you need to run the test to see if the fuel is reaching the warm up reg, and is the flap on the metering head moving?

Post Thanks / Like

ill send you a cd of all the files and info i have on turbo 2's.
    the files are too big for this site. - i'll send em to your address listed on here.

btw - dont foget there are two fuel tanks, joined by a pipe. - each tank has one lift pump.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think mine has two lifter pumps going into a T-piece supplying a single bosch pump. Will know more tomorrow. My suspicion is that the commutators on the lifters have got corroded as I am aware that the plastic fuel tanks sweat, with no-where for the water to go, that isn't a good combo. I have noticed that these pumps are all run by the same relay, the final pump is "working" which means the others have current supplied to them but nothing is happening.
    The cd file would seriously be very much appreciated sparkie.
    Starting to get as excited as a child in a sweet shop!!!! Hopefully have all the info needed to start the bitch by this week.
    Metering head moves freely, I haven't yet looked at the warm up regulator, kind of assumed this was okay. FOOL! Guess what I am looking at next?
    Last edited by r5t2; 15-10-2009 at 23:20.

Post Thanks / Like

it has a bi-metallic strip in it, which is heated by an element. as it heats up, the pressure of the fuel going to the injectors is greater, allowing easier starting.

i drilled a hole in the very bottom cap of mine. sealed the hollow allen key with a little bit of sealant and adjusted my control pressure that way.... - which is why you need a fuel pressure gauge attached to the warm up regulator.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You're a mine of information aren't you sparkie! I shall have a look at a few of the suggestions I have first before modifying the regulator. As for the cd file, I am sure I can send you box of beer in thanks for the info. Cheers dude.

Post Thanks / Like

8110 has three fuel pumps
    yes three

one. pumps from one thank to the other
    two. pumps into a fuel cell
    third pump supplies the fuel injection with presurised fuel

funy enough the third fuel pump is used on most bosh systems from memory it the same as a porche 911 or 928