Post Thanks / Like

Remaps.

Ok had my car remapped. Was interesting learning bits and bobs. The software used is from Ecutek. Anyone dealt with that software?

Seems they downloaded a base map to my car then fine tuned it to work best with my modifications.

The car is a mitsi colt czt which is a 1.5 Petrol turbo.

they are 145 ish bhp as stock.
    My car has the following mods:-

K&N induction kit (bit pants really)
    FMIC
    Samco Hoses
    Side Exit Zaust

Im running 1 Bar of Boost although my gauge reads 13 psi.

The remap has given me 210bhp.

The guys at LINDEN Special Vehicles in Wellingborough assure me that with an uprated fuel pump (Walbro??) and a Boost Controller. Im due about 240bhp.

Im gunna have to strip the car out as it weighs 1120 kilos at the minute.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remaps.

There's quite a few tuned one's of these popping up now, they make decent power and suprise lot more expensive machinery. Apparentley some early evo engines dropp straight in too

I'm a big fan of them

Post Thanks / Like

good gains from few fairly smallish mods ,
    i never new the colt came in this version ,, nice

Post Thanks / Like

50% more power Not sure that's possible Kenobi .One of the figures is incorrect .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    50% more power Not sure that's possible Kenobi .One of the figures is incorrect .
    What you on about?

Post Thanks / Like

What boost do they run as standard??

Post Thanks / Like

Did they dyno before they remapped it ?
    65 BHP from a remap and a abit of breathing is a huge amount and an uprated fuel pump will give another 30 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    What boost do they run as standard??
    0.8bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Did they dyno before they remapped it ?
    65 BHP from a remap and a abit of breathing is a huge amount and an uprated fuel pump will give another 30 ?

My car ran 169bhp before remap.

Post Thanks / Like

So not running much extra ?
    Edit .... 169 bhp ....RIGHT -SO .......not 145bhp then Now it looks more reasonable
    I knew one of the figures didn't sound quite right

Post Thanks / Like

Kenobi, i see your only in Leicester. Not fancy bringing it Northallerton next week for the northern rolling road day??

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

So not running much extra ?
    Edit .... 169 bhp ....RIGHT -SO .......not 145bhp then Now it looks more reasonable
    I knew one of the figures didn't sound quite right
    Still, it made an extra 40bhp from just a re-map?

No increase in boost or other mods?

Either the original map was totaly ****e or theres a rabbit off somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

All i said was that they are 145bhp as standard. Which is true. I didnt ****ing say its was 145 before the remap did I?

Mine was 169 before remap and 210 after Fact. It ran 0.8 bar before and 1.0bar after.

Surely you know what stock means?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Try not to let people push your buttons so easilly Here's some math for you:

If they make 145hp (assuming thats flywheel hp) at 0.8bar, then it means that the standard engine makes about 80hp without boost. (80 x 1.8bar(abs.) = 145hp).

To make 169hp, taking into account you've improved its breathing ability somewhat, I'd say you need 15/16psi of boost to have done that.

210hp would take about 24psi by those rules, but that isn't taking into account the turbo's reduction in efficiency, or the intercooler's, etc. Maybe you have a bigger turbo in there, or just run a lot of boost, but you have to understand that to those with tuning knowledge it seems a bit far fetched. That isn't to say it isn't possible though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Try not to let people push your buttons so easilly Here's some math for you:

If they make 145hp (assuming thats flywheel hp) at 0.8bar, then it means that the standard engine makes about 80hp without boost. (80 x 1.8bar(abs.) = 145hp).

To make 169hp, taking into account you've improved its breathing ability somewhat, I'd say you need 15/16psi of boost to have done that.

210hp would take about 24psi by those rules, but that isn't taking into account the turbo's reduction in efficiency, or the intercooler's, etc. Maybe you have a bigger turbo in there, or just run a lot of boost, but you have to understand that to those with tuning knowledge it seems a bit far fetched. That isn't to say it isn't possible though.
    Obviously its possible coz thats what happened. Did you see my list of mods?

Theres a guy with a boost controller on our forum whos had his mapped to 249bhp.

This is all fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not fact ,it's tuner speak .
    Your mods equate to about 15 or 20 bhp over std on a good day and with a following wind.The remap will have taken out the safety margin built in to the std setup .
    Without a lot more boost and fueling to suit those sort of gains are just not possible .

Post Thanks / Like

Kenobi mate, just remember rollers can be manipulated to show a good result. In my honest opinion take it with a pinch of salt mate, just cause it comes up on the screen doesn't mean it certainly is.

I know you wanted to go to pod to see what your's go like, lets go up there put some times in and we'll see what the terminals are, that should give an indication.

As i aid to you earlier mate, as l;ong as you like it thats cool but be warry of the old fashioned 'tuner bs'.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post
    Obviously its possible coz thats what happened. Did you see my list of mods?

Theres a guy with a boost controller on our forum whos had his mapped to 249bhp.

This is all fact.

You should know me better than to start a reply to me with the word "obviously". You've a long way to go before you can patronize me.

In the politest possible way, how do you know any of this is fact ? Can personally guarantee the results from the rolling road ? Could you also quantify my 414hp printout for my old C1J that came from a state of the art, brand new dyno dynamics RR operated by a proffesional race preperation center ? You can't, because its erroneous BS, but that's what happens sometimes on rolling roads. Ofcourse, the operator will disagree, they all do.

If you read my post again without getting wound up you'll see that none of it was to try and un-settle you, or in any way disagree with your claims (which, by the way I think are perfectly plausable!), it was to help you understand why people were sceptical. Lighten up

Post Thanks / Like

couldn't you get a vast improvement if the standard map had a really really crappy ignition map?

or shall i go sit back in the corner

Post Thanks / Like

200hp from 1bar boost from a 16V 1.5L engine doesn't sound too far out of the way per-se.

if you look here:
    http://www.ecutek.com/products/proec...hcan/colt_czt/

the standard engine only makes 0.5bar at the peak power rpm of 6K

I have the standard engine making 156ftlb at 3500rpm, ECUTEK show that at .75bar.

What would be really helpful is the boost curves for all those power curves.

To me the bit that looks really suspicious is the massive hike in torque at 2500rpm, but then I suppose it's 'only' a case of getting the turbo to spool 300rpm sooner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    You should know me better than to start a reply to me with the word "obviously". You've a long way to go before you can patronize me.

In the politest possible way, how do you know any of this is fact ? Can personally guarantee the results from the rolling road ? Could you also quantify my 414hp printout for my old C1J that came from a state of the art, brand new dyno dynamics RR operated by a proffesional race preperation center ? You can't, because its erroneous BS, but that's what happens sometimes on rolling roads. Ofcourse, the operator will disagree, they all do.

If you read my post again without getting wound up you'll see that none of it was to try and un-settle you, or in any way disagree with your claims (which, by the way I think are perfectly plausable!), it was to help you understand why people were sceptical. Lighten up
    I made the mistake of quoting your post then and replying to others. Patronising i am not (yoda voice)

The reason the power is possible, in my none big word using explaination, is that the car runs ridiculously stupidly rich as standard. Once the map is sorted out we see a strong and happy engine loving it.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cztoc.co.uk/Forums/index....topic=2042&hl=

Thats a link to the guys thread that has 245bhp. the only mods hes got over me is uprated fuel pump and pressure regulator.

I do appreciate all ya helps and advice I just hate naysayers.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to be a member to view it mate.

Just rock up to motorscope on sunday and throw down the gauntlet.

Whats the worst that can happen? a bit of piss taking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
    You need to be a member to view it mate.

Just rock up to motorscope on sunday and throw down the gauntlet.

Whats the worst that can happen? a bit of piss taking?

Membership is free on www.cztoc.com

They dont charge to make anal comments on ya threads over there.

Post Thanks / Like

No one is making anal comments , just voicing opinions and advice .
    It's a subject that has been done to death and will never go away .
    If you are going to grow your business in this market then my advice would be that you take on board some of this, or you could just target the Max Power market which I would think is the more profitable .
    In my experience there is 90% bull**** ,5% dangerous and 2% real knowledge out there

Post Thanks / Like

No one is making anal comments , just voicing opinions and advice .
    It's a subject that has been done to death and will never go away .
    If you are going to grow your business in this market then my advice would be that you take on board some of this, or you could just target the Max Power market which I would think is the more profitable .
    In my experience there is 90% bull**** ,5% dangerous and 2% real knowledge out there

Yawn, growing my business in none of your concern. All advice i read, whether i agree with it or not is taken on board. What possible advice can you give me about something that has already happened?

My car is mapped. I like it. Its going back for more. If it blows up it blows up.

Rolling roads may not be reliable or a true reflection of road conditions but i have always used 2 or 3 RRs to gauge the actual true figure produced by a RR.

Max power sucks in my opinion. Are you claiming to be in the 2% of people on this forum that knows what they are talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenobi View Post

Rolling roads may not be reliable or a true reflection of road conditions but i have always used 2 or 3 RRs to gauge the actual true figure produced by a RR.

Mate you know me i will tell you something when i think its not right to you, look what you just wrote.

If as you say rolling roads are not reliable then how can using 2 -3 of them give you a true figure of what your car is producing, all of them can be well out.

I'm not saying your car is mate. as i've said to you if your happy thats what counts, but always take results with a pinch of salt and never as gosbal.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope ,I don't make any claims .
    I have heard and been swayed by an awful lot of bollocks in the past but have learnt from it .
    You're right ,your business is none of my concern .

Post Thanks / Like

Nope ,I don't make any claims .
    I have heard and been swayed by an awful lot of bollocks in the past but have learnt from it .
    You're right ,your business is none of my concern .

Ive always felt I had a good source of info and advice through the mates ive made through RTOC.

I'm only ever a phonecall away from the knowledge i need. Thats why i think RTOC on the whole is a great tool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Mate you know me i will tell you something when i think its not right to you, look what you just wrote.

If as you say rolling roads are not reliable then how can using 2 -3 of them give you a true figure of what your car is producing, all of them can be well out.

I'm not saying your car is mate. as i've said to you if your happy thats what counts, but always take results with a pinch of salt and never as gosbal.

What I meant is that i can take a figure and use that as a baseline. ie if we have a stock czt and a modified czt then we rolling road them. Even if it said one had 1million BHP and the other had 1.5million BHP we could see whether a modification has been positive or negative. if i have a RR readout from a company before a remap. then have a RR by the same company afterwards we can see the gain.