Post Thanks / Like

4x4 gt turbo

has anyone considered a scenic rx4/kangoo trekka gearbox/rear axle etc?

is it an option for a AWD GT?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4x4 gt turbo

Its been mentioned/briefly before and discussed many years ago.

The thing is it will take a lot of time and money to still have a Renault drivetrain which may not take the power thats put through it, I've heard of pencil thin rear driveshafts.....

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

.......when you consider that the drive will be through 4 driveshafts....then I suppose they don't have to be massive.......

Post Thanks / Like

I',ve had a look at a RX4 Rear Beam recently and it weighs a freakin ton. Couldn't say if it's the same on the Trekka?

Post Thanks / Like

For the time/money/effort it's not worth it.
    If your gunna go through all that you might aswell put a vag 20v turbo lump and quattro running gear.
    There was some1 with a White ph1 Clio with evo engine and running gear in.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stu21t View Post
    For the time/money/effort it's not worth it.
    If your gunna go through all that you might aswell put a vag 20v turbo lump and quattro running gear.
    There was some1 with a White ph1 Clio with evo engine and running gear in.
    Wasn't that the one which had the crappest body kit ever seen?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to try and have the VAG 1.8T engine with the G60 running gear fitted into a 5! I dont think it would take much more than what Scoff put into Grier's old 5 apart from the centre turret being created and the rear set up off the G60's being installed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hebden View Post
    I'd love to try and have the VAG 1.8T engine with the G60 running gear fitted into a 5! I dont think it would take much more than what Scoff put into Grier's old 5 apart from the centre turret being created and the rear set up off the G60's being installed
    so quite a lot more then

Post Thanks / Like

depends how you look at it. Scoff had to battle with making the jig and now that can he rented out its just the turret and the rear mounting that gunna be a "bit " tricky!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. Or just get a G60.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Hmmm. Or just get a G60.
    Then it would be a 4x4 5 GT Turbo ! I'm not saying it would be worth all the work BUT its possible..........................

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

First post!

Its syncro or Rallye transmission that you want from the VW's. G60 was only Fwd

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at a project like this with the attitude of, too much effort/money/time then of course it's not worth it but, if you just want to do something different and have something unique, then it may well be worth the time/money/effort.

Things to consider from the outset are what you want to get out of it (other than being unique) as far as how it will drive. The AWD system used by VAG in their transverse engine installations are not full time 4x4 systems.

Subaru WRX have full time 4x4 but the Trans Eng VAG installs only send drive to the rear wheels when the fronts lose grip. The Haldex system used in later versions has improved things a lot but the same basic system remains.

I would 'guess' the RX4/Trekka system would be the same principle as the Trans eng VAG part time 4x4 system?

Post Thanks / Like

I know of one in progress but dont want to say

Post Thanks / Like

And on the cost side of things, whatever you think it will cost. Double it, add a few grand for extras then times it by 3 and your 1/2way there lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big-G View Post
    First post!

Its syncro or Rallye transmission that you want from the VW's. G60 was only Fwd
    Quite. And despite knowing this, I couldn't be bothered to type it out to clarify (the point being that it's the G60 engine in the Rallye), because the whole discussion is pointless.

Would love to have a crack in a good example of a Golf Rallye.

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite. And despite knowing this, I couldn't be bothered to type it out to clarify (the point being that it's the G60 engine in the Rallye), because the whole discussion is pointless.

Would love to have a crack in a good example of a Golf Rallye.
    discussion is good.......pointless comments are ....pointless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt5 View Post
    discussion is good.......pointless comments are ....pointless.
    Discussion can be inane if it's baseless talk for talk's sake.

I'm interested in discussion regarding a credible Renault 4x4 GTT, i.e. not with a Golf Rallye drivetrain and a VAG engine. Otherwise, why not make a GTT based on the Tyrell P34?

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMc06JDoRFk jonny vegas's 4x4 subaru powered golf...

Post Thanks / Like

Feck me, I just watched all the Chop Shop endings as I've not seen them before. Funnier than watching Michael McIntyre, especially the celebritys' reactions -- trying desperately not to look utterly horrified.

Dallaglio's Ford Crapi was the only one of any merit whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like

Otherwise, why not make a GTT based on the Tyrell P34?
    FTW!!!!!!!!!! How would you (if you thought it was feasable and worth the effort) go about creating a single engined 4WD Renault 5 GT Turbo Trev?

Post Thanks / Like

Feck me, I just watched all the Chop Shop endings as I've not seen them before. Funnier than watching Michael McIntyre, especially the celebritys' reactions -- trying desperately not to look utterly horrified.

So true! The 'gangster car' looks horrendous. If I saw that driving down the street, the last thing that would pop into my head would be 'gangster'.

Post Thanks / Like

FTW!!!!!!!!!! How would you (if you thought it was feasable and worth the effort) go about creating a single engined 4WD Renault 5 GT Turbo Trev?
    I wouldn't Chris, as I have neither the money, skill, knowledge or desire. However, if I were to somehow overcome all four of these restrictive elements, I would at least wish for the result to be all-Renault.

Hence why I've been a bit disparaging about VW Rallye drivetrains hooked up to VAG engines, covered in a thin film of Renault 5. Though I concede that anything is possible, and it would be vaguely interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't Chris, as I have neither the money, skill, knowledge or desire. However, if I were to somehow overcome all four of these restrictive elements, I would at least wish for the result to be all-Renault.
    AMEN to that!!!! The Rallye set-up was the only 4WD drive system i could think of that would work. Was/is there a 4WD Renault system out there?

Post Thanks / Like

AMEN to that!!!! The Rallye set-up was the only 4WD drive system i could think of that would work. Was/is there a 4WD Renault system out there?
    yes, quadra, scenic rx4 and kangoo trekka

was purely a thought, but could be quite cool given the time/money/knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    yes, quadra, scenic rx4 and kangoo trekka

was purely a thought, but could be quite cool given the time/money/knowledge
    "The 2001 Kangoo range has quad-valve 1.6 and 1.2-litre petrol motors (the latter replacing the 1.4), a 1.2-litre LPG version with a new gas injection system on the 1.2 engine ; a 1.9 common-rail turbodiesel is due later in the year for both the 4x2 and 4x4 models."

Hmm, looks like it bolts to the F7(same sort of engine as the clio 16v's) maybe??

Post Thanks / Like

"The 2001 Kangoo range has quad-valve 1.6 and 1.2-litre petrol motors (the latter replacing the 1.4), a 1.2-litre LPG version with a new gas injection system on the 1.2 engine ; a 1.9 common-rail turbodiesel is due later in the year for both the 4x2 and 4x4 models."

Hmm, looks like it bolts to the F7(same sort of engine as the clio 16v's) maybe??
    thats what made me think.... so should run a sorto of JB style gearbox... but i couldn't find any pics on the tinterweb... so i dont know what sort of transfer box setup it uses

Post Thanks / Like

it's not a simple setup, it's mainly fwd and it only engages the rear wheels when there's slip on the front wheels, even then it's %60 fwd.

there's a whole bunch of wiring, sensors and a dedicated ecu involved in the setup, whether it can cope with a powerful c1j engine is another question.

I remember talking about this with Jon Metz years ago, I should have some detailed pics and diagrams somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i l k e r View Post
    it's not a simple setup, it's mainly fwd and it only engages the rear wheels when there's slip on the front wheels, even then it's %60 fwd.

there's a whole bunch of wiring, sensors and a dedicated ecu involved in the setup, whether it can cope with a powerful c1j engine is another question.

I remember talking about this with Jon Metz years ago, I should have some detailed pics and diagrams somewhere.
    there must be some sortof transfer box system there though..

Post Thanks / Like

sod it, go rwd. much more fun

Post Thanks / Like

i agree, BUT! i think jonny vegas's golf car would have been an excellent car if they had kept the golf looking like a err Golf!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    i agree, BUT! i think jonny vegas's golf car would have been an excellent car if they had kept the golf looking like a err Golf!
    Hey mate. Got that Taxi going yet

Yeah, I could only comment on the styling because that's all I was able to see from the pictures. These cars might have been mechanical perfection for all we're able to tell. Unlikley in three weeks however