Post Thanks / Like

1/4mile leader

Just looking at the 1/4 mile leader board and Gianni Santi is down as running slick tyres......I thought to run in Kings of Europe the tyres had to be road legal

http://www.kingofeurope.net/2009/drag/rules.html

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1/4mile leader

Not sure danny, but gianni himself (well, one of the guys with him - gianni's english was not so great) told me they were drag slicks. No idea what type though.. assume then that they must be a DOT marked drag tyre, so will be a soft compound, soft wall drag tyre with minimum tread pattern. M/T and M&H both offer them, hoosier too maybe.

If anyone knows any better then I will update the entry.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told he was running Mickey Thomson street ET'shttp://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreet

what would his car run on full drag slicks

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Well yeah, exactly what I thought they might be, they're slicks in my book. you really could not use them on the road, although they are marked as such, for the sake of competition regulation. Full slicks will not have been that much better, but he may have gone a little quicker in the 330'.

There really should be more definition in the tyres column but I rushed it a bit when I wrote it. Any of the other "road" specified lot are using R888 etc, which I'd still class as a road tyre.

Post Thanks / Like

A few of my mates use ET's and the side walls are reinforced, unlike a full slick, but your right about using them on the road they wouldn't last 5 mins soft compound.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

they have some sidewall I'm told, I was thinking about their inability to turn corners at speed, not so much the compound. but to be fair, I havn't tried them. If they are not too bad on the road then I might buy some, or maybe try the SG R888 next time round.

Post Thanks / Like

ive been looking at tyres , i quite fancy trying these
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...dial/1161.html

any you guys any knowledge of these tyres ?
    also is there any uk suppliers of these tyres or other road legal drag tyres ,find it hard to find any myself.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

problem is, the american drag radials are not often E marked.

Post Thanks / Like

yep gianni was on radials... not much in them to full drags (Hence why hey call them cheaters just aids him in the feild and passes rules) so he wouldnt gain a huge amount, but i aint a clue on his torque curves or ratio and so on to what size tyre would work anyway to his tune... Only thing that he doesnt have is the tall wall as he runs 15s, so yes a 13" rim on drag at same roll would gain... Walls can help win 60fts...

Post Thanks / Like

why dont people just run down the pod on their street tyres, and i mean street, not even r888, normal road compound tyres...

there should be a column on the 1/4 table for if the car is road legal/usable too, eg. seats, lights, panels, bumpers etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    why dont people just run down the pod on their street tyres, and i mean street, not even r888, normal road compound tyres...

there should be a column on the 1/4 table for if the car is road legal/usable too, eg. seats, lights, panels, bumpers etc
    Because you would prob go slower than on an actual road.. IMO road tyres just dont work well on the strip. You could add a column just to state if the car has an MOT, alot of street classes (even the uks fastest FWD car) all carry MOTS and must have functional lights, wipers, windows, etc etc and cant be lighter than 1089kg (or depending on what you enter) so they aint mega light either..

The weight vs CC is something i hate very much as it restricts lighter smaller engined cars entering a series and making them add balus.. Eg, how would want to add 200kg weight in there GT turbo and go race agaisnt Joe bloggs in his similer weighted 2L turbo ....

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Because you would prob go slower than on an actual road.. IMO road tyres just dont work well on the strip.

I set my personal best on T1-R's, tried my R888's didn't do any better

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    I set my personal best on T1-R's, tried my R888's didn't do any better
    They don't, they're awfull, no idea why people insist on using them. road tyres as a rule don't work well with the glue on the track, you often get less grip than you would have on normal tarmac.

Post Thanks / Like

Gianni was on Hoosier Drag radials(wheel spinnng way passed the 60ft ),

I think he would go at least 2-3 tenths faster on slicks. His 60fts were 2.0-2.1