Post Thanks / Like

Raised bonnets

Has any1 raised the rear of their bonnet but kept the latch working?
    I wanna let some hot air out of my engine bay but don't really wanna vent it.
    I was thinkin of putting bonnet pins on the upper rear corners of the bonnet where the height adjuster springs are
    but wanna keep the lock/catch
    any1 done this before?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Raised bonnets

What I did on mine was put a bracket which can be bolted onto the latch when I want the bonnet raised. Just made from 2 pieces of angle iron with a U shape welded onto one of them, with holes drilled through the centre. Just bolt it onto the original latch when I want it raised. Didn't want to leave my car with the bonnet up so any body can just pull the bonnet up and break it easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry m8 I might b being slow but I can't picture it in my head.
    Have u got any pics?

I'm thinkin I might do the pins and put some silicone sleeves round the to get them to the height I want, no catch
    then if I park some and leave the car for a bit(never happens) the I take the sleeves off and shut the bonnet properly leaving the pins stickin out.
    There's not really anything to nick from under my bonnet and I've got plastic windows, they just fold back if any1 wants in.

Plus it's not like I go shopping in it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Cant say its the best drawing , but hopefully you get the idea

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Miscellane...et%20Latch.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Still don't get it lol
    maybe when I look at the car tonight I'll understand lol

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry cant do 3d images easily in paint

Basically two bolts go through the angle iron and through the original loop. Another loop which I welded onto the angle iron now acts as the new loop for the catch.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it now. Now I've stopped drivin and can read the whole thread and look at the pics, makes sense now.
    Cheers
    is it strong enough like that?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive driven a few hundred miles with no problems. where the bonnet rubbers are I just put additional ones with black tack on the bonnet, to stop it swaying side to side. Think its 3mm steel I used for the angle iron, a good weld holding the bar through the metal to secure it in place. Its tough enough just with the loop put through the metal but welded it just to make sure it stays in place. Plus with two bolts holding the metals together against the original loop plus drilled the holes in right place so there is no movement in whatever direction, I see no problem with it, plus you can lengthen the loop to whatever height you are after then cut to fit. Other thing if you do make it is that the new loop is bigger than the original one eg goes on the outside of both sides so it latches better. Got the bar and the angle iron from B&Q think it came to about a tenner but could make another 5 of them with the amount left over should have sold them on