Post Thanks / Like

ktr26

has any1 seen redline this month?just after thoughts of the r26r article!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ktr26

14.4 @ 103.5mph isn't much to rave about.

I also doubt anyone could pick up a decent R26 + pay out for all the (k-tec) parts for £13k. And if you could, why not then stump up the extra £4/5k for a 26r & be done with it.

Can't wait to see their 400hp project...

26r is still king.

Post Thanks / Like

i was thinking mayb just get the engine mods on the r26r!!that way its light but with the power it deserves!!!!that way u could afford to carry a radio!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

will be buying that mag as i see it in the shop earlier.
    p.s ures looks the shizzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    14.4 @ 103.5mph isn't much to rave about.

I also doubt anyone could pick up a decent R26 + pay out for all the (k-tec) parts for £13k. And if you could, why not then stump up the extra £4/5k for a 26r & be done with it.

Can't wait to see their 400hp project...

26r is still king.
    There is a black r26 a few hundred yards from my front door for sale...the woman cant afford to pay for it so shes selling it at only 8k...its done 14k with full renault service history.

I want to buy the bitch but I can't

I can get the number if people are genuinely interested

Post Thanks / Like

wish mine was black or grey sometimes its a bitch to keep clean!!!but its the only one my garage could get me!!still love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    There is a black r26 a few hundred yards from my front door for sale...the woman cant afford to pay for it so shes selling it at only 8k...its done 14k with full renault service history.

8k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!shes mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've read the article, i see Roland (GT Tuning) has made an apperence in the mini too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike r5 gtt View Post
    8k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!shes mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm trying to convince my dad to buy it for me as a wedding present...but he's said he would rather give us that money for our next house

I want one and for that money/mileage/condition, nothing has come close anywhere!

Post Thanks / Like

There's always one

Ok, but that's a one-off case in that she can't afford to pay off the car, hence flogging it for a silly price/quick sale. The majority of decent R26's are in the 5 figure bracket, so as I say there's no way you could buy a good condition R26 + pay out for all those mod's/parts for £13k.

I can see why K-tec have carried out the modifications & why it was featured thus so in Redline, but it would've made more sense (to me anyway) to modify a 26r, as you've already got a great base to be working from, then see how that performs at the 'ring or wherever.

I'm pretty sure that with the right mod's (and obviously a good driver) the 26r could be a sub-8 minute 'Ring car, which, to be frank, would be absolutely astonishing.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

ahh, but, k-tec are a business, so it makes better business sence to offer parts for and modify the more common r26. it's about making money, not making fast cars

Post Thanks / Like

ktec said on the megane forum they got it very cheap in the first place. I dont see how they have done all those mods for the money, would make the car in the 1st place very very cheap???

heres mine

Post Thanks / Like

Is this another dispute about K-tec not being a particularly smart company selling to not particularly smart customers?...

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    ahh, but, k-tec are a business, so it makes better business sence to offer parts for and modify the more common r26. it's about making money, not making fast cars
    Exactly, its purely targeting the largest possible market... Hence why they are so friendly with Cliosport etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Exactly mate, hence my "I can see why K-tec have carried out the modifications & why it was featured thus so in Redline" comment...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that with the right mod's (and obviously a good driver) the 26r could be a sub-8 minute 'Ring car, which, to be frank, would be absolutely astonishing.
    That would be tough Mart. It's already an astonishing time @ 8.17 in professional hands. And the chassis/suspension is fairly optimised in standard trim. If I had an R26R (and I'm dangerously tempted) I'd be keeping it largely standard, maybe with a cheeky map to tweek the power a touch but nothing much to up-set the awesome balance Renault Sport has achieved.

Forget the Ktec tweeked thing. I wouldn't be interested in the slightest. Mildly tuned R26R all the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough, but possible mate. There's still a good bit of weight to come out that car, and a basic re-map/boost increase should yield high 200's hp.

I reckon you could run a sub-8 lap in one...

Post Thanks / Like

im thinkig straight thro exhaust, intercooler and re-map!!!then mby a turbo or cams when someone make nice ones!!!or when iv got any cash left!!

Post Thanks / Like

Tough, but possible mate. There's still a good bit of weight to come out that car, and a basic re-map/boost increase should yield high 200's hp.

Mart you are forgeting one thing - it has a manual gearbox Al may struggle with all 3 pedals :P lol

Sure the R26r could handle another 50bhp and would really finish the car to be a track beastie :P

Must get a drive of one to see what all the fuss is about

DG

Post Thanks / Like

That's assuming that there's sufficient overhead in the turbo, it's one thing wringing the neck of the turbo for a dyno/drag pull, it's another when you're on a long straight/autobahn.

I'll bet the standard map is pretty good in the maximum attack sites, Joe Soap can easily crack a bit more fuel in at 70mph in 5th to make it feel more responive, but it won't be any faster (coz you're going to be in 3rd at 70), and it'll just use more fuel.

It all depends upon whether Renault built the engine to be a 230hp engine, and optimised for that, or did the Jap trick of building a 350hp engine and winding it back to 280hp (for example). I think it's the former.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    If I had an R26R (and I'm dangerously tempted)
    You still thinking of joining TK's exclusive club?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    That's assuming that there's sufficient overhead in the turbo, it's one thing wringing the neck of the turbo for a dyno/drag pull, it's another when you're on a long straight/autobahn.

I'll bet the standard map is pretty good in the maximum attack sites, Joe Soap can easily crack a bit more fuel in at 70mph in 5th to make it feel more responive, but it won't be any faster (coz you're going to be in 3rd at 70), and it'll just use more fuel.

It all depends upon whether Renault built the engine to be a 230hp engine, and optimised for that, or did the Jap trick of building a 350hp engine and winding it back to 280hp (for example). I think it's the former.
    By basic remap, I meant by simply adding a bit more fuel/less ignition for the increase in boost there'd be. Most factory fitted turbos have at least half a bar boost overhead before worrying about wheel over-spin.

Note that I also said high 200's hp, which is only 40/50hp more than o.e. Most modern day engines/chassis should be able to cope with that increase in power.

Post Thanks / Like

By basic remap, I meant by simply adding a bit more fuel/less ignition for the increase in boost there'd be. Most factory fitted turbos have at least half a bar boost overhead before worrying about wheel over-spin.

Note that I also said high 200's hp, which is only 40/50hp more than o.e. Most modern day engines/chassis should be able to cope with that increase in power.
    if they've sized it right it won't have that 40-50hp spare, it's not an Evo.

Post Thanks / Like

The tried and tested setup atm seems to be...

Basic stage 1 map to be good for 250/260 bhp

stage 2 map will see 270ish (if you chuck a few mods on abit more power)

stage 2 map with better intercooler, decat, exhuast, panel filter and bigger injectors will take you upto 290bhp/352ft/lb but you will then be on the limits of clutch/turbo

Post Thanks / Like

if they've sized it right it won't have that 40-50hp spare, it's not an Evo.
    I'm struggling to think of any other car where its o.e turbo is correctly sized/no more power is available with a wee boost increase. Would Renault have been that conservative with the turbo?

James, any idea what boost levels those different 'stages' () are at?

You say 290/350 is on the limits of the clutch/turbo, but what about the diff? Has anyone popped one of them yet running the higher power?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm struggling to think of any other car where its o.e turbo is correctly sized/no more power is available with a wee boost increase. Would Renault have been that conservative with the turbo?

James, any idea what boost levels those different 'stages' () are at?

You say 290/350 is on the limits of the clutch/turbo, but what about the diff? Has anyone popped one of them yet running the higher power?
    No mart, as far as im aware noone has had any problems running that power and herd of no broken diffs/driveshafts etc.

There is also talk of people going further with power on a hybrid turbo and reckon they can do it on a standard engine/box.

from rstuning/ktec stage 1 boost is 16/17psi
    rstuning's stage 2 map is a custom map on there rollers and should take it to 21psi

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers James, good info

Are any diy mapping boxes/software available yet?

RS Tuning guy is quite popular on the Evo scene, but I'm always sceptical when I hear about tuning companies custom mapping per given mod's.

I know the o.e Evo brain is now hackable/flashable, so it's possible RS Tuning does custom map in that respect, but I wasn't aware that was the case with the Renault ecu, hence the diy question.

Post Thanks / Like

yer everyone seems to recomend rstuning, hes done afew r26's/225's etc and spent along time on the stage 1 map which you can buy a sperate 'box' and load the stage 1 map on and off as you wish (flashing). But the stage 2 is a custom map setup on rollers, then also depending on mods itl be mapped according to your mods.

K-tec use rstuning's stage 1 map that they sell

Also there is other tunning companys, just search ebay and google for example that do maps. Ive spoke to a few people who have got it mapped elsewhere and are very happy. but there is also some people on the forum who dis other maps and say there not as good? Red dot racing in enfield london. For £250 are offering a custome map to take a standard megane to 272bhp and 275 tourque, looks quiete tempting to me because of the price is a good £350 cheaper than rstuning, but im no expert on weather its a good map or not....
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-MEGANE...d=p3286.c0.m14

There is also fastchips, who sell a map via email that can be loaded onto your car via a tunning box, which is another cheaper alternative at 189 uro's

http://www.fastchip.nl/Programming-E...uct-flyer.html

Post Thanks / Like

What mapping gear/software does RS Tuning use?

I'm not really interested in 'off the shelf' maps, and would rather be able to pull the maps from the ecu, tweak as required, then re-write.

Post Thanks / Like

What mapping gear/software does RS Tuning use?

I'm not really interested in 'off the shelf' maps, and would rather be able to pull the maps from the ecu, tweak as required, then re-write.
    sorry mate i cant answer that one

Post Thanks / Like

If you happen to find out, let me know please

Post Thanks / Like

I think Andrew is close here. Ever considered why Renault didn't turn the boost up for the R26R when it's direct competitor Ford went past 300bhp to raise the bar in the fwd hot hatch sector? They concentrated instead on chassis weight and handling to find the performance. And they were right to do so. An R26R is comfortably quicker than the Ford round most UK tracks.

Like Andrew, I'd suggest their R&D dept found weakness in the engine at higher boost levels (over the long term and considering 3 year warranties) and they didn't want the expense of either re-developing the engine to cope or deal with warranty issues.

With that in mind and as I posted earlier, I'd only consider a very mild re-map.

Hey Duncan. I haven't completely lost the use of my left foot! The 335i has some strange pedal on the left and a big stick on the tunnel! My stealer thought I was mad, telling me only 3% of 335i's are ordered with a manual box. He asked me if I'd made a mistake and ticked the wrong box!!

Post Thanks / Like

Has she advertised it anywhere, i.e. somewhere with pics?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Andrew is close here. Ever considered why Renault didn't turn the boost up for the R26R when it's direct competitor Ford went past 300bhp to raise the bar in the fwd hot hatch sector? They concentrated instead on chassis weight and handling to find the performance. And they were right to do so. An R26R is comfortably quicker than the Ford round most UK tracks.

Like Andrew, I'd suggest their R&D dept found weakness in the engine at higher boost levels (over the long term and considering 3 year warranties) and they didn't want the expense of either re-developing the engine to cope or deal with warranty issues.

With that in mind and as I posted earlier, I'd only consider a very mild re-map.

Hey Duncan. I haven't completely lost the use of my left foot! The 335i has some strange pedal on the left and a big stick on the tunnel! My stealer thought I was mad, telling me only 3% of 335i's are ordered with a manual box. He asked me if I'd made a mistake and ticked the wrong box!!
    Bit of pointless info... the focus is also 2.5, and still cant beat the megane round the track. ford

Post Thanks / Like

Why doesnt she just bang it up on autotrader for 11k? it would sell straight away considering one of those with that mileage and ren histroy would be more like 12.5/13

Post Thanks / Like

Ever considered why Renault didn't turn the boost up for the R26R...
    Yeah, because it was an end-of-line model, hence why would Renault plump any more money into the engine? I don't recall it being any different whatsoever as to what you'd find in the R26 F1/230 model.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, because it was an end-of-line model, hence why would Renault plump any more money into the engine? I don't recall it being any different whatsoever as to what you'd find in the R26 F1/230 model.
    Exactly my point Mart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gttjames View Post
    Bit of pointless info... the focus is also 2.5, and still cant beat the megane round the track. ford
    Why is it pointless info? You've basically just reiterated my point.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly my point Mart.

You're now contradicting your previous post, you geeza

Post Thanks / Like

You're now contradicting your previous post, you geeza
    How? I said Renault were not prepared to spunk $$$$ on the engine.........exactly what you said.....unless I'm missing something..............which I could be after the bottle of red I just finished off.