South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

in case i forget

when dropping the engine still mounted on the subframe, can people please remind me what to detach , i know of some things just wonderd what things other people have detached when doing this or not as im putting a new servo and master cylinder in the cup on saturday and im going about it this way...ta people, jesus...

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: in case i forget

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    when dropping the engine still mounted on the subframe, can people please remind me what to detach , i know of some things just wonderd what things other people have detached when doing this or not as im putting a new servo and master cylinder in the cup on saturday and im going about it this way...ta people, jesus...
    Jesus, you should know as the son of god you don't need to take the whole engine out to do a master cyclinder and servo, just take off the inlet manifold, there's plenty of room once thats out the way

Post Thanks / Like

what he said ^^^ lol

but for love of god dont forget yr brake lines

or yr gear linkage, ive ruind 3 now were i kept forgeting ooops

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could get the "M" to do it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave r5 View Post
    or yr gear linkage, ive ruind 3 now were i kept forgeting ooops
    I 'might' have done this a few weeks ago myself

Post Thanks / Like

steering uj is always a good one to disconnect if you are dropping the rear of the subframe

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez...lift the engine out...or whip the inlet off...you know how to make hard work of it dont ya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Jeez...lift the engine out...or whip the inlet off...you know how to make hard work of it dont ya
    inlet manifold off etc , this works then does it?......, well that will save loads of time, err what do i need to watch out for?......, how on earth do you get enough room to pull the long thread out the peddle...., i reckon i have the right idea myself you buggers...
    Last edited by jesus in the seat of a 5; 18-09-2009 at 17:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, if you've got a crane just pull the engine out and leave the box in, easiest way of doing it. You don't need to disconect the suspension, driveshafts and get gearbox oil everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    Matt, if you've got a crane just pull the engine out and leave the box in, easiest way of doing it. You don't need to disconect the suspension, driveshafts and get gearbox oil everywhere.
    cheers buddy , ya dont think leaving the ole girl on the subframe method is better then?, how you move the box off in situ?, is it easy to wriggle off?, like the idea of nor stinking of box oil.......

Post Thanks / Like

If you take the crank pulley off it'll give you enough room to wriggle the input shaft out. You may need to take the bolts out for the front box mount just to push it over a bit, but it's the quickest way i've ever taken an engine out and put back in before.

You're best taking the turbo off just so it's a little easier to get to the gearbox bolts and especially the long one that goes through the block at the back.

Just make sure you've got the engine level if you're doing it like this otherwise it'll refuse to come off or go back onto the input shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers buddy , a nice graphic detailed description , just what ole jeez needs..., that may just be the way, think i might print that out...,in case like...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm debating a similar thing at the mo for this poorly GTA ...Out the top or drop the subframe with box and lump ?
    Turns out the subframe has not been out recently so I've got lots of rusty bolts and ****e along with gear linkages upper arms and the like to undo .
    The turbo and other stuff will need to come off to swap over anyway so I'm leaning towards out the top .
    Main pain is aligning the engine to the box when putting it back in also .Different Ren same ****

Post Thanks / Like

brake lines
    choke cable
    thottle cable
    top hose
    bottem hose
    king lead
    tdc lead
    speedo cable
    boost hoses
    all vacum piping
    gear linkage
    fuel lines
    clutch cable
    sub frame to body drop links
    4x bolts on top mounts
    over boost wires(if you have them)
    track rod ends (maybe)

i think thats all you need to undo/remove

Post Thanks / Like

removing the drivers side driveshaft gives enough room to change the servo & m/c.

Post Thanks / Like

inlet manifold off etc , this works then does it?......, well that will save loads of time, err what do i need to watch out for?......, how on earth do you get enough room to pull the long thread out the peddle...., i reckon i have the right idea myself you buggers...
    Once you've got the inlet off, undo the the master cyclinder from the servo leaving the brake lines attached and carefully bend them just enough to withdraw the master cyclinder, now go inside the car and undo the 4 nuts that hold the servo, then look on the peddle arm, there's a split pin that connects the arm to the servo, take this out but keep hold of it, the servo should now come out with no probs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Once you've got the inlet off, undo the the master cyclinder from the servo leaving the brake lines attached and carefully bend them just enough to withdraw the master cyclinder, now go inside the car and undo the 4 nuts that hold the servo, then look on the peddle arm, there's a split pin that connects the arm to the servo, take this out but keep hold of it, the servo should now come out with no probs
    jesus loves you all , done it just that way...all new now in the cup...right carb next, will upload photos when i get 5 mins...., quite a nice job as they go on the ole 5`s...., thanks everyone!!!..jeebus...

Post Thanks / Like

jesus loves you all , done it just that way...all new now in the cup...right carb next, will upload photos when i get 5 mins...., quite a nice job as they go on the ole 5`s...., thanks everyone!!!..jeebus...

It went ok then Jesus? how much of your holy blood and skin was removed in the process?