Post Thanks / Like

Does this look iffy to you.?

im currently on the look for a car to use as my own taxi

im looking into possibly buying a Bmw e60 5 series from a 55 plate onwards.

ive just noticed THIS ADVERT on autotrader and to me it doesnt seem right!

first off, in the ad the seller says he "cant answer the phone for the moment"
    and secondly the price he has advertised it for! its CHEAP! very cheap for a 2006 5 series with only 54,000 miles on the clock

ive just sent him an email to see what the deal is.

so does it look dodgy to you?

its bloody hard trying to find a 5 series that meets my criteria

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does this look iffy to you.?

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    im currently on the look for a car to use as my own taxi

im looking into possibly buying a Bmw e60 5 series from a 55 plate onwards.

ive just noticed THIS ADVERT on autotrader and to me it doesnt seem right!

first off, in the ad the seller says he "cant answer the phone for the moment"
    and secondly the price he has advertised it for! its CHEAP! very cheap for a 2006 5 series with only 54,000 miles on the clock

ive just sent him an email to see what the deal is.

so does it look dodgy to you?

its bloody hard trying to find a 5 series that meets my criteria
    defiantly the wrong price, oh and is that your postcode on show

Post Thanks / Like

That's far too cheap for an E60! Let alone one with all the sport bits. Something definitely isn't right there.. Probably missed a 0 off (although then it would be pretty overpriced)

Post Thanks / Like

Errr yes, lol. You tried phoning the number though?

Post Thanks / Like

i thought it was me being an idiot but yes something just doesnt add up there!

i havent tried the phone number yet as ive only just sent an email with a fair few questions of concern, ill wait for a reply..if i get one and take it from there.

ANYWAYS...

do we have any car hunting wizards here? just after some help sourcing a 55> 520d/525d m sport with a max of 60,000 miles and around the 11/12k mark.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be suprised how many scammers are on car sales sites. My mum was after a car a few months back and when I noticed the advert she was looking at was uber dodgy I told her to stear clear. She emailed the website owners and it turned out everything about the car and contact details were phony.

Post Thanks / Like

Raj, ile look out some service costs and general maintenance.. and parts cost etc... as the old man has one of those.

Its not cheap, wether thats park lanes prices or bmw in general... taxi material is ? VW or a slightly older AUDI hmmm ile have a look

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    You'd be suprised how many scammers are on car sales sites. My mum was after a car a few months back and when I noticed the advert she was looking at was uber dodgy I told her to stear clear. She emailed the website owners and it turned out everything about the car and contact details were phony.

like this you mean
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-shoppers.html

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i was going to buy, but went for the smaller 320d m sport, great car for a taxi imo.

that is the wrong price more like 13-15k

phil

Post Thanks / Like

He could be genuine and has missed a 1 off the front of those prices or perhaps the 3 should be an 8?

If i was interested i would still call and say your get the AA or someone to do an independent check then if he gets all sheepish i would run a mile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    thats what i was going to buy, but went for the smaller 320d m sport, great car for a taxi imo.

that is the wrong price more like 13-15k

phil
    ive also been looking at these 3 series but to me they seem just a little small. its still another option

Post Thanks / Like

heres 2 more that look iffy -

this one

that one

i find it strage that someone advertises there car but is "unable" to answer phone calls" are these sellers born without ears and fingers

Post Thanks / Like

agree, the 5 series is a better car for a taxi. I like the silver or dolphin grey with the 19" 172 spider alloys

phil

Post Thanks / Like

just had the email reply back from the above 2 links..... its obviously a scam

here are the 2 replies, both almost identical from supposedly different sellers

Hello!

Thank you for your interest in my 2006 BMW 525d Diesel Sport. First let me say that the car is available and the total price for it is GBP 5.000 (shipping and all fees included).

This car has never had paintwork and needs nothing. One of the best all around driving cars you can buy. If you have been waiting on a real clean enthusiast owned BMW, you have found it.
    Probably the cleanest vehicle for sale anywhere. The interior is very clean and the body of the car is in perfect condition, no dents, dings, cracks or scratches anywhere. The engine runs very smooth and strong without any mechanical issues. The transmission is also in perfect condition running without any issues.

A Totally Rust, Corrosion Free Vehicle. Never been in any accidents. HPI Clear, still registered in the UK.

I purchased the vehicle from England and used it while I worked there. Now because of the financial crisis I moved back to my home country, Spain. I brought the vehicle in Spain with me, but as the crisis is getting worse I can't afford to keep it anymore. Probably you are wondering why I am selling it for such a low price. The market price for right handed vehicles very low ( no one will buy one ) in Spain and having a lower price than the UK market will bring me a buyer faster than having a high one.

I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the financial part of this deal will be managed by a company that has offices in both UK and Spain and in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards

and the other..

Hello there,

I am glad to hear that you are interested to buy my 2006 BMW 5 Series 525D M Sport!
    Although I am registered in the UK,i recently moved to Cadiz, Spain (where my family is from) and the car is being shipped from here. I want to sell it in UK due to the fact that it's an UK version (right handed),it meets all UK standards.I bought this car from UK and It still has UK registration, so you won't have to pay any import and insurance fees.The car meets all United Kingdom guidelines so there will be no problem regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car.The car is in perfect condition, the bodywork is immaculate,no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition , never been implied in any accident and it is as advertised .The car comes with log book, HPI cleared, No finance. You will get from me the keys and all documents to register the car in you name.If the car is not how i described it, i will offer a full refund. It will be insured during transportation and will be delivered at your address in maximum 10 days.Final price is GBP 6,000 (the price includes shipping and insurance fees).The price is low because the car is right hand drive in a country where all cars are left hand drive so in the Spain is very difficult to drive this type of vehicle and nobody wants to buy it here in Spain.Instead of keeping it in garage (during this economical crisis), I decided to sell it to someone back in the UK for a really attractive price.

I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate,the deal will be manage by a third party and in this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction.
    Let me know if you need any further details or if you would like to buy my 2006 BMW 5 Series 525D M Sport.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a bit off topic but I had this recently with when I was going to buy a dog as the person said they lived locally but in the end she said she was based in Ireland due to work and took the puppy who was only 8 weeks at the time with her

The person said the puppy was KC registered and she had all the history of the parents etc of the puppy and so on but she would send me the dog and as soon as I heard this I cut all contact with her as its a scam to get money at the bottom line

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r5 rich View Post
    I know this is a bit off topic but I had this recently with when I was going to buy a dog as the person said they lived locally but in the end she said she was based in Ireland due to work and took the puppy who was only 8 weeks at the time with her

The person said the puppy was KC registered and she had all the history of the parents etc of the puppy and so on but she would send me the dog and as soon as I heard this I cut all contact with her as its a scam to get money at the bottom line
    t t
    Rich no doubt you were dealing with a puppy farm if it was in Ireland? there are loads of them over there.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These scams are everywhere, car's, horse, pets, TV's, DVD's etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROB C2GTT View Post
    t t
    Rich no doubt you were dealing with a puppy farm if it was in Ireland? there are loads of them over there.
    The women said she was based in Chelmsford 20 mins from me, I wanted an address to come see all the puppies etc at her house to go through history of the parents and so on and then suddenly she has moved to Ireland for business and would only give me her mobile number.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Raj those emails look well dodgy! it the way he refers to the car each time in such detail ? Why cant he just say thanks for the interest in my car? Its as if its pre written email and he just ads the vehicle in question to the email before sending? I would steer well clear mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Raj, ile look out some service costs and general maintenance.. and parts cost etc... as the old man has one of those.

Its not cheap, wether thats park lanes prices or bmw in general... taxi material is ? VW or a slightly older AUDI hmmm ile have a look
    you followed this up mate?

Post Thanks / Like

still on the hunt for an e60.

question, if i buy a car off a private seller can i get finance i ask as im finding private sellers are cheaper compared to a dealer that advertises finance etc.

so is there anyway i can secure a sale with a private seller and also pay via finance agreement or is it not worth it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    still on the hunt for an e60.

question, if i buy a car off a private seller can i get finance i ask as im finding private sellers are cheaper compared to a dealer that advertises finance etc.

so is there anyway i can secure a sale with a private seller and also pay via finance agreement or is it not worth it
    Im pretty sure my bank run a motor loan policy which is just the same as finance isnt it?
    But its purely based upon purchasing a car new/private, worth a look into i think.

Post Thanks / Like

There are internet sites that have been set up to help people scam the scammers. There are some amazing stories of how some folk have been able to lead these b*stards up the garden path.

Here is one for example: http://www.419eater.com/

Anyway, the BMW's mentioned above, I'd ask for the UK registrations so that you could check them out for HPI and also make out like you're willing to travel to Spain to see the cars because at such a low price, a trip to Spain would be worth the money and effort. That way you could test drive the cars and pay in person, removing the costs of the 'intermediary'.

Good luck finding a legit one anyway mate

Post Thanks / Like

Completely shocking scams all over net, i was trying to buy a roland td10 or 12 a little while ago and almost all adds were scams, unreal.
    I would stay well clear