Post Thanks / Like

anyone know why clutch plate springs break?

mine broken after only a few thousand miles, and i had a similar prob with my mates one after a few hundred. both clutches had plenty of meat on

they were both green box valeo volvo ones

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone know why clutch plate springs break?

only time I have seen it....is down to heat..slipping clutch......

could be a faulty batch , or the clamping pressure is just too much, so, instead of "slipping" gently it's grabbing and causing the springs to "judder" instead of taking up the pressure evenly..

Post Thanks / Like

Your not the only one me and Big Dan C both have had this problerm! from valeo green volvo 480 clutches from GSF!

Post Thanks / Like

This was the downfall of my last clutch after only a few 1000 miles too

Post Thanks / Like

so now the valeo clutchs arnt up to much these days!

So whats the clutch choice these days?

Post Thanks / Like

This is weird because I got a valeo green box from gsf about 8 months ago for my 5 door project,

after 4 years of collayting parts and research, I finished the project. I fitted new clutch with the new engine and also recond box with the long aRm volvo conversion.

Unsure of miles covered but clutch been in use now from mid April till now.

******* thing is slipping when I run above 130bhp!!!!

At 10psi it runs 130bhp at fly and 145 torque at 4200rpm

since then have tinkered with actuators and now running 16psi but not had it rolled with extra boost yet but defo not near 180 etc!! Lol

Slips like a mofo at full as torque is applied. This sounds like a dodgy batch!!!??

One thing I Did notice is that the clutch when first ever used to get car out of the garage, when bite just about to move the car, it sounded like it was skuffing against flywheel.
    I just put it down to the fact that the fly was a 9 slotted and new....

Any thoughts anyone?? Am unsure whether to get another green box or not!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sly-sy View Post
    This is weird because I got a valeo green box from gsf about 8 months ago for my 5 door project,

after 4 years of collayting parts and research, I finished the project. I fitted new clutch with the new engine and also recond box with the long aRm volvo conversion.

Unsure of miles covered but clutch been in use now from mid April till now.

******* thing is slipping when I run above 130bhp!!!!

At 10psi it runs 130bhp at fly and 145 torque at 4200rpm

since then have tinkered with actuators and now running 16psi but not had it rolled with extra boost yet but defo not near 180 etc!! Lol

Slips like a mofo at full as torque is applied. This sounds like a dodgy batch!!!??

One thing I Did notice is that the clutch when first ever used to get car out of the garage, when bite just about to move the car, it sounded like it was skuffing against flywheel.
    I just put it down to the fact that the fly was a 9 slotted and new....

Any thoughts anyone?? Am unsure whether to get another green box or not!?
    Its more likely to be contamination of the friction faces or the pedal ratchet isnt adjusted/adjusting correctly. Check the cable tension at the clutch fork side. If its tight, then its disengaging the clutch slightly.

I would say a lot of clutch issues are down to the crappy pedal ratchet mechanism.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Its more likely to be contamination of the friction faces or the pedal ratchet isnt adjusted/adjusting correctly. Check the cable tension at the clutch fork side. If its tight, then its disengaging the clutch slightly.

I would say a lot of clutch issues are down to the crappy pedal ratchet mechanism.

i did wonder this, i'm sure its not the clutch rachet etc. i had a hell of a time trying to get it setup when i first put new cable in few months ago

the cable was tight at the fork release end so i took out the black pedal stopper, now the cable is free and the fork happily rattles slightly so there is no tension on the cluthc or cable - peddle sits abit high tho but i can handle that lol

looks like its oil contamination. anything to get rid of it or is it now fubar'd???