Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first Renault 5

You can buy a proper set of tools for releasing the connectors from the connector block, having used a similar set from Laser I can say they work well.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/lase...inal-tool-set/

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller1 View Post
    £10 They would be about £300 from RS !! I might buy a set just in case I ever need them!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that

£63, however, is cause to pause and think. Just need one or two of them for a one off use.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick with the watch screwdriver. Works a treat £5 out of b and mn

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had an email from vintage tyres .that's the original size 195x55x13 available. At £130 quid a corner I'll pass

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to source the main bush for gear linkage at gearbox end, load of play in the bush. Any help would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean the one that's up in the gearbox or the other end that joins the rod from the gear stick?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ian, I'm looking for the one at gear box end, but if you know where to get both that would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good solid project.

A bit late I know, but you can get those terminals from vehicle wiring products or polevolt. I think the miniumum order is £10, but that an be a mix of items.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate but got it all from rs components.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd upload a few pictures of my lovely Raider. Did someone say " loose wire" Damaged dash and leaking matrix are never a good combo

Name:  20180124_121100-747x1328.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  181.6 KB.

Hopefully the first and last time I need to remove a Renault 5 dash. I knew the wiring on my car was bad but WOW!!!! Someone went to town with connector block and a set of snips.

Name:  20180119_145926-1328x747.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  144.8 KB.

Heater box stripped in two , cleaned and put back together with new Rheostat. Thought it wise as the old one looked past it's best.

Name:  20180124_145014-747x1328.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  20180125_152835-747x1328.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  74.6 KB

Next job is to tackle the wiring...... wish me.lucka

Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell mate you gone and done it the hard way when you remove the dash all that wiring loom says in
    the dash 😬

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

No way I could leave the wiring in the dash. Someone had cut out all the connector blocks on drivers side and soldered all the wires together. Plus wires for toad imobillser run through everything. Decided to start from scratch and get it all right.

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably improve it a bit over what Renault supplied.

I had my dash and wiring out of the car and all over the lounge for a week or two while I removed the old immobiliser bodge and did it a lot better, fitting new relays for each circuit cut. There were a lot of wires from the left to right had drive conversion that ran all over the place.

One really big improvement is to stop all the big current going through the ignition key barrel switch. Instead, for th starter, I fitted a new relay near the front left headlight and then a new large red wire to that to carry the 30 Amps to the starter, the key then just operates the relay.

Did the same for the ignition ECU.

Car then started better than ever.

There is more detail in one of my articles.
    Likes Matt Cole liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally starting to put my car back together. Looking for advice on the horrible clunking when opening passenger door. Check strap ( car side ) hole is elongated. Got a right angled drill head and flexible drill lead but still can't get in close enough to drill square. Any ideas would be great cheers

Name:  20180412_153527-747x1328.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  114.2 KB

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the horrible clunk is caused mainly by dropped hinges/pins. I replaced mine last year and the doors really shut beautifully now (I should have done it years ago!) That check strap pin just knocks out from the top downwards from memory with a punch - no need to drill it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alex thanks for the advice. The door pins are solid with no movement at all. The clunk happens when the check strap pin moves due to the elongated hole. I will use a punch to remove it and see if I can fit a bigger pin to stop it moving when opening. Cheers

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally light at the end of the tunnel. The Raider is nearly finished. Last few bits to collect and fit. The only thing I can't get my hands on,is a gutter cap for rear passenger side. If anyone has one of these spare and willing to sell please message me. Thanks again for all the help over the last few months. Joining the sites been the best thing I have done

Post Thanks / Like

Must be a great feeling coming to the end. Time to enjoy now.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt, going for a carb tune up next week, then detailers and that's it. I'll post some pictures soon.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd upload some pictures since that's the car finished for now. It's been a hard slog but well worth it. Thanks to all that helped and gave advice. Special thanks to Dale aka Bigfoot, he was always a text away with loads of great advice. Hopefully at some point I'll build up the balls to drive it from Glasgow down to one of the meets. Thanks again

Name:  20180623_144512-2124x1195.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  225.4 KB

Name:  20180608_183345-1195x931.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  426.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20180609-WA0009-640x480.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  IMG-20180428-WA0057-640x480.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20180428-WA0059-640x480.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  IMG-20180428-WA0048-640x480.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  20180623_144452-2124x1195.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  20180608_173246-2124x1195.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  171.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

That looks awesome!! Well done for all the hard work. Enjoy!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, I am looking for some help. My Mot is due asap and my Speedo has given up the ghost. I have checked top and bottom cable of Speedo, connection at air can and gearbox end. The speedo wouldnt work but sometimes jumped into life if you tapped dash binnacle at dial. Before i strip out speedo dial does anyone have any tips. Also my temp gauge sits dead on the bottom for ages and then only comes into life after the car has been running for about 20 minutes and even then doesn't show right temp. Any help would be amazing. Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and my petrol gauge is stuck at the top even when you disconnect from cables. New sender and cables been fitted. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

The speedo cable is in two parts. Check the gearbox sensor. Remove, clean, check o ring and push fully home. You can do a resistance test on the sensor also. Ivory and remember the values. The other half of cable is from a joint behind the airbox if I remember correctly. Clean with contact spray. I would do a continuity test from the plug on the back of the gauges. Lastly, clean the connects on the back of the clocks. Electrical contact spray and a light rub with a little sandpaper over the contacts can work wonders.

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP!!!!! After the cracking summer the rain has finally returned. I foolishly left the car outside uncovered and the passenger side footwell is soaked. I traced the problem to the outer door window seal. I stripped the door cards off and the water is pouring in through seals like a fire hose. Does anyone know if any companies do replacement seals. I have checked the original partsnumber but as most Renault 5 parts ( no longer available). Any help would be great. Ps just renewed my membership ,this club has been invaluable over the last year. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Is the plastic sheet still in the door? This directed water that entered the door to the drain hole at the bottom instead of into the car. The actually door seals are available on eBay although will be pattern and sold off a roll. I'm not sure on the profile the gt uses but it wasnt anyrhing unusual.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt, I watched the water run down off the wiper motor and splash into door card. Original door sheets were missing I replaced with ones I cut. They wouldn't have made any difference as ran through speaker into door seal and flooded foot well. Any idea where to look on ebay

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt, thanks for the messages but it's the outer window seal on door I need not the actual door seals .I have replaced them with new ones. Thanks anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok sorry misinterpreted your question.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, looking for some advice again. As the car is off the road for the winter I am going to get a new clutch fitted and also get the gear box removed and inspected. I have two options. remove engine and get to clutch and gearbox that way or remove subframe and do it that way. My mate would be doing the removal and fitting of new clutch and rebuilt gearbox. the labour is about half to do via the subframe. I am just worried as I have been told lining things back up can be hard if done via subframe. Any help or suggestions would be great . Cheers Dougie

Post Thanks / Like

I have always removed from the subframe but if concerned make plenty of marks for refit if dropping subframe

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Grier View Post
    I have always removed from the subframe but if concerned make plenty of marks for refit if dropping subframe
    Thanks Duncan

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller1 View Post
    Thanks Duncan
    Hello everyone, does anyone have an idea where I could get new OUTER front door window seals. ( the seal that sits between door and glass as it slides up) any help with this would be great .Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

NLA new unfortunately. I managed to find a good used set a while back. I think that's the only option as it stands

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all and happy New year. I know it's a bit quiet on here now but hopefully some of you with have some advice. At my last mot garage recommended changing the front suspension and top mounts. I want to keep the car as standard as possible. When I do suspension I will be changing front and rear. Just looking for advice on best suspension and top mounts to use. Car is for road use only. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Did he mention why they needed changing? The top mounts are solid and shouldn't need changing unless they're rotten. There are some other components that might need changing/checking though, such as the bearings, rubber "donut" and top hat etc. It really depends what the fault is. If its for road use just replace whatever is needed with OE items.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers. I'm meeting him next week to discuss. He might have meant components in top suspension mounts. Standard suspension would be great but all I can seem to find it coilovers. Oem parts are hard to find. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

I got suspension donuts, bearings and some other bits from Mr Auto. Came from France I recall.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt , thanks for the help. I have managed to source the suspension parts buts looking for advice regarding springs.
    The suppliers have gave me 4 options and I have no idea what ones would have been originally used on my Raider the choices are
    1.mid green/grey
    2.mid red
    3.mid red/ yellow
    4 mid red/ grey.
    Any help as always will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Dougie

Post Thanks / Like

Doug, are all them colour codes available? I would check before you waste your time researching. Generally they will be obsolete.

However, mist people go for a "sports" spring with a 35mm drop and the torsion bar adjusted to suit. This works very well for the ph2 5gtt. Alternatively, coil overs if you want freedom of adjustment.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Matt for the quick reply. I was wanting to keep the car as original as possible and it's only for summer road use so decided against coilovers. I have seen various shortened springs but was hoping to keep the original ride height. Thanks again for the advice

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

As per Matt really. I dont know of anyone who has managed to get OE springs in the right length. Common thinking is that most springs supplied are longer, perhaps originally destined for a campus or similar. To be fair half the issue is no one actually knows how long the OE springs should be as they have all compressed over the years so there is no reference. Personally I've gone for slightly lowered as I wanted to fit brand new springs. If I was going 100% OE then I would be looking to get a good second hand set and having them powder coated.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the advice. Think the 35mm lowering springs are the way to go if I want brand new springs. Cheers for the help

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what this jumper is for on the back of the dash cluster. I just noticed my dash cluster doesn t have itName:  Screenshot_20190209-085202-576x454.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  52.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure actually?