Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving the header tank to the scuttle area on the drivers side ala Cup position

I'm giving my cooling system a bit of a refresh soon and I'm thinking about moving the header tank to the Cup position.

Question.....

Can I use the standard heater matrix/turbo/water pump hoses and just re-route them? (perhaps with a bit of choppy choppy!) Or do I need to buy some new staright coolant hose and joiners?

Do I move the header tank bracket to the scuttle area aswell or just the tank itself?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving the header tank to the scuttle area on the drivers side ala Cup position

You can use the original pipes mate just chop and re route mate can always use some alloy pipe if you want from the water pump over to the scuttle..

My header tank i just used the strap bolted to the scuttle

Easy job really and looks alot better

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving the header tank to the scuttle area on the drivers side ala Cup position

I moved mine to the other side of the bay without anything other than a stanley knife, screwdriver, few extra jubilee clips and one hose joiner IIRC.

Not sure about moving to behind the scuttle as regards hoses but I don't think you need a bracket for that either.

PM Brigsy, he did it on his Van IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachmen...9&d=1298401410

Can just about make out on there on mine

But from water pump to scuttle you could use straight pipes over

Post Thanks / Like

Marvellous, thanks chaps. Right where's that drill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Alex, I just noticed. In the thread title and the first line of your first post you mentioned the other side of the engine bay, then lower down in that same post you mention the scuttle. Which location are you going for?

I'd say the easier one in on the other side of the bay.

Here is a pic of one of my old GTT's. I turned the associated heater matrix hoses over so it ran the other side of the bay (and with a bit of tie-wrapping, it just fits, if not the best shape), chopped the small top hose down to the right size to fit straight on the swirl pot and then butchered the other hose to the water pump and joined it up (you can see the two jubilee clips in the pic). No bracket required, the header tank just sat there due to the position of the hoses.

Post Thanks / Like

Drivers side scuttle area Trev.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Good pictures them to go off. Same way i did mine

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I would ditch the swirlpot in the process of moving the headertank. It makes no difference to the performance of the cooling system.

Post Thanks / Like

All done

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

what make is your strut brace looks nice?

Post Thanks / Like

Devil

Post Thanks / Like

Top tip for cutting your hoses straight , put a jubilee clip on it then cut around the edge
    Thanks jay200bhp thanked for this post
    Dislikes jay200bhp disliked this post