Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I need a gearbox geek, plaese help if you are one

Here goes,
    I have just bought my second Renault 5 Turbo, Grey original 1989 Phase 2
    The gearbox is shot an I would like to know what the original gearbox should be, I know many will fit but I want to know the correct code mine should have or where I could find such information, Renault parts department maybe?
    I have tried to find the information on here and search engines but have struggled
    Thank you in advanced
    Matthew

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need a gearbox geek, plaese help if you are one

IIRC, the 5GTT only had one, maybe two boxes and they both maybe had the same ratios. The longest ratios Renault did for any 5 or Clio.

I expect this will become more of an issue as the original gearboxes wear and replacement parts are not available.

I seem to recall a thread maybe 10 years ago where we identified two tags, red and green, for theses boxes. I forget the details now.

I don't recall if I collected together the various bits of info scattered through the forums, or if anyone else did in the articles section: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/forumdisplay.php?17-Articles

Engine, gearbox, turbo: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/forumdisp...ox-amp-Turbo-s

I briefly looked and found this bit but probably not what you want or what I was just remembering: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...0-5GTT-Gearbox

Ph1 gearbox - JB3 014, Ph2 gearbox - JB3 032 (purported to be slightly different ratios). That's all there is from: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...TT-Ph1-and-Ph2

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's perfect thank you so much for the info, that's the £15 membership already paid for it's self, great community here so glad I joined
    Likes Alex liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah hah! That'll be the car my old deer spotted in rodbourne, she even took a pic for me bless her

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clarky_gtt View Post
    Ah hah! That'll be the car my old deer spotted in rodbourne, she even took a pic for me bless her
    Are you the guy I have been given a number for regarding parts :-) I have kept it and when I have more time shall be needing a few bits for sure, it's very original apart from wheels and exhaust, even standard air box, pipes and perc fan etc, can't wait to get her MOTed and driving :-)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G21TNA View Post
    Are you the guy I have been given a number for regarding parts :-) I have kept it and when I have more time shall be needing a few bits for sure, it's very original apart from wheels and exhaust, even standard air box, pipes and perc fan etc, can't wait to get her MOTed and driving :-)
    That's me

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clarky_gtt View Post
    That's me
    Ah sweet, nice one, are you fairly local too, your have to come and take a look if your about
    I will be needing wheels x3 including centre caps (might have some from a guy on here)
    Gearbox, if mine is original I will recon and keep, parcel shelf and front grill once mortgage approved!