Post Thanks / Like

my 5 is hunting

hiya people my 5 i picked up about a month ago has a unknown car on but i no it has been played with in the past didnt run for about 6 months is now up and running i have replaced the plugs leads dizzy arm and cap and runs fine just on idle it hunts from about 1100 to 1350 ish i have checked the manifold nuts the carb nuts hoses round the carn etc for leaks and cant find any my previous plugs were running black/ quite rich i have adjusted the mixture screw a bit and has helped do i keep adusting it? thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Re: my 5 is hunting

Quote Originally Posted by mightymanx View Post
    hiya people my 5 i picked up about a month ago has a unknown car on but i no it has been played with in the past didnt run for about 6 months is now up and running i have replaced the plugs leads dizzy arm and cap and runs fine just on idle it hunts from about 1100 to 1350 ish i have checked the manifold nuts the carb nuts hoses round the carn etc for leaks and cant find any my previous plugs were running black/ quite rich i have adjusted the mixture screw a bit and has helped do i keep adusting it? thanx
    Keep it and take the gun off it. Hunting solved.

My van did this it was brake related, but clean the carb too

Post Thanks / Like

i have gave the carb a good squirt of carb cleaner and looks pretty clean through the top of the carb lobster?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Has it got a dump valve? Mine did this and it was a split diaphragm. Or a leak somewhere on the vacuums lines

Post Thanks / Like

it does have a dump valve yer i could try replaceing that and ill check the vacum hoses again or wich bits of the carb do i need to clean

Post Thanks / Like

Get the dump valve off and get a carb service kit from the shop give the carb a good overall and measure the jets while its apart so you know how its setup

Post Thanks / Like

i always like a 5 gtt with a dump valve i have a spare ill try that lol ok ill get a carb service kit is this it?
    Service Kit for the 32DIS Carburettor

£35.50

Service kit from Webcon for your 5GTT, 9 turbo, 11 turbo, 18 turbo or Feugo turbo carburettor.

Containing all the relevant, diaphragms, gaskets, washers and the float valve, our kit is not only brought to you at very discounted price but also includes parts that no other kit does, namely:

the two throttle shaft green seals,
    the idle jet seal,
    the 52mm carb to carb top seal.

From other vendors the throttle seals and 52mm seal would cost over £8 inc post and no-one else is selling the idle jet seal which we sourced ourselves and is made from Nitrile sp is oil/petrol resistant.
    Remember we have a fully illustrated Article on Overhauling your carburettor.
    As well as an article on Functionality and upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like

That's it

Post Thanks / Like

ok the car also has a bleed valve and a in car boost could any of these be the problem has a weird pipeing set up ich ill get pics for

Post Thanks / Like

ok tryed replaceing the dump valve and bblocking off the bleed valve and in car boost and it still is hunty so i will get a carb refurb kit it has to be that i have uploaded a pic of the engine can people look at it and tell me if the carb vacuum hoses etc are rite? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/engine002.jpg/

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked that the inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold nuts are tightly tight

Sprayed a bit of carb cleaner around the carb to see if the note of the engine changes, indicating a leak.

Post Thanks / Like

i have checked all the manifold nuts turbo carb and all surrounding nuts was my 1st job also checked whole exhaust everything is tite is driving me nuts
    Last edited by mightymanx; 09-05-2013 at 01:11.

Post Thanks / Like

any 1 any other ideas could the idle screw need cleaning>?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you not noticed that your turbo actuator is piped up wrong and the bleed valve is funny I can see what they have done using the bleed valve as the max boost setting ditch the in car and just use actuator and if more needed use the bleed valve. make sure your AEI line is plumbed incorrect also should go to inlet and have a T in for your crap valve.

Think your best getting a carb service kit, and re-doing all the carb vacum hoses again also replace the idle screw O'ring (Big brass screw on side of carb) and get yourself a new mix screw as this could also be part of cause.

Hunting is down to an air leak as already mentioned by other's.
    Last edited by James5; 09-05-2013 at 12:42.