Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sum one please help toad alarm

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Hello all

Had my new car not evan a week and its broke ;_(

Went for a drive got home and the starter had jammed and was running constantly,smoke started coming from under manifold so I disconected battery.

On reconecting it my alarm (toad ai606) wont prime fuel pump or start starter motor.

I have tried briding the fuel pump relay and that wont work pressumably the alarm wont let me.

I have tried entering the code via igntion to disable to no success.

Any suggestions before I then start my next post...How to remove toad alarm lol.

Thanks in advance Paul.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sum one please help toad alarm

I was joining the wrong wires for the fuel pump I can now bridge that (red and white wires).

How can I bypass the imobiliser for the igntion?

I have tried taking the relay out to the aie and cleaning that up but still no joy.

Is there a way of briding that?

Thanks

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 12 volts to the aei relay too.

Has anyone got a pic of which wires need to be conected to turn the igntion ie hot wire please?

I can see some thick orange wires under the dash going to ignition, calling all car theifs ;_)

Post Thanks / Like

fuel pump dos'nt prime unless starter is turning over some kind of safety thing
    if alarm was working before start from begining by opening and closing all doors bonnet and boot then lock the car with remote then open and try and turn over

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi many thank for reply,I have tried as you suggested all last night,evan disconecting battery with all doors locked and holding down bonnet sensor before re-atatching bat and disarming with no success.

Is ther no wires I can bridge at the aei just to see if it turns and starts?

Post Thanks / Like

The AEI only has 3 wires going to it on the main plug, a 12v ign feed, earth and the tacho sensor wire.

Worth checking to make sure its getting 12v on the yellow wire (12v) when ignition is on and its cranking

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have checked aei relay that has 12 volts with ignition on,car wont crank at all.

Which wire/s do I need to run a live to withot physicly running a wire onto the starter motor itself?

Thanks for reply.

Post Thanks / Like

If you've had smoke from starter area and now it won't turn over sounds like the soleniod wire has poss burnt out, on the starter you should see a white wire with a spade terminal on it this is the 12v wire that connects to the solenoid.

Check you have 12v going down it when the ignition key is in the cranking position

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggydowg22 View Post

Have checked aei relay that has 12 volts with ignition on,car wont crank at all.

Which wire/s do I need to run a live to withot physicly running a wire onto the starter motor itself?

Thanks for reply.
    You also want to check the AEI unit itself, not just the relay

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok il check the aei unit at the 3 plugs (I only have two as have knock sensor loom is missing)

My neighbors probably hait me ive been up and down the stairs like a yo yo all day (I live in a flat with woodern stairs )

Thanks for replys.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok il check the aei unit at the 3 plugs (I only have two as have knock sensor loom is missing)
    Its the bottom 3 pin plug you want to check, that will have the yellow 12v power wire on it

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That has power to it, does this sight have a photo uploader part like a photobucket.

There is a fuse holder with no fuse in it on the drivers side wing that goes to a small black relay with a metal bracket on it holding it to the wing thats bugging me.

Post Thanks / Like

That has power to it, does this sight have a photo uploader part like a photobucket.

There is a fuse holder with no fuse in it on the drivers side wing that goes to a small black relay with a metal bracket on it holding it to the wing thats bugging me.
    Ok so AEI unit has power.

Yeah you can just upload a pic on the thread, below where you tpye there's another section to upload the pics. No need for photobucket

Not too sure what fuse holder your on about as there aren't any up there, stick a pic up if you can of it and where it is.

Does the starter motor have 12v going to it when cranking down the thin white wire?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

here is pic of fuse holder.

It has power going to it too not sure what its for.

I havn't checked the white starter motor wire for power yet I suspect not.

Post Thanks / Like

that looks like it's tapped into the wiring were your perc fan should be(strange)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no fuse in it so cirucit isn't joined although I did stick a fuse in it yesterday to see what happened,it did nothing.

What to do next then guys?

Post Thanks / Like

That fus holder and relay don't look factory so god knows what it does.

Check for 12v at the starter solenid mate when cranking, that should be next thing to check

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive just gone and fetched my axles stands from mums garage,so 2m after work il jack car up get drivers wheel off and have a look at starter motor wiring properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you see if it has 12v coming down the small wire when cranking and not the big main cable.

If you do have 12v then you got simple starter fault, if not we'll go on from there.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Markey Mark,one thing I was thinking what would cause the starter motor to carry on trying to start once the engine is turned off?

Maybe I have an electrical wire melted togther with an earth underneethe the starter, and because of this the aei isnt getting the signal to both prime fuel pump and turn engine over.

There was smoke from under the engine yesterday before I managed to get the battery disconected so maybe some wires are fused togther.

Going to invest in a haynes manual mt thinks.

Il keep this post updated thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Markey Mark,one thing I was thinking what would cause the starter motor to carry on trying to start once the engine is turned off?

Maybe I have an electrical wire melted togther with an earth underneethe the starter, and because of this the aei isnt getting the signal to both prime fuel pump and turn engine over.

There was smoke from under the engine yesterday before I managed to get the battery disconected so maybe some wires are fused togther.

Going to invest in a haynes manual mt thinks.

Il keep this post updated thanks again.
    Like i said earlier and in the other clubs thread sounds like a melted wire to me and the main earth is touching the solenoid wire which is keeping it going. The starter is earth through the block so no earth wire.

Just so you know the reason you haven't got fuel pump working is because the engine isn't rotating, the aei gets a signal from the timing sensor which when it sense's rotation will turn on the fuel pump relay which in turn turns the pump on.

Post Thanks / Like

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reply Ian I have decided its not an alarm fault and think its something to do with igntion wiring perhaps?

Ive just got under the car ive checked all wires to the starter and none have melted togther.

Realy stuck as to where to go from here think im going to put up a post asking for local member to come help for £

Post Thanks / Like

Did you check for 12v down the starter solenoid wire?

To me sounds like starter either gone or main power lead has touched the solenoid connection/wire and kept it running which caused the smoke.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi haven't checked for power down the wire need someone to turn key to position 3 whilst im under ther,mrs doesn't get home till late.

Ive had a thought could it be my igntion barel is foobarrd?

Post Thanks / Like

Your best of checking for voltage first at the starter solenoid, after that go from there rather then guessing.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok buddy im out ther with a torch but kind of a mission trying to hold both earth and positive wire and read multi meter.

I have got under again and wiggled the exciter wire I think,its a little cable that goes from small part of starter to big part and the car now clicks when I turn igntion just once ;-)

This is good news as I havn't managed that so farr.

Il get my workmates round tomorow one can turn engine the other read the multi meter and il hold it all in place.

The exciter wire has a plastic clip on it,does this come off as I think this maybe the wire that has bad conection,its loose and maybe abit melted.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok buddy im out ther with a torch but kind of a mission trying to hold both earth and positive wire and read multi meter.

I have got under again and wiggled the exciter wire I think,its a little cable that goes from small part of starter to big part and the car now clicks when I turn igntion just once ;-)

This is good news as I havn't managed that so farr.

Il get my workmates round tomorow one can turn engine the other read the multi meter and il hold it all in place.

The exciter wire has a plastic clip on it,does this come off as I think this maybe the wire that has bad conection,its loose and maybe abit melted.
    There's an easy way to check it by yourself, stick the neg multi-meter lead into the battery neg cable, take the solenoid wire off starter and put the pos multi-meter lead into the terminal of the wire, with the multi-meter set to dc volts turn the key into the cranking position and you should see 12v on multi-meter.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE ;-0

I have been out there rocked the car in gear and then tried to start it,the imobiliser light started flicking fast on and off every time I took the key out.

I have removed the starter solinoid wire and ran multy meter across it 12 volts whilist cranking then nothing when not cranking.

Ran a multy meter to the main starter terminal and constant 12 volts.

I take it above is how it should be and now I need to remove the starter and fit a new one?

Post Thanks / Like

Those voltages look good, new starter it is.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Supose its better the starter motor foobarrd then the alarm or worse ;_)

Il update this post after ive fitted a new starter gota get one now

Thanks for everyone's input

Post Thanks / Like

Yep!

I have got a toad alarm on mine. I have had a couple of issues with it. Sometimes when locking/unlocking either left and right indicators flash or only the right hand side flash, also it locks the doors after about 10 seconds after starting and sometimes it does'nt and then it has cut out twice now and I think this has something to do with the alarm.
    Thinking about getting a new one fitted I think there is a company in Portsmouth ( Dragon ) at least I can get a certificate for insurance purposes and then eliminate the alarm from the cutting out problems.

With regards to your starting problem it could be a wiring fault at the starter as discussed, you are welcome to have a look at mine if you need..I am in Waterlooville....