Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

turbo wear?

any idea how much play in the shaft is normal/ within tolerance?

on a t25 turbo?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: turbo wear?

Unless it's EXCESSIVE shaft play, there is really no way to determine it's out of tolerance without using the proper tools.(ie. taking it to a turbo rebuild shop). Your talking thousandths of an inch
    but if there's scoring on the housing then you are out of its tolerance and would need rebuilding and of course you would know this as the turbo wouldn't make boost and most likely screech as the housing eats the compressor/turbine blades

but even half a mil in and out inst good, my last r5 had about id say on a guestimate, up to 0.5 mill play up and down and the very slightest movement maybe even 0.1/2 mill in and out play and it didn't smoke boosted well right from 2k and handled 20psi all the time, and that was with a cracked turbine hosing i was later to find out but still it depends on how big the turbo is and if you think the play is so excessive it would foul the housing and ruin the turbo,
    sorry i don't know the exact answer but this is my own experience

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

that sounds like good advice to me, im after a t25 but was hoping to get a second hand one but they all seem to have play in them ( prob reason there for sale!!)

Post Thanks / Like

speak to adam l for a turbo or aboutgetting one rebuilt

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i never seem to see him online is he still around?

Post Thanks / Like

problem is i think the price of a rebuild on a t25 can be daunting to some people, and opt for these ebay jobbies but they wont be larfing in a few k's when the thrust bearing falls apart,
    yer Adam does a superb job i think hes rebuild just about all of the top guys here (the guys with awesome 5s that is) and every one in between,

tho even if you pick up a very cheap t25 then it would be worth it, the shame of it is its one of those parts that cant be really tested till its 100% together, so id say ethier a rebuilt one from the word go any how or try look for a low mileage r5 that has one going spare. in all honesty if it was me i would look for one with the least amount of wear play wise and from someone you can trust or on ebay has high feedback numbers and 100% rating

jrp speaks to him still i think,