Post Thanks / Like

Fuel pressure regulator

If the fpr on a 5gtt was faulty could it make my car run rich on part throttle and throughout the rev range? I was on a modified carb but have majour rich fuelling and I've now put a std carb on with similar issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuel pressure regulator

It might be worth trying another mate as there fairly simple to swap over, as you say you've tried a few carbs now so worth eliminating it

Post Thanks / Like

put a foot pump on the fpr pipe that goes to the top carb press down pump and see if it holds pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a few feet of fuel pipe and a gauge so I will get a few readings.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel reg only provides low pressure to fill the float chamber, if it were faulty i'd guess it'd totally flood it. Also reg's are one of the very few things i've never had a fault with on any Renault.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=car.crash;272264]If the fpr on a 5gtt was faulty could it make my car run rich.[/QU

nope..................id double check the AEI line............for leaks...........

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly if the fuel pressure was too high and overspilling the bowl. From experience they usually dont give enough pressure though when there on the way out or spew way too mich fuel in via the pressure reference pipe when the diaphragm is split!

Yours is probably mega rich on the mid range fuelling due to the cam mate, i couldnt lean mine off with the old dd cam in.

Post Thanks / Like

It's on the very light throttle that I get issues. It sits in the 8 and 9's but if I go to mid or high my fuelling is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

ok so i have renewed the 4mm pipe from the barb to the aei and added the boost gauge into the line and im getting -10 vac at around 900 rpm and -20 vac if i rev it abit more.

i also added a gauge into my fuel line and im seing 4.5 psi fuel pressure at idle and the same if i rev the car.
    so far i have not test driven it yet but do these readings seem normal?
    Last edited by car.crash; 31-05-2012 at 21:29.

Post Thanks / Like

i also have braking issues which could be related, pedal sits at differant heights and occasionally sticks on. i also get a hard pedal below 3000 revs and the pedal gets softer higher up the rev range.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    i also have braking issues which could be related, pedal sits at differant heights and occasionally sticks on. i also get a hard pedal below 3000 revs and the pedal gets softer higher up the rev range.
    I am no expert but that has gota be a vacume problem maybe a leak from manifold to servo have you taken pipe off and checked It also does it hold vacume when you turn engine off just an idea

Post Thanks / Like

The one way valve in the back of the manifold is functioning fine. The pipe to the servo is new and the one way valve is new. What's the best way of checking to see if it holds vacuum?

Post Thanks / Like

You say you have got a vacume gauge does it read constant or with ignition then it reads?

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I turn on the ignition the boost gauge works. It's taped into my 4mm pipe from carb to aei unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Start the car get the vacume up then turn it off and watch the gauge see if it drops if its bad the gauge will drop rapidly also has the brake fluid gone black

Post Thanks / Like

Brake fluid looks normal gold colour. I will check the vac and also tap a proper vacum gauge into my spare port on the manifold and get a reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    Brake fluid looks normal gold colour. I will check the vac and also tap a proper vacum gauge into my spare port on the manifold and get a reading.
    Yea try that let me know be intresting to see what it is