Post Thanks / Like

WTF! Thats not supposed to happen!.....is it.?

i recently purchase a set of new rear disc with new bearings pressed in + pads.

i puchased them from Leigh regarding This Thread

well i removed my old rear discs today and proceeded to fit these new discs...

i simply slotted the new discs over the shaft to give them a once over(without torquing the nut up),
    i then proceeded to remove the disc from the shaft to degrease the disc.... but half of the wheel bearing was left behind on the shaft and the other half still in the disc i then just slid the rest of the bearing off the shaft!

now im assuming this isnt supposed to happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTF! Thats not supposed to happen!.....is it.?

It's an angular contact bearing, it's suppose to happen.

Once you've tightened the disc onto the shaft with the hub nut (i.e removing old bearings) you'll need to grind through that half of the bearing to remove it from the shaft as it butts up against the larger dia on the shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuTHC View Post
    It's an angular contact bearing, it's suppose to happen.

Once you've tightened the disc onto the shaft with the hub nut (i.e removing old bearings) you'll need to grind through that half of the bearing to remove it from the shaft as it butts up against the larger dia on the shaft.
    pardon sorry,things are confusing at the best of times

so your saying i can fit this disc by fitting that half of the bearing over the shaft and then torquing up the hub nut.?

to be honest ive never seen this happen to other rear wheels bearings in the past

my old disc which i removed still has both parts of the bearing still in the disc!

forgot to add, these new discs/bearings were previously fitted to leighs car, but for how long i dont know. the discs are in good condition as are the pads so im assuming they havent seen many if any miles.

Post Thanks / Like

yes its meant to happen ,there are 2 halves of the bearing .
    just before you stick it back on put loads of grease on it job done

Post Thanks / Like

heres 1 for you , i just done the brakes on my clio trophy few weeks back bought the rear discs with the bearings already pressed in , i just took them from the box had a quick look at them then fitted them , had no reason to remove circlip to make sure it was seated correctly ,anyway i had not really drove the car in 3 weeks as the mrs was using it , but on friday i noticed a grinding noise coming from the rear brakes

managed to get a chance to check it last night and it turned out one side never had the bearing correctly fitted ie the circlip wasnt sitting in the groove so the disc had been floating and when turning right it was grinding off the caliper bolts on the inside suppose it couldve been worse if i had been using the car , i always jump init and blast the cobwebs out it so i hate to think what wouldve happend if the bearing colapsed .

anyway im hoping to be getting replacement disc and bearing from the company i got them from , but ive now been told that the place i got them from buys them in as OE replacements with bearing pressed from renault so he has to contact them to see what they say , mean while my car is sitting on axle stands , the bearing was gubbed and the disc is warped , i feel im entitled to replacements as there was no istruction given that i should check the bearings before fitting ..

wonder how many others may be driving around with the bearings with the circlip not fixed in proper ??

do i have a case or will i be onto plums?

Post Thanks / Like

well thank fook for that! was about to kick some ass

bit of a problem though, theres this thin metal washer type bit, but im unsure at which area i came from.?

well ive fitted both discs and torqued the hub nut up (160nm) and all seems ok

sorted, thanks