Post Thanks / Like

renault megane 1.5 dci, to buy or not to buy?

my sister is looking to buy a new car, and wants to spend around 3k
    she has a small family 2 children and her bloke so needs something sensible.
    shes been looking at bmw touring, golf gti's, audi a4's then today she phoned up all exited i think she found this renault megane its the top end of her budget and i just think she could find something better if she shopped around a bit more well here it is http://www.colinludwell-cars.co.uk/view.asp?ID=513
    we will be very greatfull for any advice here what are theys cars like anyone owned one?
    or do you have anything suitable for sale?
    thanx.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: renault megane 1.5 dci, to buy or not to buy?

Mate, I have the 1.9 DCI and its a good engine, but they seem to have a weakness around the turbo/EGR Valve. If the EGR has been replaced then chances are the turbo will go next. Give it a test drive and listen carefully for a whirring noise, slight whistling is OK as you'd expect from a turbo, but if it sounds like its whirring walk away!
    Ive just had this and it cost me £600 to rapair, spoke to renault and they said its very common for the DCI's to go at 60-70k

Post Thanks / Like

I had a brand new 3door 1.5dci dynamiqu and loved the drive. Its noisey on the motorways but MPG was great! my ex could get 1000+ miles out of a tank, i could only manage 500!

Had some probs with dash electrics and noisey breaks (all the time)!

Post Thanks / Like

good car but high milage tho suffer with squeaky brakes and turbo issues long as it has been service regulary as think its £35 year tax on the 1.5dci and resonable on insurance

Post Thanks / Like

thanx for the advise here guys, id rather she didnt buy it, but its upto her and i think she will, ill make sure shes aware of theys faults and listens carefully on test drive