Post Thanks / Like

Almost binned it ..oops

I rarely loose control of a car (badly) as i consider my self quite a reserved and carefull driver and rarely go near the limits of the car, however last night through the empty lanes i hit a long sweeping right hand a bit hard and the back of my r5 lost traction, it hooked around and i gave it full left lock to try to keep it from 180°, i slid onto the other side of the road at this point 90° out facing the hedge and continued to slide whilst the front bumper just whipped at the hedge. When the car finally stopped and i unpuckered my arse cheeks i reversed the car back and continued on my way.. only damage is a 2cm scuff on the lower edge of the front bumper.

Ive only had 2 close ones in 3 years of driving so i think thats pretty good, still though i dont plan to outright bin anything anytime soon so maybe ill slow dwn coming into that corner next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Almost binned it ..oops

I almost done that on a long right bend once in my old GTT, pretty much drifted it Then 5hitted it

Post Thanks / Like

If it meant to do it.. it would of been seriously cool, however i didnt lol.

Post Thanks / Like

You learn every day.... I almost smashed up my dad BMW 2 days ago going to the body shop... country lanes... i was with in the speed limit just misjudged a bend. traction control or not the 5 series rear end went mad on a very wet bit of road!

So if that happens whilst well with in the speed limit and cars limits god help me if id been speeding.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had the rear of a Renault out. I nearly slammed my 200sx into a kerb once though. Coming off a roundabout, well within the speedlimit (I was probably going about 15-20mph), but it was in the soaking wet with crap tyres. I put my foot down ever so slightly, and certainly not aggresively, and the rear end just went, pointing me toward the kerb. Luckily it wasn't too busy and I had plenty of space to correct it! I shat myself after that, and felt like I couldn't trust it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a crash or a near incident in 12 years of driving and for 6 years I was doing 50k+ miles a year. The only reason I can see why you would is if you are driving too fast or there is snow/ice on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
    I have never had a crash or a near incident in 12 years of driving and for 6 years I was doing 50k+ miles a year. The only reason I can see why you would is if you are driving too fast or there is snow/ice on the ground.
    Whilst in the majority of situations that is true, it isn't always the case. Other factors can cause a near incident or a crash. Things like oil on the road, or someone else pulling out on you, or poor road conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Or eyeing up a bird bent over emptying her lawn mower...

I'm always on the look out for a bit of ass in my car...of the female variety

Post Thanks / Like

same thing happened to me on a long left hander in my first gt turbo in the tunnels under birmingham. - i over corrected and bounced it off two walls....

happy days - lol

Post Thanks / Like

glad im not the only one then , my immediate thought was is this going to roll grip and roll like ive seen in many videos, my second was.. which part of the hedge am i going to hit.

Post Thanks / Like

You done well not to lose it completely mate.

I done it on the way to pick up a curry a few weeks ago. Going over a roundabout in the town centre about 15-20 mph, and next thing the car feels like its slipping. But not thinking, I lifted off and spun 180 and ended up rolling backwards.
    Luckily I didn't hit anything, I was more worried about my girlfriend in the car wih me.

It was pretty darn wet though.

Post Thanks / Like

I nearly spun on the way back from Nat Day '07 - was heading to the motorway with some of the northern lot, took the slip road off, gave everyone a wave and a toot, then the back end started to slide out right, then left, then right ... apparently they all saw it and went around the roundabout to check I was still alive ... but ol' Stirling Moss here managed to keep it going the right way

I blame it on that load of diesel that was spilt on the previous roundabout (that apparently nobody else saw ??? )

Needless to say, I drove a little slower the rest of the way ...

Post Thanks / Like

I once did the same thing, however mine was most defiantly due to over exuberance

I paid the price for it as I was met by a telegraph pole then a wall! Lift off over steer was my undoing, it was a little wet started to tourq steer on to the wrong side of the road and instinctively lifted off the throttle the car just spun round 180 then smashed into the above offending items! Gutted

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to going on track with you all at Mallory.

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    You learn every day.... I almost smashed up my dad BMW 2 days ago going to the body shop... country lanes... i was with in the speed limit just misjudged a bend. traction control or not the 5 series rear end went mad on a very wet bit of road!

So if that happens whilst well with in the speed limit and cars limits god help me if id been speeding.
    to be honest i live in and around country lanes and i must admit i think people whomb drive like tits in them are c***s and they are allways the people id like to get out of the truck i drive towing the woodchipper and give them a few good words followed by a beating.., most of the time they are on the oppisite side of the lane and dont know that folk live in and around the area ,what is it with people , get out on track and grow up..., this isnt aimed soley at you jerps but ive heard this on loads of posts on here and its really pee`s me off...., feckin wanna be F1 drivers...
    Last edited by jesus in the seat of a 5; 30-07-2009 at 19:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T.K View Post
    Looking forward to going on track with you all at Mallory.
    I'll be the one facing you