Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: bringing my 5 back from the dead

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    And then it went BANG at 14psi not pulled it apart yet but I'm guessing head gasket

Phil, that's such a ****ter matey after such a short amount of time, but VNT + very High comp C1J engine + standard ignition timing doesn't work. Lower that compression and look into mappable ignition matey unless you can afford to go EFI yet.

I feel for you matey i know the amount of time and money you have spent on the car at least you have had some good times and made some effort's in the car though

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Phil, that's such a ****ter matey after such a short amount of time, but VNT + very High comp C1J engine + standard ignition timing doesn't work. Lower that compression and look into mappable ignition matey unless you can afford to go EFI yet.
    Er i ran a 9 to 1 ratio, standard timing and 20psi on my vnt for two years before i went efi and the only blow ups were my fault and the not the setup.

What comp ratio, you running fella?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Er i ran a 9 to 1 ratio, standard timing and 20psi on my vnt for two years before i went efi and the only blow ups were my fault and the not the setup.

I think Phil's setup is around 9:1 also and it det's below 14psi.

My old setup was 8.6:1 and detted over 21psi and ignition timing was fully retarded, I only blew mine up when I moved the ignition back to standard and every time within 5 miles of doing so H/G would go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post

I'm running 8.8:1 mate and I'm sure I could here det well before the boost was up to 15 psi afr's were reading around mid 10's to low 11's so well to rich temp gauge was fine and sitting on the first mark on the gauge but after a quick burst up the road it picked up a misfire and was just plooming out White smoke I have a feeling whatever it is it's to do with the cylinder 2nd along from the water pump as I done a comp test a while before and noticed that bore was a lot lower compared to the rest of the cylinders. If it's the h/g I'm not to worried and can probably get it running again the same day but my problem is what has caused this at only a bar of boost has anyone ever had this before ? Water bottle was completely pressurised and had thrown coolant out the expansion cap on the bottle

Engine has covered about 800 miles and had also had three oil changes

Post Thanks / Like

I had this problem last year it turned out the aei was shagged was pinking as the car built boost and on boost @ 13psi. Changed the aei and all was good.

But other issues could be are the timing sensor wires the right way round? bb tuning did timing sensors that where like this brand new in the packet or have you chopped it and switched the wires your self? I use to do this while running a engine in to just make go a bit better@ 0 to stock boost levels. Might be worth a check?

Post Thanks / Like

What a cnut fella. Shame to hear that you have done such a good job with the car as well. Was you using that copper gasket in the end matey? As stated try another aei fully retard the timing sensor and see how that goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    What a cnut fella. Shame to hear that you have done such a good job with the car as well. Was you using that copper gasket in the end matey? As stated try another aei fully retard the timing sensor and see how that goes.

From what Phil was saying on the phone yesterday the H/G used is a Payne type not sure if OK thickness or slightly thicker like uprated type yet.

Phil, when you take it apart you will have to upload pic's of the gasket and the bores, and the head.

Phil, I have a spare clio 16v coil pack matey, think you need to go mappable ingition

Post Thanks / Like

I still have the AEI off the Raider you can have Phil, let me know if you want it & I'll go over the yard & pick it up.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil, you might also want to think about getting some wire rings machined into the top of the liners.. Only prob is, is it's engine out job

Post Thanks / Like

stripped it down tonight and it looks like the cause is head gasket all steel liners are fine and pistons look fine just a bit black from over fueling head and valves all look fine aswell done a comp test a while ago and is showed that the cylinder second along from the water pump end was a lot lower like 30-40 psi lower and looking at the gasket it has a dented burn mark in it so would this of been why this cylinder was a lot lower on the comp test here are some pics you can see where the gasket has started going like an egg shape. this looks like it has been detting and i think its down to timming so im now on the hunt to see if i can get it efi'd asap so if any one has any efi parts they think they need to get rid of let me know what you have think i may end need to speak to scoff as im thinking of going adaptronic route
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by philr5t; 12-10-2011 at 01:17.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil, there was an ecu and loom in the classifieds not so long ago,maybe worth a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Ok car will now be off road for a while after deciding to go efi engine is soon to come out and have some more work done so hopefully it will be back up and running in a few months ready for next year quite excited now

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, how are you going to sort that engine to get the CR down though ?
    (sorry I missed your call, was busy at the time, I did try to ring you back mate)

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be hard as the forgies and the block itself have all been skimmed down, and I know the chambers on the head have had alot of work shame to attack the head to modify the compression.

Sorry Phil missed your call was @ Steve's at the time you called

Post Thanks / Like

Hope your ok phil after your AnE visit looking forward to more updates.. ohh darts soon?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Hope your ok phil after your AnE visit looking forward to more updates.. ohh darts soon?
    Cheers mate I feel ok just a bit of a frightener with the old ticker looks like I need to have more tests done it looks like I have what me old lady has when my heart goes out if sinc one minute fast the next really slow but all is ok at the mo mate

Post Thanks / Like

You take it easy Phil. Best you stop climbing on jrp's roof now.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate I feel ok just a bit of a frightener with the old ticker looks like I need to have more tests done it looks like I have what me old lady has when my heart goes out if sinc one minute fast the next really slow but all is ok at the mo mate
    Glad you're ok mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok a quick update a few goodies have arrived this week my adaptronic ecu wiring loom and 3 bar Cossie map sensor also got my brand new injectors yesterday siemens deka 550cc some more bits to be ordered on Tuesday so almost all the parts will be had within the next couple of weeks and then just be waiting on the manifold to be made so not to long I hope a big thanks to scoff for advice so far Will update when I have more parts and progress

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered all the sensors today with scoff so will hopefully see them by the weekend also managed to pick up a brand new Bosch 044 original fuel pump today for a great price and treated myself to a bracket for it as well so all that's left to get now is a fuel reg and the manifold made and that should be me dine with the parts for the efi now I just need to think what way I'm going with the engine

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good and seeing the quality of your car i am sure it will be fantastic, still think you should ditch the c1j and go F7p turbo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Sounds good and seeing the quality of your car i am sure it will be fantastic, still think you should ditch the c1j and go F7p turbo
    I said that to him last night & he put the phone down on me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I said that to him last night & he put the phone down on me
    Phil know's it make sense but I can see why he is sticking with the C1J after all the money he has thrown at the Big Jim spec C1J engine. F7 series engine makes so much sense I wish I had done it much sooner myself. You and revit hard Robbie need to take him out for a drive in your car's to show him what he is missing (well once you have finished yours that is).

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys there will be another engine once the c1j is finished but it won't be going in my 5 that's all I'm saying for now

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys there will be another engine once the c1j is finished but it won't be going in my 5 that's all I'm saying for now

You need to convince your old man to let you have that williams sitting out the front doing nothing it's ripe for a project OE looks but engine upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

Ok things are on the move again had big jim round last week looking at the best way to design the manifold he also had a look at the h/gasket that was on the car and it was the gasket itself which was at fault so nothing to do with high comp, fuel or timing any way engine came out last last cheers dave h for lending a hand so now going back to jim on Tuesday for another rebuild more head and cam work and to get the manifold mate so will update with pics when the progress moves forward about a month or so till I get it back

Cheers Phil

South East Regional Rep soapymech's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

got the adaptronic on yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soapymech View Post
    got the adaptronic on yet?
    Not yet mate but soon hopefully I have quite a few mods I can be getting on with though why the engine is away

Post Thanks / Like

Ok engine now down with big jim went over to his unit today and dropped it off very excited for what other extras are to come from this little engine only time will see if it's all worth it I am dreading the extra pie and mash I'm gonna be spending though but oh well will be old and boring one day will try and keep this updated looking forward to seeing the inlet manifold design and now possibly loosing the current 4 branch exhaust manifold and going for a bigger one off design

Cheers Phil

Post Thanks / Like

just looking at your gasket and pistons, not knowing anything else i'd of said there was water on the centre two cylinders being burnt, which usually would mean a warped head. make sure your head is nice and straight. and if you have had the block skimmed check the outer two cylinder liners arent protruding higher than the centre two. Im sure its all fine but its best to check

Post Thanks / Like

ok small update after now deciding to go efi the main block has had all its extra work done and is now complete and is just in need of a few brackets and the inlet and exhaust manifolds to be made so should be looking towards the end of feb for getting it back and then the fun begins

Post Thanks / Like

Good work phil

Post Thanks / Like

Get ya finger out phill n get it down the meet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    Get ya finger out phill n get it down the meet
    Mate I'm gagging to get the lump back as when it's nearly there I still need to get it up to scoff

Post Thanks / Like

new rims arrived today
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Nice

Post Thanks / Like

new rims arrived today
    Sod the rims, where's the engine & manifolds

Post Thanks / Like

Cracking rims there fella.

Now where's that engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil looking good matey, pic of them on the car would be nice

Post Thanks / Like

im gonna dummy fit them over the weekend on the car if all goes well ill order the tyres on monday as they have to come from germany for the make and size i want and then ill take some pics of them on the car when the tyres arrive

THE ENGINE
    all the extra mods have been done to try and squeeze a few more horses out somehow and the lump is all built up and complete,the inlet manifold is almost finished and then it just leaves the exhaust mani to be done and some brackets fitted to finalise things so end of the month i should have it back home

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds ace matey, defo make sure he puts a few brackets to hold the turbo up matey

Post Thanks / Like

im gonna dummy fit them over the weekend on the car if all goes well ill order the tyres on monday as they have to come from germany for the make and size i want and then ill take some pics of them on the car when the tyres arrive

THE ENGINE
    all the extra mods have been done to try and squeeze a few more horses out somehow and the lump is all built up and complete,the inlet manifold is almost finished and then it just leaves the exhaust mani to be done and some brackets fitted to finalise things so end of the month i should have it back home
    Sounds good..... we should have a wager... which red 5 will be finished 1st, yours or Marks

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good..... we should have a wager... which red 5 will be finished 1st, yours or Marks
    me and mark have had a wager mate that both our cars are done before your back driving a renault

Post Thanks / Like

so glad you got new rims. your old ones were pure aids.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by car.crash View Post
    so glad you got new rims. your old ones were pure aids.
    did you still wanna buy my old rims mate

Post Thanks / Like

did you still wanna buy my old rims mate

Post Thanks / Like

me and mark have had a wager mate that both our cars are done before your back driving a renault
    I have nearly done the 172 just the fecking aux belt & having spare time to fit it

Rims look good BTW

Post Thanks / Like

I have nearly done the 172 just the fecking aux belt & having spare time to fit it

Rims look good BTW
    Cheers mate and glad I could be assistance in finding you the 172 will it be at the next Surrey meet and will it make the fete day in June mate

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers mate and glad I could be assistance in finding you the 172 will it be at the next Surrey meet and will it make the fete day in June mate
    Might be @ the next meet, depends if the wife has a class that night or not, can't remember when her course finishes, been bloody Weds nights though
    I'm not sure if it's a keeper though...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

new rims arrived today

i love those wheels wanted to see a set on a five for ages!