Post Thanks / Like

turbo

think my turbo is shot,

the turbo will start to boost but doesnt have any acceleration in first gear, it is set up for 15 psi and reaches 10 in 2nd and all the way through. i checked the turbo the other day and there wasnt any play on the shaft. fecently had a problem with the oil feed and had to change it from the block. can only think that it hasnt had any oil to it and it is f@*#ed or something

thanx for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: turbo

does it smoke,
    what you using to read and control psi,

Post Thanks / Like

have you checked for boost leaks

Post Thanks / Like

were do i need to check for the boost leaks????

got a guage in the car for the boost.

had a leak with a dump valve and had to take it off could the line on that be leaking it is only blocked with a screw and tie rap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradzr5 View Post

had a leak with a dump valve and had to take it off could the line on that be leaking it is only blocked with a screw and tie rap
    check the boost pipes the intercooler any vac piping

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it could be mate, check that the vacumm pipe is sealed up nice and tight as any leak from the vacumm pipe to the AEI unit isn't good.

Post Thanks / Like

why isnt it good??? never had a turbo car before.

all a learning curve for me haha

Post Thanks / Like

just checked for vacum leaks cant find anything at all, anywere i thought there might be one is taped up and still he same, there is a slight kink in the oil feed pipe dunno if that might be the problem.

could a water leak have anything to do with white smoke and a smell of oil burning????

thanx for any help

Post Thanks / Like

silly question, but have u adjusted the throttle cable so you have full throttle on the carb? easy way to tell is can you lift accelerator up as well as press it down? also press it down and hold it, then check the carb has no more travel on the linkage... its something silly but has been the fault with the last 3 cars i've looked at with similar problems!

Post Thanks / Like

just checked for vacum leaks cant find anything at all, anywere i thought there might be one is taped up and still he same, there is a slight kink in the oil feed pipe dunno if that might be the problem.

could a water leak have anything to do with white smoke and a smell of oil burning????

thanx for any help

are you saying that the exhaust has blue or white or any other coloured smoke coming out the exhaust?

have you checked all intercooler pipe work to make sure that they are all on tight. One might have come slightly loose so you will get partial boost.

like its already been mentioned check all the vacumn hoses for splits or holes.

oil burning smell on tick over?

is there oil leaking from the rear exhaust housing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTmG15EKuiQ

does it look like that mwuahahaa
    Last edited by Maka; 15-06-2009 at 16:33.

Post Thanks / Like

same smoke but not half as much as that, and only does it every now and then not all the time.

checked everything and sealed up anything i think might be leaking, does the intercooler have pipes below it????

ya can lift the accelerator up and go down, will check see if there is any extra in the cable wen it is down fully. i personally havent tinkered with it but only had the car a few month, the choke is disconnected too dunno if that has anything to do with it.

the oil feed to the turbo, were it connects to the block there is a bolt that has a hole through it (cant remember the name of the bolt) but this has only started since i changed it, could it not be lined up properly????? tried tweeeking it and the boost does get worse but never better.

and is the car totaly not able to drive??? or can i make short journeys only reason is it is the only car in my house at the minute.

thanx for all this help hope i can get this problem resolved soon cause i am missing driving her haha

Post Thanks / Like

that smoke is caused by my turbo loosing the will to live.
    smelt of burning oil, choked people half to death on the M1, left a nice blue film of smoke on my clothes and skin when driving and caused countless amounts of roadrage.

slapped a new turbo on it and the car was completly fixed!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you take pictures of these oil pipes as it sounds like the oil feed to the turbo is shot, or maybe your oil pump is buggered...

Post Thanks / Like

if ya go on my profile there is some pics there, think it is pointed out were the split was in the pipe. the bolt i am on about runs through it

Post Thanks / Like

So is this pipe leaking quite badly when the engine is running and you rev the engine? I would replace this with a new pipe, or change the copper washers on it (if any) to make it seal properly again. They are called banjo connectors by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UNICRONICUS View Post
    So is this pipe leaking quite badly when the engine is running and you rev the engine? I would replace this with a new pipe, or change the copper washers on it (if any) to make it seal properly again. They are called banjo connectors by the way.

already changed it all there is no leak now, but the banjo bolt has a hole through it could this not be lined up correctly????? hense turbo not doin wot it does best?????

Post Thanks / Like

I had this exact problem, turned out my turbo wasnt even bolted onto the manifold tight, it had came lose and there were missing nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

was the turbo ok????

Post Thanks / Like

Ive just read in one of your posts that the choke cable has been removed from your car. Has the choke flap been removed? and if not is it held open?
    If nothing is holding it open it will eventually, over time with the vibration, work it's way shut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey B View Post
    silly Question, But Have U Adjusted The Throttle Cable So You Have Full Throttle On The Carb? Easy Way To Tell Is Can You Lift Accelerator Up As Well As Press It Down? Also Press It Down And Hold It, Then Check The Carb Has No More Travel On The Linkage... Its Something Silly But Has Been The Fault With The Last 3 Cars I've Looked At With Similar Problems!
    Lol Yep I No All About That Now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuTHC View Post
    Ive just read in one of your posts that the choke cable has been removed from your car. Has the choke flap been removed? and if not is it held open?
    If nothing is holding it open it will eventually, over time with the vibration, work it's way shut.

had a problem with it over fueling it is held open now, but will check it, could the cause of all this be over fueling????????

Post Thanks / Like

is there any1 in the newcastle on here that could maybe come have a look and give me a hand tryin to sort it please

really miss not bein able to drive haha

Post Thanks / Like

what part is it within a turbo unit that is worn when you can move the shaft side to side a little..?

also whats worn if the shaft can be pulled in/out a little.?

ive got no in/out movement on the spare t25, just a little side to side movement and was think if an eBAY rebuild kit would sort this out.?

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    what part is it within a turbo unit that is worn when you can move the shaft side to side a little..?

also whats worn if the shaft can be pulled in/out a little.?

ive got no in/out movement on the spare t25, just a little side to side movement and was think if an eBAY rebuild kit would sort this out.?
    In and out I believe is oil seals, a little side to side is normal and will fill with oil when in operation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    In and out I believe is oil seals, a little side to side is normal and will fill with oil when in operation
    ok, but what would excessive side to side play suggest.?